cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Speeds

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you think States, like California, have a maximum speed of 55-mph when towing? Someone told me that the tires on most trailers, including semi-trucks, are not made for speeds over 55-mph; is this correct?
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel
75 REPLIES 75

Community Alumni
Not applicable
DutchmenSport wrote:
DanNJanice wrote:
... The faster you drive the more time to stop, the heavier you are the more time to stop.

True... and remember, time equals distance you know. It takes more distance to stop a 15,000 pound 5er, than it does to stop a 3,000 pound car. You may be able to stop the car at 60 mph in 200 feet; the 5er at 60 mph may take 1000 feet!

1000ft stopping distance would be valid if the trailer didn't have working brakes. The brakes equipped are designed to stop the GVWR of the TV and trailer respectively. Since the trailer will stop itself, there shouldn't be very much of a difference between stopping a fully loaded TV and one that's towing a heavy trailer. If the trailer is equipped with brakes then it should not push the TV. If it does then something is wrong.

Also, weight is only one factor that goes into braking distance. There's also the design of the braking system, tires, size of components, etc. It's perfectly possibly that a heavy combo can out brake a lightly loaded light vehicle. In this video, this truck stops faster than quite a few vehicles that I've owned that are far lighter. The kid may have not been so lucky if the vehicle was a car.

Video

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, Txtwosome. โ€œand this is about the stupidist thing i have ever read!โ€

Want my comments on Texas laws? Or do you just want to call others stupid?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
I think here in Arizona it was called wasting a finite resource, and you could only get that ticket in the city limits not out on the main highway in the middle of nowhere.

As far as motorcyclists go, if you are not a season motorcycle rider then most of the people wouldnโ€™t even understand. No we cannot read minds but we do have a better understanding of situational awareness, because our lives depend on it. I personally think lane splitting should be limited to only when there is a back up when cars are going less than 5 mph and the motorcycle speed limit should be only 20 mph. I have done it in big back ups in California and it was a little scary. The only good thing is is that most Californians seem to know so it works there. If you try that in Phoenix you would be dead.

I think over all, seasoned motorcycle riders on this board may have a slight advantage. We are used to constantly making sure we donโ€™t get killed so we look ahead more, we donโ€™t have a radio to fidget with, we donโ€™t have anyone to talk to, we are not texting or talking on our phones, after 10 to 30 years of motorcycling experience you transfer this over to your car/truck/towing/driving and it helps to look ahead and guess what other drivers are going to do from your experience. Sadly Iโ€™m sure all the non-motorcyclists will chime in saying that oh you think youโ€™re better than everyone else but thatโ€™s not the case itโ€™s just experience on the road that helps us stay safe.

X2 on this. As an rv TT driver and motorcycle rider of several years I have learned to ride 15 seconds in the future. You constantly scan traffic ahead of you looking for potential problems.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
I have towed in Ca. Towing at 55 when everyone else is doing 75~90+ MPH is crazy dangerous.
I did it for a day before I got so tired of the near collisions that I finally brought it up to 65~70. Far fewer problems after that.
Some laws are plain stupid and meant to be broken.

Thank- You,,, that is what I was going to say.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
I think here in Arizona it was called wasting a finite resource, and you could only get that ticket in the city limits not out on the main highway in the middle of nowhere.

As far as motorcyclists go, if you are not a season motorcycle rider then most of the people wouldnโ€™t even understand. No we cannot read minds but we do have a better understanding of situational awareness, because our lives depend on it. I personally think lane splitting should be limited to only when there is a back up when cars are going less than 5 mph and the motorcycle speed limit should be only 20 mph. I have done it in big back ups in California and it was a little scary. The only good thing is is that most Californians seem to know so it works there. If you try that in Phoenix you would be dead.

I think over all, seasoned motorcycle riders on this board may have a slight advantage. We are used to constantly making sure we donโ€™t get killed so we look ahead more, we donโ€™t have a radio to fidget with, we donโ€™t have anyone to talk to, we are not texting or talking on our phones, after 10 to 30 years of motorcycling experience you transfer this over to your car/truck/towing/driving and it helps to look ahead and guess what other drivers are going to do from your experience. Sadly Iโ€™m sure all the non-motorcyclists will chime in saying that oh you think youโ€™re better than everyone else but thatโ€™s not the case itโ€™s just experience on the road that helps us stay safe.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
Atlee wrote:
That is a perceived right that really doesn't exist, the right of states to set their own speed limits.

Back during the great oil embargo in the 1970's, the Federal government forced ALL states to lower their top speed limit to 55 mph. How could the Feds do this, you ask? Money, is the answer.
The Feds give out beau-coups of money for highways. The Feds threatened to cut off all money to states that did not comply to the Federal demand. The states, being addicted to this money, quickly fell into line and obediently lowered their respective speed limits.

gmw photos wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Let me switch thst question up a hit. Why do states restrict interstate highway speeds when other states dont?

These kinds of laws fall into the category of "states rights". So they can vary from one state to the next.

The republik of kalifornia is kinda like it's own little fifedom, so it's hard to compare it to other states.

Not trying to be argumentative here, and I do hear what I think you are trying to say about behind-the-scenes shenanigans, but facts are facts.

"The National Maximum Speed Law (NMSL) in the United States was a provision of the Federal ......snip....

"The NMSL was modified in 1987 and 1988 to allow up to 65 mph (105 km/h) limits on certain limited access, rural roads. Congress repealed the NMSL in 1995, fully returning speed limit setting authority to the states."

Therefore, California, just all the other states gets to set their speed limits, even on highways that receive federal funding to build and maintain.
That is the heart of the answer to the OP's question here.

Donn0128, not sure how long you have lived in Oregon, but think back to when John Kitzhaber was governor, he was also an ER doctor, speed limit in Oregon remained at 55 for a very long time. We now have some 65 mph area south on I5, and east on I84, but only after he was out of office.

actually, there are only a few sections of oregon interstate with 55mph limit, usually around major cities. otherwise it's 65 near major cities and 70 otherwise. much of southern I5 is 70 as is 84 east of hood river. and the truck limit is higher in these sections as well.

not as high as idaho, washington or Montana.

And I remember the gas crisis. In Montana a citation for going over 55 was not a moving violation, could be paid on the spot,didn't go on your record, didn't get report to insurance companies and was a ticket for "waisting a natural resource". I just carried some extra cash. Only would get a moving violation citation if you exceeded the old "reasonable and prudent" limit. But at the same time anyone driving a state vehicle had to stay under 50!
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
TxTwoSome wrote:
Experienced motorcyclists have told me that lane splitting is perfectly safe, that they can tell when (for example) someone is going to suddenly change lanes in front of them without signaling. Not being a biker, I have no way to know if that is true or not.

I have ridden Motorcycles for over 40 years and this is about the stupidist thing i have ever read!

An experienced motorcyclist learns to be accomplished at defensive riding. While mind reading is not possible, knowing signs to watch for does help. Lane splitting...not the best idea. An experienced rider, or driver, needs to mentally ask the question...what am I going to do/where can I go, if the other driver does this. You need to know that answer before it happens. The more times you are caught in a situation, with no way out, if you needed it, the odds of being killed is greatly increased.

Sorry for the off topic

Jerry

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
gmw photos wrote:
Atlee wrote:
That is a perceived right that really doesn't exist, the right of states to set their own speed limits.

Back during the great oil embargo in the 1970's, the Federal government forced ALL states to lower their top speed limit to 55 mph. How could the Feds do this, you ask? Money, is the answer.
The Feds give out beau-coups of money for highways. The Feds threatened to cut off all money to states that did not comply to the Federal demand. The states, being addicted to this money, quickly fell into line and obediently lowered their respective speed limits.

gmw photos wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Let me switch thst question up a hit. Why do states restrict interstate highway speeds when other states dont?

These kinds of laws fall into the category of "states rights". So they can vary from one state to the next.

The republik of kalifornia is kinda like it's own little fifedom, so it's hard to compare it to other states.

Not trying to be argumentative here, and I do hear what I think you are trying to say about behind-the-scenes shenanigans, but facts are facts.

"The National Maximum Speed Law (NMSL) in the United States was a provision of the Federal ......snip....

"The NMSL was modified in 1987 and 1988 to allow up to 65 mph (105 km/h) limits on certain limited access, rural roads. Congress repealed the NMSL in 1995, fully returning speed limit setting authority to the states."

Therefore, California, just all the other states gets to set their speed limits, even on highways that receive federal funding to build and maintain.

Donn0128, not sure how long you have lived in Oregon, but think back to when John Kitzhaber was governor, he was also an ER doctor, speed limit in Oregon remained at 55 for a very long time. We now have some 65 mph area south on I5, and east on I84, but only after he was out of office.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Safety, consideration, awareness.
How I drive and how I have survived.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:

gmw photos wrote:
donn0128 wrote:

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Experienced motorcyclists have told me that lane splitting is perfectly safe, that they can tell when (for example) someone is going to suddenly change lanes in front of them without signaling. Not being a biker, I have no way to know if that is true or not.

I have ridden Motorcycles for over 40 years and this is about the stupidist thing i have ever read!
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atlee wrote:
Poppycock. Have the "experienced motorcyclists" developed the ability to read people's minds?
profdant139 wrote:

Well a good driver should be able to have a good idea what the other drivers were going to do on the road. In my 50 years of driving I have gotten pretty good a sense what other drivers will do next, Would I Bet My Life On It, NO WAY!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Poppycock. Have the "experienced motorcyclists" developed the ability to read people's minds?
profdant139 wrote:

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II

gmw photos wrote:
donn0128 wrote:

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone is safer when all traffic is allowed to travel at the same speed.
55mph limits for some on 65mph highways is dangerous, outdated, and stupid.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL