Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with a pickup vs suburban

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer
Those of you that have a pickup does the tailgate go down with the
RV on the hitch or will it hit the hitch if you lower it all the
way. I use a suburban now but looking at a chevy pickup high country.
The suburban's rear tail gate lifts up and out of the way so I can
get to the gear and tools in the back but will the pickup allow me
to do this, I thinking not but where do you store your equalizer bars,sway bar, and other hitch parts? I have observed most everyone is using pickups now I'm probably the last one of the old timers that
use a suburban. I found a beautiful High Country pickup 2014 with very low miles and have been considering it to replace the suburban, it has a much higher weight rating for one thing which is a good reason alone to go with the pickup but it looks like it would be difficult to store the hitch parts when the tailgate is down so I would be reaching up and over the tailgate all the time. Where do you store the hitch parts if not in the back of the pick up?
20 REPLIES 20

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Provided my TT is inline with the Tahoe, I too can raise the back door but the clearance is only a half inch or so.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
We have a burb and a pickup truck and myself, I prefer towing with the burb but ours is a 3500 with the big V8.

Much more comfortable than the pickup truck.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I got my current trailer the tailgate would hit the electric tongue jack when I tried to lower the tailgate (it didn't hit with my previous trailer). I just got a longer drawbar for my hitch; problem solved.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will not open fully with the trailer hitched.
I put a side mount truck tool box on the front of mine. Holds all my towing equipment plus both batteries and a few other accessories. Lockable, looks good and easy access.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Chevy Silverado has no issues with tailgate being fully down when hitched to our TT with a power tongue jack. For nearly a dozen years we have stored our WD hitch bars right on the a-frame behind the batteries when RVing or when parked in our side yard.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
depends on the trailer. tailgates clear 95% of the different trailers I've hooked up over the years (100s of trailers likely).
All pickups are pretty much the same, back a truck up, any truck to your camper, your hitch, and see how much room you have.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold