cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toyota Highlander for towing

Harveyj
Explorer
Explorer
My brother is considering the new Highlander. It has a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs with factory installed tow package.
He has read some reviews that mentioned the shorter wheelbase and the IRS suspension caused handling problems. He is looking at trailers with a dry weight of around 2,700-2,800 lbs.
Does anyone tow with a Highlander that could provide some insight ?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
My 2008 Highlander has 170k miles on the odometer, and 140k of those are towing miles. I tow a cargo trailer for work with the HL, about 6x12 and 3000-3500 lb with hitch weight of 350-400 lb. Also until this summer I towed a KZ Spree Escape E14RB, about 2700 lb loaded, with several trips into the Rockies. Typical fuel economy towing is 11 to 12 mpg.

The HL is a good vehicle for towing, very stable and capable, except that on long grades at high altitude I would have to slow to around 40 mph in 3rd, sometimes 2nd gear. Also the transmission temp light started coming on during these tough climbs in 2013 (it hadn't done so before, and the dealership mechanics just shrugged). I elected to sell the KZ and buy a folding trailer, which lets me get 17-18 mpg and no strain at all on the HL. I'm still towing the cargo trailer for work though, and at low altitude around Tulsa it's absolutely fine.

I did use an Andersen No-Sway hitch for a year or so with the KZ, mainly to improve ride comfort (less jiggle over uneven pavement). Other than that I didn't feel a need for it as far as handling or safety. I had no problems at all with sway or anything like that.

I have not kept up with the changes they made to the HL in 2014, so YMMV.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few years back I bought a Toyota 4Runner and towed a tent trailer with it. I was planning on getting something bigger and did when we moved up to a hybrid. I stayed away from the Highlander at that time because it had a unibody versus a frame like the 4Runner. I had a friend that had a Toureg and was told that the unibody was not designed to handle a weight distributing hitch.

Since that time I have read conflicting reports of this so perhaps someone can jump in and give some up to date advice. I was not too concerned about the short wheel base of the 4Runner because I had my Equalizer hitch connected to a trailer that was well withing my limits and I was a very cautious driver. It served me well as long as I had it. Toyota makes some very dependable vehicles.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Probably be OK for 3K or less. Sounds like he hasn't bought yet. I'd look at 4-Runners and Sequoias too.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at the GCWR of the TV..... not the dry weight of a trailer.
Dry weights can be any number the mfg wants it to be . At what point is an RV weighed ? with all the options ? ...without ?

I would also be looking at the gross weight rating of the trailer. That's a more real number. That weight is where you will probably be closer to than any 'dry weight plus stuff' calculation.
ADD that to the combined weight rating of the Highlander and see where you sit .

I prefer a TV with a longer wheelbase and a larger fuel tank. I also prefer the more stiff suspension of a full size full frame vehicle. It handles crosswinds better . The frontal area of TT's effect suv towing more so than a full size truck.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I tow an Ascend 17 footer with my 2011 Highlander. does an adequate job of it and my dry weight was 3549 IIRC so a lightly loaded 2800 lb. should be fine. I would prefer a tacoma myself however.
bumpy

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Just out of curiosity I went an looked at Toyota's webpage for the Highlander. The only trailer they show it hooked to is a teardrop.

Couple of item to think about. No one ever pulls an empty trailer. Dry weights in a brochure are also just a guess and unless you are reading the sticker on the actual unit it's just an educated guess. So the 2,700-2,800# trailer is probably 3,500# with batteries, propane, and their personal items and food. Which is 400# on the hitch. The other is the profile of the trailer. A low riding trailer like a pop up is much different than a 10' tall TT.

2015 Highland tow specs

You have about 1,500# of cargo capacity by the website and you need an XLE or Limited to tow the 5,000#. The TT will take 500# (with WD hitch) which leaves less than 1,000#, possibly a lot less for passengers and other stuff depending upon actual vehicle options. Would have to weigh the Highlander to be sure of you actual capacities.

Personal opinion: Some vehicles are designed to haul people and the trailer is an after thought. A small trailer to do yard projects is one thing but a TT is a whole separate critter.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.