cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPMS on my dually

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I hate checking the tire pressure on my dually. Adding or removing air is nearly as frustrating. I have to take off the beauty rings on the rear wheels.

Not long after I bought the truck I purchased a TPMS system. It worked flawlessly until I destroyed (accidentally) the monitor when I set it down on the ramp door of my cargo trailer, then closed the door. I did that in May of 2012 when returning from the Overland Expo (OX12).

I've procrastinated ordering a replacement monitor for 3 years. Sad, eh?
I pursued ordering one at least 2 years ago and contacted the company, then I dropped the ball and never ordered it.
I finally ordered it today.

TireTraker

There's a lot of systems out there, which I researched back in 2010. This one was the best for my needs and served me well until I smashed it in the trailer door.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
10 REPLIES 10

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I inflate my tires once a year, so aces is not critical thing for me, but I lost couple of tires due valves extenders and hoses and am a bit frantic about putting additional stuff on the system, that without monitoring can ruin your day.
The sensors I used on motorhme are resetting themselves each time you screw them on to the current pressure, so it is important to install them in the morning on cold tires, when pressure is lower, so you will not have 3 AM alarm.
Are newer systems programmable from driver panel? Technology is amazing those days and what was big glitch few years ago, likely has easy solution today.

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 DRW Chevy in my sig line didn't have the option of TPMS so I purchased one made by TST. It has worked flawlessly for a couple of years, with only one battery change per sensor so far. The 507 with flow through sensors is the way I went which prevents frustration in filling the tire up and losing too much air when screwing a non flow thru sensor back on.

TST TPMS
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
kerry4951 wrote:
I never take the rear wheel covers off to check or add pressure to my dually. I have a few long air chucks that work great.

My gauges and chucks are long, but not angled quite correctly, so that's why I have to remove the wheel cover.
Part of it too is that I upgraded to solid metal valve stems (which is recommended when using external TPMS sensors) and they don't flex at all - unlike the rubber stems. Before switching stems, my tire tools worked fine.

I actually didn't switch to all steel stems until I replaced tires.... at which point I had already experienced one valve stem failure.... and that same trip. In fact, I wrecked the monitor when I was changing that flat tire!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Here's what I remember about why I chose the system I did:

1. Replaceable batteries in the sensors.
2. If a sensor is not within range, the monitor ignores it - meaning I can switch the sensors between trailers - 2 or 4 wheel trailers. Same with trucks - I could switch between a 4 and 6 wheel truck. When the monitor doesn't detect the missing sensor, it ignores it rather that throwing an alarm.
3. Cordless! No wires to run along the dash, etc. to power the unit up.
4. Small. I can set it in the center console and forget about it - it's not in the way.
5. It will monitor temperature.

There might be more reasons, but I don't recall at the moment.

I found this system (and several others) when I attended the Abq, NM FMCA Rally / Convention back in early 2010. I asked multiple questions about each system and kept going back and forth between all the vendors that had TPMS systems, asking more questions during my "research" on them.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I never take the rear wheel covers off to check or add pressure to my dually. I have a few long air chucks that work great. I bought a tire air gauge that fills the tire and also reads the pressure in one easy step for each tire. Takes me a few minutes to check and/or add air when I do it. Had a TPMS on my dually motorhome years back and it was more trouble than what it was worth. The best part was on those cold winter mornings about 3 AM when the tires got cold making the air pressure to go down, and causing the alarm in the monitor to go off.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have system that looks like tiretraker, but I bought it under different name years ago.
Did not set it on my dually as the tires hold the air for over a year, but I had the system on motorhome that I used on family trips and the way I figure out was using CrossFire valves for equalization and easy access and add single sensor on the top of it.
This way you have the best of all words and save money on extra sensors.

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
Did you ever consider "Cats Eyes"? They are a tire pressure equalizer setup. Sold at many major truck stop chains or you can find them at big rig tire shops and supply houses. I had 'em on my last three rigs, both on the trailer and tractors.

If a leak is detected it shuts off the air to the problem tire and an eye opens up on the guage which is mounted on each wheel hub, along with the single fill stem, alerting you to the problem on your next walk-around.

Dave

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'm not familiar with the OEM systems on the new GM trucks, so I can't provide any useful information about them.

Later tonight I will provide some more info about why I chose the aftermarket system I did.
Too busy to spend the time right now - I need to get the camper on the truck.

It will probably take me a few hours (while I'm working on other things) to remember all the reasons why I chose this system.

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Homeless by Choice wrote:
I have a 2015 Chevy 3500, DRW. It has some kind of tire malfunction warning devise built into it. I don't know what it is or how it functions.

I can't answer your questions, but I can help you with the above comment.

Whether they're a dummy-light system, or a fully monitor-able PSI TPMS system, they work through your Key-Fob receiver. Dummy-light systems are just that... dummy lights at low pressure, with a TPMS sensor in each tire.

The ones from the factory that display actual pressure/PSI also work through the Keyless Entry receiver via TPMS sensors in each tire. They will transmit every so often, not constantly. You could, in theory, get a quick leaker, and be flat before the system realizes it. Just keep that in mind.

They only transmit when in motion. It's not like they're sitting there pinging all night when your car is in the garage. After several thousand miles, the batteries inside each sensor go dead and you have to replace them. It's about the same time you need new tires. And no, you can't just replace the batteries - they're sealed in epoxy.

When the tire dealer install new ones, they reprogram your Keyless Entry receiver the same way as if you needed a new door keyfob. usually by either a series of honks by the horn, or a dash display saying which sensor to program when.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Chevy 3500, DRW. It has some kind of tire malfunction warning devise built into it. I don't know what it is or how it functions. Nothing shows up on any of the dashboard display modes. I have no idea what my tire pressure is without putting a gage on the valve stem and as you stated that is difficult.

1) Will this system work with or interfere with my truck's warning system?

2) Why did you initially choose this system?

3) If you were starting all over, are there other systems that you would consider?

Thanks,
LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side