cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning leak

Baidy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new awning on my Winnebago Minnie and it leaks where the cord is sewn into the fabric and then slides into the awning tube. I noticed on the outside that the leak is coming where the needle holes are on the top of the roll. Question? Is it safe to run a bead of silicone along the treads or will silicone react with the vinyl?
9 REPLIES 9

Baidy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, or online. Pretty much all of them carry it. I keep some for emergencies. Be prepared, it is SUPER sticky.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Baidy
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Baidy wrote:
Does anyone know if silicone would harm the awning material?

Silicone won't hurt it but it probably will not last long and will quickly look terrible. Many of the suggestions given earlier on would be a much better choice in my opinion. Tent seam sealer would be my choice. If the area is not visible, then the awning tape would do the job but it does change color a bit (darkens)after time.
Barney

Where would you get that? At a camping supply store?

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Baidy wrote:

Silicone won't hurt it but it probably will not last long and will quickly look terrible. Many of the suggestions given earlier on would be a much better choice in my opinion. Tent seam sealer would be my choice. If the area is not visible, then the awning tape would do the job but it does change color a bit (darkens)after time.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
Can you use some tent seam sealer?
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Baidy
Explorer
Explorer

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully the thread will swell enough to fill the hole. If not, they do make awning repair tape that would seal it up just fine. And less messy then silicone.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
use bees wax

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with the Bimini on my boat. I used a silicone waterproofing spray and that worked. BUT boat cover is more canvas based (sunbrella) and TT awning is more vinyl based. Read the label, might tell you.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC