cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR/3 : Threading the Needles (Canyonlands) part way

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
This was an exploratory, but ambitious trip plan that encountered a few problems (nothing serious as it turned out). But it was still interesting.
As usual, the whole report with more and larger pictures is on my web site at Needles, 2018 .

Here was the plan: see if it was possible to drive down the 'infamous' Bobby's Hole road into the south end of the Needles District, and if so, try to drive out Devil's Lane to the Green River / Colorado River confluence overlook.
Then a relatively easy drive through the Maze District out to the Millard campground on the Green River.

In the Manti La Sal NF.

Not the Bear's Ears.

Good advice -- both parts, near the top of Bobby's Hole.

Here's what it looks like sometimes. Only negotiable in the 2nd picture.

1st step down -- of course I walked it first.

Couple more decent size ledges, but not too bad this time.

Can see the bottom.

Made it. Stay tuned to see if I made it back.

But only a few miles farther -- end of the road for me.

90 degree turn over a very large rock, to a steep drop, with major left roll, over some boulders that I can't straddle, to a pretty large ledge. What could go wrong?

Spectacular country - but just out of reach, for me.

View from near the bottom. Yes, that's my hand.
I 'think' could make it down -- but back up looks more unlikely. So I would have been committed to getting through SOB hill and going out over Elephant hill. (look them up).

Made it back up Bobby's Hole. But it wasn't easy. Had to make a ramp of rocks, hit it hard, and keep going to get up the biggest ledge. Might not have made it without lockers. Even light weight jeeps use lockers here. Also, very loose dirt -- easy to dig in.

Minor problem - bent one of my Torklift tiedowns. Notice the step bar used as a rock guard.

Straightened it with a submarine torpedo winch - when I got home.

The high Manti La Sal.

One of my few favorite places -- the rim of Dark Canyon.

Poor day for pictures though. Colors are not showing.

Poor day for walking near the rim too, with 40+ mph winds.

The next morning, 2 days after any rough driving. I got apparently transient transmission codes. See trans codes if interested.
And even though I was able to clear the problem, being 50+ miles from cell service, and having seen no other vehicles in 4 days, it was a little spooky. So I decided to come back another time.
Cal
26 REPLIES 26

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Dave -- I actually meant to mention that. If anyone thinks that I'm just following Whazoo around the SW, answer this: where exactly has Whazoo NOT been???
Cal

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
What's THIS? NO WHAZOO'S?! Too late, Whazoo's been there but in a Jeep. Good one Cal, trying to keep the Whazoo out of Cheslers Park. Also, that is exactly why I don't use frame mount tie downs, I don't have a torpedo winch to fix them. Great trip there Cal, didn't you do more in Beef Basin though? Lots of ruins there. The problem I've run in to with GMCs and rocks is that our massive third unit, yes it is thank you, hangs down so far that unless you're running 37 inch tires the diff gets hung up a bit. Talk about an expensive tow out, you'd have to get a Sikorsky. And if you did make it down and all the way to Elephant Hill, the backside of the hill would be problematic. Awesome trip Cal, you did the right thing. Let Jefe deal with the carnage, he actually enjoys it. ๐Ÿ™‚

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
GpnAZ wrote:
I would have to tackle that with my Jeep instead!

That will work better than my effort. (but I probably slept better)
Cal

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip report and pics, that was quite an adventure, afraid I would have to tackle that with my Jeep instead!
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
Cal thanks for the report and pictures. Looked like an adventure and challenge all wrapped up in solitude; hard to crow to much about that. I'm sure Dave will drop in here in due time...

Ben & Tory
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
First off, Whazoo made the 'no Whazoos' sign in a long ago TR -- I just copied it, hoping to tweak him a little..
Second -- I was thinking about dismounting the camper, and was ready to do so if needed to get through SOB Hill. But didn't make it that far. I thought it was too sketchy to try that last spot alone, even with a winch and equipment, camper or not. That would have been fun, huh? Camper at the top, truck at the bottom. Me whistling in the wind.
Beside that, I was still wondering just a bit how hard it was going to be getting back up Bobby' Hole.
Another possibility was to walk. Maybe 12 miles each way - possibly do-able in a day. 2 mph? Humm.
Jefe -- looking forward to you and others making the trip. No doubt it can be done, and has been many times. I just wasn't going to risk it out there alone. April was a great time -- dry, no body else around, mild days, chilly nights.
Cal

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice pictures. I'm not sure why you don't just take off your camper for the harder parts though. Is it a really long trail?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Cal, nice descriptive trip report. The pix say it all.
Alright! We have a new destination. The "No Whazoos" sign is funny. Bro John and I have to go there, probably with 2 or 3 vehicles and not in the summer.
From the pix it looks doable with some effort....and a winch.....and low pressure....and lockers and technique.
Cool. Looking forward to another adventure like this.
Another option would be Beef Basin and environs.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Nice trip you had out there, we haven't explored the Needles area yet and I spotted the "No Whazoo" sign
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
A hint to my fellow readers: In order to read the little warning sign under the big warning sign, it is necessary to zoom in quite a bit.

Excellent report!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Man oh man! What a great set of pictures. Please keep posting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...
I'm there now, well Canyonlands that is...

Great job, it looked 'Iffy' even in a ORV Buggy...
nice... till everything goes 'South'...
thanks for sharing and where to stay away from, heheheh,
Nice trip.. thanks..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website