cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR: Yosemite Valley at Christmas Time

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yosemite, Christmas Time, Winter Storm Warning....My kind of road trip (Ruths too).

I didn't know if I was going to get Friday off work until Tuesday night. So I kind of sorta had stuff ready to go, ok I 'm lying, aside from having full propane tanks and winter bedding in place I hadn't done jack.

I went into hustle mode. Checked the weather: cold but not cold enough to think about draining the water system. It looked like if we made it into Yosemite by Late Thursday night we could beat the storm with its heavy rain and wind turning to snow on Friday.

Hit the market and loaded up on good stuff; chef Eric was going to be cooking all the meals. Hit OSH for a big sheet of Reflectix and a roll of adhesive backed velcro. Loaded in the snow shoes, ice tracks, goretex outerwear, heavy boots, head lamps, first aid kit, space blankets, hooded down jackets theml underear, and day packs

First things first, Insulate that nagging cold spot in the Lance the back door. I cut a sodlid sheet of reflectix to fit it. The only part not covered was the handle and lock. 1โ€ thick closed cell foam covered the door windows and over that went the reflectix held in place by velcro.

Of course since I was supposed to get off work at 5 it ended up as 6 so we got on the road at 7:30 and promptly went into crawl mode with 20,000 commuters going up and over the Altamont pass on I 580.

Around 10:30 PM we dropped down into the Merced River canyon past Midpines and made our way to the one lane bridge detour where we sat for what seemed to be an eternity.

we finally got a green light

around midnight we arrived at the upper pines campground. They had 3 loops =150 campsites open. Only 30 0r so were occupied

the next morning at first light my 3 furballs woke me from my slumber with that dad take us for a walk or we will pee on the floor noise. It was 29*... not bad

There was one or two Class As, a few Class C Cruise America rentals 3 VW Camper Vans a couple of tents and a nice contingent of TC's in the Campground
even a rental TC

So after breakfast and coffee put a smile on our faces we walked over to (thanks to the greedy folks at Delaware North forcing a name change) Half Dome Village (Curry Village) to pay our campground fees. That done it was hike time. Ruth summoned her inner earth goddess voice and said let it storm..

Mother Nature Promptly complied

Rain and lots of it, but hey we had full goretex jacket, pants, hats and boots

Ice and rain

the Merced River

The Majestic Hotel at Yosemite (Ahwahnee) , More Delaware North BS

By the time we got back to the TC the wet had turned to white

Jake the old man of the pack at age 12

Watson age 5

Zack age 1and seeing snow for the first time

It really started to dump

The temps dropped to 24 Friday night. Inside the TC we had the furnace on low and it was still to warm for our taste for sleeping. The foam and reflectix panels on the windows and doors really minimized the heat loss from the camper

Morning was glorious

My first task after breakfast was to clear the snow off the solar panels

Then it was hike time. Down jackets, gaiters, boots with ice spikes ( no falling on the ice this trip)
the Spikes were invaluable as under the snow was hard ice and one the rougher trails it meant the difference in just walking along or taking a bad slip and fall

We would hike 13 miles through 4-6โ€s of snow all over the valley on Saturday. The photos speak for themselves

one of my favorites

and just like that the weather can change in the mountains

Back at the TC paying attention to the guard doggies

our well earned Christmas Eve dinner. Tri Tip, sauteed vegis and rice

Well the weather changed and the temps dropped into the low teens for Chistmas morning but we were absolutely warm in the Lance.

The Merced which had been flowing clear was now ice choked

it was 15 degrees as we started our ten mile hike to mirror lake and back in a big wandering loop

We hiked just over 31 miles in 3 days. Not bad for being 60. When we headed out of the campground in the truck to head home the temperature had warmed up to 21. The 6.7L Ford Diesel fired right up and with 4wd and M+S rated tire there was no need to chain up and we drove right on out. As we passed the Arch Rock entrance station leaving the park they were doing tire and chain inspections. The backup stretched for over a mile. Note to self either arrive late at night or super early in the mornings.

Great trip, with the weather we had most of the valley trails to ourselves. It's the only way to do Yosemite Valley if you want my opinion. Hope you enjoyed the photos.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags
35 REPLIES 35

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
c.traveler2, you are in luck! There is a full moon in mid-Feb., and (if it is clear) you might be able to see the "moonbow" at the base of Yosemite Falls:

Click For Full-Size Image.

The camera can see the colors -- with your eyes, you will see a whitish streak. This shot was with a DSLR camera, at 30 seconds, with an ISO of 1600.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
c.traveler2 wrote:
You took some wonderful photos of your trip, hoping to be there mid February myself. Is any of those waterfall photos of Horse Trail falls?

nope not ribbon. all of those are just different angles of Yosemite Falls
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
You took some wonderful photos of your trip, hoping to be there mid February myself. Is any of those waterfall photos of Horse Trail falls?
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

hl_remington
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the post great

JimPH
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
JimPH wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
JimPH wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
JimPH wrote:
Thanks Buzz for the great pictures. Yosemite is probably my favorite place to hike. I usually go to Tuolumne Meadows every yr and do some hiking.
By the way it was because of your tire blowout experience that caused me to get rid of my SRW truck and get a dually. I also have a 2007 1055 and love it. Best thing I ever did for truck camping was to get a dually

Ditto on the Dually

hey if you have never been there, just outside of the Tioga Pass entrance station on 120 is Saddlebag Lake road. take it to the end and go hike around the North Peak area

A few years ago I actually went to Saddlebag lake, took the ferry to the other side and did some hiking around there. Pretty spectacular. I have been hiking the Sierra Nevada since I was 15 in 1971. I lived in Southern California back then. I live in Salt Lake City now but I still get over there once a year and stay in Tuolumne Meadows. Most hikes these days are extended day hikes using the truck camper as a base camp. Most times solo hiking now days. Cant find anybody my age to go with me.
By the way I see you have a ladder bike rack. I am looking for one presently. What type is yours and are you happy with it?

Take a look at my Grand Teton TR in the NW Section of trip reports for my rack.

It is actually a Thule roof rack adapted to fit the ladder. I cut a 50" crossbar in half, and used a footer kit designed for vehicles with factory roof rails to attach the crossbar to my ladder then used the bike trays I already had and mounted them on the cross bar. I like it because the fork lock models are fairly theft resistant and when I couple them with a padlock and chain to my jack it makes the bikes difficult to steal

Socal, 15 in 71 hmmn we are the same age. I grew up in Santa Monica. My Parents owned the Sorrento Beach Grill. small world

Small world for sure. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley. Spent a lot of time in Santa Monica, especially the pier. I still remember POP. While in high school I probably spent to much time at Santa Monica, North Zuma and County Line. Didnt realize I was supposed to get an education. With no real skills or coledge I spent a lot of years in the LA Sheriffs Dept before moving to Salt Lake City. Its good to see that other people my age like you are still very physically active. I still love hiking, canyoneering and such. Usually have to go with younger guys but with this new electronic age creating a seditary lifestyle there are fewer and fewer people wanting to get out and exert the effort required to see some absolutely increadible places this earth has to offer. This time of year I sure miss the southern calif weather.

Body surfed Drainpipes at Zuma. Went Scuba Diving/ spearfishing off Trancas and the Reef at county line. you probably saw my blue Land Cruser with a warn winch parked there all the time

Cant say I remember any vehicles like that. I had a 1964 Ford van back then two tone brown with the usual custom primer spots that seemed all to common back then before I was able to paint it blue. That was 1972 - 77. By 1974 at age 18 I had earned my 1st black belt and was teaching karate for 5 dollars an hour while everyone else was making 1.65. Bought my self a 1970 Dodge Challenger, 426 Hemi, 4 speed. You might remember that. Most of the time took the van, surf board wouldnt fit in Challenger. I remember you local guys would call us guys from the San Fernando Valley "Valley" Kind of a durrogatory slang. All in good fun. Thanks for the picture. Where was that?

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
120 is fine as long as conditions are good. It was R1 when we went up and R2 on the way out. All you needed for 140 was M+S rated tires.

piersons
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, For anyone coming from the Bay Area, 120 entrance to the park makes more sense to me to Take 132 to Coulterville Ca. then up the hill to Greeley Hill then continue on to 120 via Smith Station Road. This will avoid 120 through Groveland and is a easier drive and avoid detour bridge on 140. If you need gas or groceries in Greeley Hill their is a Grocery Store, Shell Gas Station with Diesel 24 hours. Store is open in winter from 8AM to 6PM and summer from 8AM to 7PM, it also has a Deli and hot foods, across the street is a True Value Hardware Store.
Great Trip report, Nice Looking Aussie"s , I have Two myself.
Were the dogs allowed on the Trails?

Piersons

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
for the SoCal guys who were around in the 60s-70s

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
JimPH wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
JimPH wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
JimPH wrote:
Thanks Buzz for the great pictures. Yosemite is probably my favorite place to hike. I usually go to Tuolumne Meadows every yr and do some hiking.
By the way it was because of your tire blowout experience that caused me to get rid of my SRW truck and get a dually. I also have a 2007 1055 and love it. Best thing I ever did for truck camping was to get a dually

Ditto on the Dually

hey if you have never been there, just outside of the Tioga Pass entrance station on 120 is Saddlebag Lake road. take it to the end and go hike around the North Peak area

A few years ago I actually went to Saddlebag lake, took the ferry to the other side and did some hiking around there. Pretty spectacular. I have been hiking the Sierra Nevada since I was 15 in 1971. I lived in Southern California back then. I live in Salt Lake City now but I still get over there once a year and stay in Tuolumne Meadows. Most hikes these days are extended day hikes using the truck camper as a base camp. Most times solo hiking now days. Cant find anybody my age to go with me.
By the way I see you have a ladder bike rack. I am looking for one presently. What type is yours and are you happy with it?

It is actually a Thule roof rack adapted to fit the ladder. I cut a 50" crossbar in half, and used a footer kit designed for vehicles with factory roof rails to attach the crossbar to my ladder then used the bike trays I already had and mounted them on the cross bar. I like it because the fork lock models are fairly theft resistant and when I couple them with a padlock and chain to my jack it makes the bikes difficult to steal

Socal, 15 in 71 hmmn we are the same age. I grew up in Santa Monica. My Parents owned the Sorrento Beach Grill. small world

Small world for sure. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley. Spent a lot of time in Santa Monica, especially the pier. I still remember POP. While in high school I probably spent to much time at Santa Monica, North Zuma and County Line. Didnt realize I was supposed to get an education. With no real skills or coledge I spent a lot of years in the LA Sheriffs Dept before moving to Salt Lake City. Its good to see that other people my age like you are still very physically active. I still love hiking, canyoneering and such. Usually have to go with younger guys but with this new electronic age creating a seditary lifestyle there are fewer and fewer people wanting to get out and exert the effort required to see some absolutely increadible places this earth has to offer. This time of year I sure miss the southern calif weather.

Body surfed Drainpipes at Zuma. Went Scuba Diving/ spearfishing off Trancas and the Reef at county line. you probably saw my blue Land Cruser with a warn winch parked there all the time

JimPH
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
JimPH wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
JimPH wrote:

Ditto on the Dually

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
JimPH wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
JimPH wrote:

Ditto on the Dually

JimPH
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
JimPH wrote:

Ditto on the Dually

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome! I gotta move to the West. Parks here in N.E. aren't open for camping, just day use. Thanks for the trip. Great pics.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
dakonthemountain wrote:
Great photos Eric! I was there also with family from the 22nd to the morning of the 25th. We were at the lodge though and attended the Bracebridge at the Majestic on Christmas Eve. The snows and views were magical! Glad you were there to camp... Winter at Yosemite in my camper is also on my buck list. In the meantime we go almost every year for Christmas time..

Thanks for sharing!
Cheers and Happy New Year!
Dak

Dang there at the same time yet we missed each other