cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trail Manor vs. Fiberglass TT

Zebedee
Explorer
Explorer
I've been digging into some fiberglass trailer research recently. I also really like the Trail Manors with their low profile and expandability.

I'm trying to make a list of positives/negatives of the two. So far, it seems to me that:

-Egg-style fiberglass trailers keep in the heat/cool better
-Being fiberglass moulds, they are less likely to leak, and may require less maintenance.
-You don't have to pop them up, which is nice during poor weather conditions.
-Trail Manors may allow for better MPG due to their low height
-They are a pop-up but with hard sides

What would be some other observations regarding these two TT types?
17 REPLIES 17

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
LenSatic, pay attention to my post: "most eggs I have seen". I look at them at RV shows, so I am commenting from experience, not speculation. That is why I qualified my statement. I also didn't say "all eggs I have seen".

I know, but it was misleading and I clarified it. I'm an Egg owner and, over the years, I've only seen one 13 footer, a Burro, that fit your description (and the owner had 2 German Shepherds). Far more of the larger ones do not. Casita does sell 17' trailers that have queen, king, and twin bed floor plans that are as you described. But, they sell very few and I've not seen one on the road. RV shows are RV shows, not RV camping. And, I've never been to an RV show. ๐Ÿ˜‰

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
LenSatic, pay attention to my post: "most eggs I have seen". I look at them at RV shows, so I am commenting from experience, not speculation. That is why I qualified my statement. I also didn't say "all eggs I have seen".
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is easy to say that the cost will be forgotten once it is paid for, but next to the floor plan, cost can be a deal killer.

We spent over two years debating the type of TT we thought would meet our needs. We even rented a TT similar to the size we thought we wanted. I our case a standard TT won out over the TM and any of the egg units. We found a three year old Dutchmen for about half the price. You can buy a lot of gas and storage for the difference.

But, if you find the TM or eggs are the best fit for your needs, they do maintain their value.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
With the TM, you can leave the bed intact while using the rest of the trailer. Most eggs I have seen have the bed/dinette, so you can't have one occupant go to bed while the other stays up reading or working at the table.

Not true. In our Casita we have two dinettes, a 4 person rear and a 2 person side. Since it is just my wife and I, we leave the rear converted into the bed full time.

I'm only posting to correct misinformation on the TT I know and not comment on ones that I don't.

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two TrailManors. Both 2417 models, one a "Sport" (narrower) with two beds, the current model a "Standard" width with one bed, the other bed replaced with the dinette slide.

No all TrailManors have queen beds where you crawl over the near occupant to get to the back. Ours, and two of the larger models have king beds, allowing access by either occupant without climbing over the other.

The dinette can convert to a bed for one adult or two kids. With our configuration (2417KD), I have four adults sleeping during hunting weekends. There is room for a cot on our floor, so we have two in the king bed, one on the dinette, and one on a cot. Try to comfortably sleep four adults comfortably in an egg. You may not plan on it, but if you camp with a couple in a tent, and it gets really nasty outside, they may need to come into your hard-sided camper.

With the TM, you can leave the bed intact while using the rest of the trailer. Most eggs I have seen have the bed/dinette, so you can't have one occupant go to bed while the other stays up reading or working at the table.

The TM refrigerator is 6 cu ft in most models, and we did a week of camping with all of our food in it. Beverages were in a cooler.

I bet the TM has much more storage than any of the eggs, especially the dinette TM models.

Each type of trailer has its benefits and challenges. For us, the TM works great, and an egg would not make the cut. You need to look at both before you decide. Don't just look at floor plans. There are many sizes of TM, so you get different functionality depending on size. The TM cabinets are no different than most TT cabinets. We have had no problems with ours.

Yes, you must put things away when you close a TM, but if you are going to pull your egg, you have to secure items, also. There is much more room in a TM than in an egg, no matter the model. The TM extends 7' beyond the tow size of the trailer box. An egg is always the same length. I don't need to get into my TM to use the bathroom while traveling, as there are plenty of places to stop on almost any highway. I have also opened my TM during a trip, and it is not a big deal. I stay connected, pop some latches, and open. Takes 2 minutes. The people claiming it is a hardship have not camped in a TM, and seen how simple it is to open.

Get what fits your needs. I love our TM, and would never consider an egg. Others love their eggs, and dislike a TM. To each their own. It will be you camping in what you choose, not me. Get what you will be happy with. Cost is forgotten when it is paid-off, and the enjoyment you get is worth the cost. Use a trailer for 10 years, and cost is not a factor.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
I've looked at all these types of trailers. The best "egg" trailer we've looked at is the RPod. They come in a variety of sizes and some have slide outs. For a light weight trailer they seem to be well made and well thought out.

That's not an "egg". Eggs are molded fiberglass like Casita, Scamp, Escape, Burro, etc.

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I've looked at all these types of trailers. The best "egg" trailer we've looked at is the RPod. They come in a variety of sizes and some have slide outs. For a light weight trailer they seem to be well made and well thought out.

Prior to our first hybrid (the second is the one in my signature) we looked at Trail Manor. Well made, expensive, and lots of limitations due to their collapsible nature.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
How can you say that a solid fiberglass shell is as prone to leaks as a flat roof with joints and seams all over the place? Not only that, but if there is a leak, the eggshell design typically just needs to be resealed, where as that other design may well require extensive and expensive repairs.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The bottom line is that anything that has an axle under it will require SOME maintenance or possible repair. Nearly all RV roofs have a through hole or three for circulation vents, plumbing stacks, air conditioners, etc. The sealant on these needs to be observed and sometimes, refreshed. The running gear has a maintenance schedule too, bearings,brakes, tires, etc. Heating and cooling efficiency is primarily influenced by the amount of insulation installed, which type, and the condition of the appliances. The trailmanor has more moving hardware than a fiberglass trailer (lift mechanisms). They both have windows and doors, things that may also need attention.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Zebedee
Explorer
Explorer
So what I gather from some responses here is that the Trailmanor is no more subject to leaks than fiberglass, keeps insulated well, feels roomier, and also hold their resell value well.

The egg-style may feel a bit more cramped, but can also be towed by a smaller vehicle, and may be more durable.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Zebedee wrote:
I've been digging into some fiberglass trailer research recently. I also really like the Trail Manors with their low profile and expandability.

I'm trying to make a list of positives/negatives of the two. So far, it seems to me that:

-Egg-style fiberglass trailers keep in the heat/cool better
-Being fiberglass moulds, they are less likely to leak, and may require less maintenance.
-You don't have to pop them up, which is nice during poor weather conditions.
-Trail Manors may allow for better MPG due to their low height
-They are a pop-up but with hard sides

What would be some other observations regarding these two TT types?

We looked at the "egg style" to cramped and just as subject to leaks.
Since the trailmanor uses an adjustable torsion bar system to raise the shells they are easy; unlike the pup we had during setup/break down in rainy weather we haven't had a problem with the TM getting wet.

TM's hold their resell value very well. Took us 6 years to make the decision but we have been very pleased with it over the last 5 years.

Our avg mpg goes from 14 (empty TV) to 13 with two weeks of supplies, and either a jon boat or canoe on top of the TV.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Trail Manor and fiberglass "egg" trailers are very specialized products that have limitations, as all RVs do. With the Trail Manor, you get a larger, more traditional trailer-like interior but with limitations due to the design. I wouldn't be happy with the smaller refrigerator and less overall storage, but that is due to the type of traveling/camping that we do which includes multiple week trips. The design of the Trail Manor can make it more efficient to tow i.e. higher gas mileage and smaller tow vehicle. The same can be said for the fiberglass eggs. I've looked at the "eggs" online, and feel that they are a viable option if you really want to have a smaller trailer. Right now, I'd rather keep our 26' Winnebago, but if the time comes when I want a smaller unit that can be towed by a smaller truck or tow vehicle, the fiberglass eggs are really nice and should be very durable but that comes at a price. I don't think the DW and I would be happy traveling in one for multiple week trips, but for shorter trips, we could adjust.

It all boils down to what meets your needs. When we had kids, we had a pop-up trailer and really enjoyed it. When the kids were in college, we had a 29' trailer with 1 ton truck. A couple of years ago, we downsized to the Minnie and it works well for us. We're in our sixties...so who knows what the next rig will be!!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe it is an apples to oranges comparison. They both have unique features and staunch supporters.

As mentioned you have to decide what you want when you travel and camp.

The DW and I wanted,
+ A TT we could stop and access without having to set up. Handy for lunch and potty breaks while towing.
+ A bed we can exit without crawling over your partner.
+ A full bath.
+ A pantry, closet and storage.
+ Enough room for two adults and a dog when it rains.
+ A price we could afford.

Obviously your requirements will be different but it helps to write them down and compare them with the DW.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak for the egg style but we purchased a used Trailmanor this past summer and have been very happy. The only cabinets that would be considered flimsy would be the one around the bath room as they are the only ones that fold up. As far as holding heat or cold we camp in 100 degree temps with high humidity this past summer and the a/c on low cool kept us very comfortable. The pull great behind my Tacoma and are actually lower in height that my truck with the camper shell.

I only have an 84" garage door opening so we had to go with a folding type or pop up style. And we didn't want to deal with canvas and ran across the Trailmanors which is hard sided.

As far as setting one up it takes less than 5 minutes to pop it up and get the inside set up.