cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trailer and tow vehicle too long

schoonod
Explorer
Explorer
I saw last night some u-tube shows talking about some states having maximum tow lengths for the combined length of a toy-hauler trailer plus the tow vehicle, for example Oregon at 65 feet. If your unit exceeds this maximum you need to purchase a special permit or risk being fined. Has anyone heard of this being an issue for non-commercial vehicles?
15 REPLIES 15

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
schoonod wrote:
Has anyone heard of this being an issue for non-commercial vehicles?
It's obviously an issue: "An RV combination may be no longer than 65 feet...A vehicle may tow only one vehicle or trailer in Oregon...Permits are not allowed in Oregon for towing more than one trailer or vehicle except for commercially titled and registered vehicles." - oregon.gov.

That's perfectly clear. How long you can get away with violating the law is completely different. If you're over 65', you take your chances.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
schoonod wrote:
I saw last night some u-tube shows talking about some states having maximum tow lengths for the combined length of a toy-hauler trailer plus the tow vehicle, for example Oregon at 65 feet. If your unit exceeds this maximum you need to purchase a special permit or risk being fined. Has anyone heard of this being an issue for non-commercial vehicles?

OP, check this out:
http://onlinetowingguide.com/towing_laws.html
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Just watch out in Nebraska, they have cameras by the weigh houses, and I saw an F250 pulling a 5th get flagged in. Whether they flagged it for weight, or length is unknown, but flagged in it was. Heard they are real P****s there in Nebraska.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of those things that only comes up if you are involved in a crash.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Wisconsin is 65ft total length max, including 3-way towing.

This is just like being over your TV's weight spec. You'll likely never have an issue, but lightening does strike people every year, while some others win the lottery.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
with bikes on the back of my trailer I'm a combined length of 65ft. I've been through places with a 55 ft length limit and on oregon roads that are specified as 55ft and never had an issue.

after 6 years of traveling and 30K or more miles it's a non issue to me.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
That length is usualy for double tow, not single.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
I am right at 72' with my fifth wheel and 14' SxS trailer behind, traveled tens of thousands of miles this way with Zero problems.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

schoonod
Explorer
Explorer
also -- in Idaho you can tow 2 items behind your vehicle. Get a 20ft tow vehicle plus a 36ft toy hauler with a 16 ft boat. Wow! not for me, but you would be over 65 ft

schoonod
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at 54 feet combined length. My neighbor is looking at some brand of 40 plus feet toy hauler (he goes riding in the desert so tow length is not a concern for him as far as finding a parking spot). The guy on the utube pgm hauled his toy hauler with a vehicle that looked like a small semi tractor. I've seen pictures of 5th wheel rigs pulled by this type of tow vehicle, so I was thinking there may be some full-timers who may unknowingly be in a over 65 foot situation and not realize total length could be a problem.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
What length toy hauler are you planning on? A 45 ft toy hauler and a CC long bed would be 68 ft total but hooked up would be about 62ft.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure nobody on Oregon has ever been fined for being over length. For one, they would have to be first pulled over for another violation, and 2nd troopers have more important things to worry about.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm at 55ft. I think the max length in the US is 65ft. Anything more and you need permits. I think if you are 67 or so they won't bother you.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
65' is awful long for camping. I would think they would need a permit.