cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer axle bending.. Ideas

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace my axle due to the axle was bent and tires wearing. I notice that the axle had impacted the chassis frame rail where it hit. I suppose from bottoming on the frame either due to a bump or a blow-out. I put a rubber bump stop on top of the new axle to help soften the bump on impacting the frame rail. Not sure if this is a good idea as the travel is shortened albeit a softer contact. I would like to know if there is an add on leaf available to stiffen the load hence avoiding contact to the rail and lengthen the travel so to speak . Any ideas appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:
Hi,

I have been through axles, hangers and axle alignment and may be able to help.

Something is not right if your axle bent. I looked up some of your older posts and in them you mentioned you ended up with negative camber. The usually way of getting negative camber is from an axle overload condition. And that can be by too much static weight which during a dynamic bump in the road, creates an overload and bends the axle permanently. Or it can be from loading the axle to the rating but hitting a very large bump and that dynamic event created the over load.

You mentioned the words light weight trailer. So I looked up what a Coachmen clipper is. What year and model do you have?
Coachmen web site

Reason I'm asking all this is, some manufactures put on running gear, axles, springs and tires to hold the entire GVWR of the camper. This gives some level of safety factor to the loading of the camper at the axles as we all know the truck is holding some of the weight.

And some, manufactures size the GWVR so that the truck is holding part of the weight on the tongue and they size the axle to be less then the GVWR. In this situation they can down size the axle, they create an axle rating and the user has to manage to the number to not overload the axle even though he may be under the GVWR of the trailer. This might be what you have run into. Have you ever weighed the camper by the axles? and weighed it when you are using a WD hitch? That is a question too, are you using a WD hitch?

While you may be under on the camper GVWR, you may be over on the axle and then any fairly large bump can create a problem.

First I would make sure I understood how the first failure happened and confirm the weights of the camper axle and the tongue weight.

Putting a larger axle in may help the axle but there are other issues. What about the springs and the tires? They need to be sized correct too. The next the TT frame. These light weight campers have very thin frames. Your frame may not be able to handle the next size up axle, springs and tires.

You mentioned a bumper stop so the axle would not hit the frame. That is a concern. While you have softened the hit which can be a good thing, you have decreased the travel of the suspension and that is a bad thing. When the suspension bottoms out the axle can get into over load real fast. If you look at the axle ratings, when they have springs attached, the load ratings are almost 2 times higher then when no springs are used. A bottomed out axle looses load rating when there is no more suspension left.

I would start with getting actual scaled weights and see where the issue is. You might not like the answer that the camper cannot handle the weight. But putting heavier axles in and bending a camper frame is not a good thing either.

Hope this helps

John

Yes, you are 100% correct in your assessment. Its a 2013 coachman clipper 17 FQ.. Never weighed it, but never loaded it except with light essentials..travel dry as well. I agree the bump stop is not good alternative as it does decrease its free travel. I ordered some heavier leafs and hope the stiffer spring will help.When I was an engineer we designed stuff to be 2.5 times its operating capacity as a safety factor. Don't see that in the RV industry I guess. ??

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Smacking the axle into the frame is about the worst thing that can happen. If it is doing that, then it will happen repeatadly.

Sooo. upgrading axles/springs WILL be better than leaving it as is. Every time the axle hits the frame, it is like taking a swing at it with a sledge hammer.
So if your frame is a lightweight frame, something must be done,

Did you know that axles can be custom built for your TT? Take the info off of the axle plate (a picture of it will do) and show it to a axle supplier. They can get you upgraded axles that will bolt right up... And it is not much more $$$ than buying an in stock axle.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I have been through axles, hangers and axle alignment and may be able to help.

Something is not right if your axle bent. I looked up some of your older posts and in them you mentioned you ended up with negative camber. The usually way of getting negative camber is from an axle overload condition. And that can be by too much static weight which during a dynamic bump in the road, creates an overload and bends the axle permanently. Or it can be from loading the axle to the rating but hitting a very large bump and that dynamic event created the over load.

You mentioned the words light weight trailer. So I looked up what a Coachmen clipper is. What year and model do you have?
Coachmen web site

Reason I'm asking all this is, some manufactures put on running gear, axles, springs and tires to hold the entire GVWR of the camper. This gives some level of safety factor to the loading of the camper at the axles as we all know the truck is holding some of the weight.

And some, manufactures size the GWVR so that the truck is holding part of the weight on the tongue and they size the axle to be less then the GVWR. In this situation they can down size the axle, they create an axle rating and the user has to manage to the number to not overload the axle even though he may be under the GVWR of the trailer. This might be what you have run into. Have you ever weighed the camper by the axles? and weighed it when you are using a WD hitch? That is a question too, are you using a WD hitch?

While you may be under on the camper GVWR, you may be over on the axle and then any fairly large bump can create a problem.

First I would make sure I understood how the first failure happened and confirm the weights of the camper axle and the tongue weight.

Putting a larger axle in may help the axle but there are other issues. What about the springs and the tires? They need to be sized correct too. The next the TT frame. These light weight campers have very thin frames. Your frame may not be able to handle the next size up axle, springs and tires.

You mentioned a bumper stop so the axle would not hit the frame. That is a concern. While you have softened the hit which can be a good thing, you have decreased the travel of the suspension and that is a bad thing. When the suspension bottoms out the axle can get into over load real fast. If you look at the axle ratings, when they have springs attached, the load ratings are almost 2 times higher then when no springs are used. A bottomed out axle looses load rating when there is no more suspension left.

I would start with getting actual scaled weights and see where the issue is. You might not like the answer that the camper cannot handle the weight. But putting heavier axles in and bending a camper frame is not a good thing either.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
Its a coachman clipper. Supposedly light weight . I have no idea why these builders spec the axles out to maximum dry empty weight.They did not allow much of a safety factor. I never overload my trailer and run dry. It came with a 3500 lb axle.. I replaced it with same because I could not find any bigger with the dimensions existing.I compared the two side by side and whoa.. what a difference in camber.I suspect I bent the axle when I had a blow-out and the trailer dropped on the rim.I am thinking a stiffer spring or I may design an air bag configuration/modification.Appreciate thoughts/ideas

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My springs were sagging on my 3500 axles. Replaced with 2200 rating and all has been great.
Improved ride and ride height.

+1 for going 4400 or 5200 if spending money on axles.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Look up Dexter Axles lots of info.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
TT make, model, year and some photos would help. Springs do flatten sometimes and need replacing.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
harley4275 wrote:
Sounds like the basic trailer failure...manufacturers putting on minimal suspension equipment. Mine came with 3500 # axles with matching 1750 x 2 springs per axle. After my tires were rubbing on the bottom of the trailer and bending an axle (not overweight either.) They replaced with 4400# axles with 2200# x 2 springs. Now springs have a nice arch to them and tows like it should have been right from the start.
Get next size axles with matching springs and you will not bottom anything out again.

X2, this is the permanent fix.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the basic trailer failure...manufacturers putting on minimal suspension equipment. Mine came with 3500 # axles with matching 1750 x 2 springs per axle. After my tires were rubbing on the bottom of the trailer and bending an axle (not overweight either.) They replaced with 4400# axles with 2200# x 2 springs. Now springs have a nice arch to them and tows like it should have been right from the start.
Get next size axles with matching springs and you will not bottom anything out again.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Spring failure? Do the axle springs have an arch to them? Or have they flattened to a point there is little to no arch?
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Have you weighed it? Could be overloaded.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch