cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind noise only with TC installed.

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I never really noticed much wind noise with my 2006 Dodge Ram until I brought our new to us Lance home. It was a day with a petty good cross wind, but I have also noticed it somewhat on some short test drives on days with lesser winds. Anyway, I know I may be able to adjust the doors to help this, but I was wondering if anyone has found any sort of rain or wind guard that would help with this.

Thanks!
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs
12 REPLIES 12

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Same problem on 2004.5 Dodge 3500
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

Crazy_Creek
Explorer
Explorer
Push your re-circulation air button to off to allow fresh air in.

That will stop the whistling when using your A/C.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had the same issue with my 2004 Dodge. Found if I ran the system in recirculate mode, it reduced the pressure in the cabin just enough to eliminate most of the wind noise.

Other option was to pull in at the top of the door just slightly.

You could eliminate it by adjust the door in at the top hinge point ever so slightly, but didn't like changing the setting any because the factory setting not only has the bolts holding it in place but also the paint.

I ended up just dealing with it on non-windy days and on the occasions it got to bad, just switched to recirculate mode.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the bad winds too with the TC on. There is (was) a recall on the door seals for 3G body style. The originals had a wear point when the door hinged and the new ones had a "toughened up" spot where it contacted. I notice the wind noise to be worse after the campaign fix.

The upper door does flex causing the wind noise. But it does not take much to get it to stop- if I hold my left hand and grip the upper door and squeeze to the body, it stops with very little effort. Back in the old days of working on cars at a dealer ship, we would lower the door glass into the down position and manually adjust the door frame in by applying pressure to it. I am hesitant to do this on these newer (yes, I consider 2005 a new truck) because the frame may move too much and I do not want to "over distorts" it.

I have not tried adjusting the hinges (which it the correct way to do it over manual physical force.)
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Here's a link to a possible solution Wind noise
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Bedlam
I did not get it with either truck, but I do have the in-channel window visors on both trucks. Usually the noise is from wind intrusion front to rear that does not happen without the camper. There are number of old threads on this and it seemed to happen more on suicide extended cab doors than on crew style setups.

I'm surprised yours is noisy with that mega cab. Check your top door seals and try the rope trick.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Bedlam wrote:
1. Your door latch needs to be adjusted
2. Your upper door frame needs to be slightly bent inwards
3. Your door seals need to be replaced or stuff nylon cord into them to increase material thickness

You get swirling wind due to the cab over. Any weakness in door sealing will be revealed with the camper loaded and traveling at higher speeds.

Not necessarily, and maybe it's only a dodge thing. You didn't get a lot of extra wind noise with your AF on your F250? Or new truck?
It's definitely the camper causing it. It makes such a vacuum that if I roll the windows down at 70mph or over, or if there's a head wind, it tries to suck the windows out of the frames! Have to slow down to get the windows back up.
I do have a low profile bug guard. Wonder if that contributes. Will take it off next time and see.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
1. Your door latch needs to be adjusted
2. Your upper door frame needs to be slightly bent inwards
3. Your door seals need to be replaced or stuff nylon cord into them to increase material thickness

You get swirling wind due to the cab over. Any weakness in door sealing will be revealed with the camper loaded and traveling at higher speeds.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
My truck was bad about that also. I discovered that removing the Lund bug deflector helped quite a bit.

I also made an airfoil per Sleepy's design (used white plastic gutter from Lowes) and attached it to the camper. This helped also but still can get some wind noise under certain conditions. Closing the outside vent helps also.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

TJMarc
Explorer
Explorer
That was one of the things that bugged me about my old truck (2007 Dodge Ram) was the door air leakage when loaded with the camper. On a constant crosswind the amount of leakage would even change when hitting bumps or driving over rollers (likely due to frame flex). I actually took it in and had my doors adjusted and it took a bulk of it away but it would still leak during very strong cross winds or when I would go over bumps or over rollers during constant cross winds.

I believe they drifted my hinges (I could see the marks) and may have adjusted the strike.
2017 Ram 3500 DRW/6.7 CTD/AISIN/3.73
2013 AF 811
2004 Jeep TJ (slightly modded)
18' PJ Buggy Hauler

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
My 2006 ram also had wind noise with wolf creek loaded, but no noise empty.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
pirlbeck wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has found any sort of rain or wind guard that would help with this.
I'll follow this with interest.

My MDT has wind noise too.. darn hard to locate. Sometimes it's quiet, depending on which way the wind is blowing.

I've considered those plastic deflector things that fit around the front of the window. But I really don't know if it's there or the door frame.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman