Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer brake controller/New trailer

Canuck_in_NJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We just purchased a 2018 single axle travel trailer. We have a Tekonsha P3 brake controller in our suv.

When we drove the trailer home I did some testing of the brakes prior to leaving the dealer lot. With my last truck and 5th wheel (different brake controller) I remember adjusting the dial and being able to lock the trailer brakes up right away, From there I would adjust accordingly.

When I did that with the new setup, I was never able to lock the trailer brakes up. even when pressing the arrow up button (to get more gain) With the manual over ride slider, while engaging it at about 5 mph I could feel it bring the vehicle to a stop but again there was definitely no lock up.

The drive home, I sometimes questioned if the trailer brakes were doing anything.

When we backed it into the driveway, the wife said she could really hear the trailer brakes.

I went out today and messed around a bit. I had the wife press the brakes peddle in the suv and I listened at the each trailer tire. it took about 6 seconds for me to hear anything at the wheels after she pressed the brakes. The sound I did hear was buzzing/humming

In the trouble-shooting menu of the brake controller, I scrolled to voltage output and after pressing the brake pedal, it takes about 6 seconds for anything to register on the controller. After about 6 seconds it climbs to about 13 something.

Anyone have any ideas?
2012 Dodge Ram 3500
2018 Jayco Octane 260
7 REPLIES 7

Canuck_in_NJ
Explorer
Explorer
they are set to electric.

I think next weekend, I will hook up and drag the trailer to a near by parking lot. I Will bring a jack and a flat blade screw driver and adjust the brakes and test it out.

Thanks for the help. I will post my results
2012 Dodge Ram 3500
2018 Jayco Octane 260

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Also is the setting set for electric brakes? There is an option electric over hydrolic and you dont want that...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Its a new camper. It will take a few miles for the pads to set... Not sure how it shipped to the dealer. Sometimes they come on flat beds. ( Smaller units)..

You set the brakes with the gain or the lever. I have the p2... I set mine about 9.

Hitting the brakes will not net you that same 9. It works on inertia.

I usually run @ boost 1, but often use B2, when runing down grades and such.

Id rather burn the trailer brakes then my trucks brakes.
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The first thing I would do is adjust the brakes.

Canuck_in_NJ
Explorer
Explorer
Would the delay for the voltage output to climb be normal then?

voltage at the controller shows 12.6 or something close to that,

at the 7 pin the voltage shows what the brake controller is putting out when sliding the manual switch so voltage out looks good.

Maybe I just need to adjust the brakes
2012 Dodge Ram 3500
2018 Jayco Octane 260

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
Just because its a 2018 TT doesn't mean the brake shoes were adjusted properly from the factory. It appears you are getting voltage to the brakes but since they don't lock up you may need to adjust the shoes a little tighter.
I have no answer about the time delay of the controller. Have you checked the voltage going to the TT brakes?

Canuck_in_NJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm maybe I need to go back out and not press the brake pedal but have the wife slide the manual override switch. Doesn't this need movement to work?
2012 Dodge Ram 3500
2018 Jayco Octane 260