cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer buying - need good resale value

ShaunaH
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, I'm on the market for used bumper-pulled travel trailer. I will be full-timing for a year or 2 and then reselling (not trading in/up). Aside from the obvious (quality/no leaks/etc.) I was wondering if there are any particular brands, models, or features that will help with a resale (both dollar and time-wise). Or any to totally avoid?

I had a newbie RV salesman mention he couldn't seem to GIVE away a motorhome without slides, any opinion on whether that might apply to trailers? Any other features that might help or hinder?
38 REPLIES 38

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Best bet is to buy one of my trade ins. Right after I replaced the tires and brakes. Installed a new battery and upgraded the converter. Replaced the fresh water tank and water pump. Get it right after I put in a new water heater, furnace, and refrigerator. I hope the guys down at the shop did a good job patching the roof and straightening the tongue.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
70s or 80s Airstream- appreciating rather than depreciating.

Silver Streak and Avion also.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
The simple answer is to use the depreciation curve to your advantage. Depreciation on most vehicles flatten out after 5 to seven years. It may be a bit longer for diesel pushers, but not by much. If you buy a seven year old Travel Trailer at fair market value, you should be able to recoup most of your investment two years later. If you want to do even better, shop hard, and buy a 7 year old TT that needs some TLC that has a current owner needing to sell. When that rig is 9 years old, condition is much more important than the year. With a vacuum cleaner, some screws, a little wax and a whole lot of elbow grease you might even make a few coins on the right rig.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Using the NADA price guide for various 22-24 foot travel trailers showed the following retained value for 2012 models against list price. I used low retail since that is what a private sale will be close to

Artic Fox 22H 45 percent
Jayco 22FB 33 percent
Flagstaff 23FB 47 percent
Lance 2185 47 percent

Not conclusive, since some models can be purchased at much less than list price, but shows that they are all worth less than half what they listed for four years ago.

ShaunaH
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
Buy a Lance TT, they have a very high resale value!

Well, I actually found two Lance's nearby, and both are too heavy. Does light weight always mean crappy quality? I hate to buy a new TV but it might be worth it.

Shauna

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Buy one 5 years old and sell it for what you paid 2 years later if you are concerned with resale value.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Resale, you have to have a desired unit, that's clean. Then you have to compete with all the other used clean rv's out there in your age group and there are many. Its luck, all your ducks have to line up at the time. There always seemed to be someone with a 'medical hardship' where the spouse or family was walking away from an RV , just to get rid of it and have less thing to think about.
Retirement states like AZ, Florida , Texas seemed to have more good private sale deals because of this but also was competition when selling.

Im PM'ing you more detailed info , how to inspect an rv and a seal-tech link to inspect a used unit to try to give you that resale edge you are looking for. Use the info as you see fit.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:

x2

and adding Alto Condo Safari to the list.
I wish Lance was easier to get on my coast but you should be fine in AZ.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:

X1! Try to buy a used Lance TT and you find it is almost impossible!

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

ShaunaH
Explorer
Explorer
Those arctic foxes do seem to hold pretty good value, only problem is I've got a half-ton TV and only the new 2017's are light enough.

ShaunaH
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't purchase any TT if the resale value was a big concern no matter what the time line was. (rapid depreciation and unknown status of the economy and RV market in the future being the main reason)

Sure you can get more money for a higher end TT when you sell it, but you are also paying more for it when you purchase it. It's all relative.

Yes, I know I'm going to take a big hit. I am concerned about going into a recession right when we are ready to sell...wish I was buying in a recession, but circumstances dictate that I do this soon.

ShaunaH
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Arctic Fox is a good suggestion. But any RV you buy is likely to depreciate a ton.

I'd look for something that is 2-4 years old, in good condition, from a private party seller that needs to sell. Or a dealer that is going out of business, or has something that has been sitting on the lot for too long. If looking at dealers, I would try to find one in a more rural area with lower overhead. Our 1st 5er I bought from a small dealer in Casper, WY. We bought it for several thousand less than we could have bought it for in Denver. Actually used it for two years, and sold it for what I bought it for.

You rarely "make money" on an RV purchase. But, as the saying goes, you make the money when you buy, not when you sell.

Thanks, those are great tips! I certainly expect depreciation, just hoping to minimize it if possible. I'm used to buying cars and then running them til the wheels fall off, so buying with intent to sell in a year or two is new to me.

Any good way to tell if something has been sitting on the dealers' lot forever?

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Arctic Fox is a good suggestion. But any RV you buy is likely to depreciate a ton.

I'd look for something that is 2-4 years old, in good condition, from a private party seller that needs to sell. Or a dealer that is going out of business, or has something that has been sitting on the lot for too long. If looking at dealers, I would try to find one in a more rural area with lower overhead. Our 1st 5er I bought from a small dealer in Casper, WY. We bought it for several thousand less than we could have bought it for in Denver. Actually used it for two years, and sold it for what I bought it for.

You rarely "make money" on an RV purchase. But, as the saying goes, you make the money when you buy, not when you sell.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010