cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer electric brake removal

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
has anyone ever removed the entire electric brake system from a travel trailer and what does it entail.
Do I need to remove the wheel hubs to do it ?
Do I have to cap off any of the wires from the tow vehicle so they won't be hot when the trailer is connected to the tow vehicle?

I want to get rid of the whole system on a tiny trailer

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
23 REPLIES 23

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
You can just leave the operating parts of the brakes in place and remove/cut the connection to the brake system wiring.

Why would one cut any wires? Just disconnect the brake controller. :R

That said, why bother? Brakes on any trailer are there for a good reason. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

westend
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
westend wrote:
You can just leave the operating parts of the brakes in place and remove/cut the connection to the brake system wiring. If you cut the wire close to the trailer umbilical connection, you can cover the end of the cut wire with a wire nut and tape. You could also remove the connecting wire from the termination in the trailer umbilical connector.

To remove the brake operating parts, you will need to remove wheel and the hub. The outer bearing will typically come off with the hub. Next, remove the drum. The typical brake assembly is fastened onto a backing plate that attaches to the axle with four bolts. Cut the connecting wire and remove the four bolts. The whole brake assembly and backing plate will then come off the axle. To reassemble, you may wish to remove the operating parts of the brake assembly and attach the backing plate onto the axle (keeps drum clean for future brake installation). Reattach the drum and hub, making sure the bearings are seated correctly.

As usual, Westend, you answered the question that was asked rather provide a personal opinion.

Yeah, usually, if you ask me what time it is, I'd like to tell you how to take apart your watch. In this case, he asked how to take apart the "watch", first. :B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
You can just leave the operating parts of the brakes in place and remove/cut the connection to the brake system wiring. If you cut the wire close to the trailer umbilical connection, you can cover the end of the cut wire with a wire nut and tape. You could also remove the connecting wire from the termination in the trailer umbilical connector.

To remove the brake operating parts, you will need to remove wheel and the hub. The outer bearing will typically come off with the hub. Next, remove the drum. The typical brake assembly is fastened onto a backing plate that attaches to the axle with four bolts. Cut the connecting wire and remove the four bolts. The whole brake assembly and backing plate will then come off the axle. To reassemble, you may wish to remove the operating parts of the brake assembly and attach the backing plate onto the axle (keeps drum clean for future brake installation). Reattach the drum and hub, making sure the bearings are seated correctly.

As usual, Westend, you answered the question that was asked rather provide a personal opinion.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please don't, if the trailer is large enough that the manufacturer bothered to equip it with brakes then it needs brakes, manufacturers aren't into unnecessary expenses, those of us who have to share the road with you thank you for keeping us and yourself safe.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

westend
Explorer
Explorer

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just abandon in place. Why cut and remove wire? Are you removing the entire braking system such as drums and shoes??

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't get this whole question? Don't want brakes for some reason? Just take the wire off of the plug and tape it up. Done.

But why would you want to do this? For the life of me I can't figure this one out?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^ What he said^^^^

If it has brakes, I'd leave them alone. They are there for a reason.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say how tiny this trailer is so before you do anything you need to verify with your DMV to see if you are required to have brakes on your trailer. Second if they are installed by the manufacturer I would think there was a reason. Other than that I would just cut the brake wire, leave the brakes installed. Or cut wires at solenoids, and remove brake shoes/pads.

Most importantly brakes are installed on trailers for safe operation on the road