cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Length (generally speaking)

wrenchnone
Explorer
Explorer
We've picked out a trailer. We love the floor plan, price fair, good dealer, close to home, and within the towing limits of our truck. Getting ready to pull the pin on it. Only one thing bothering me. It is ball hitch style and 29'7" long. I'm wondering if there is a length that would limit us from lots of camping spots. Or put another way....Once you get to a certain length everything about it becomes "much" more difficult. what would that length be? Thoughts?
20 REPLIES 20

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We have 31' TT (pic in profile) and have been all over the country. I can only remember one site at a SP that gave us an issue and we were just doing an over night stay.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 36ft TT with an F-250 short box and have never had a problem finding or getting into a site. Total length for us is 56 ft.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
We are at 28' which is just a bit shorter than what you are considering. As other replies to your post have said, commercial CGs will ask the length of your rig and put you in something suitable (in MOST cases!!). In over 20 years of towing, we have yet to encounter a CG that didn't have a site large enough for our TT and I suspect you will have no issues, either.

Quite frankly, at 28'-30' you will have a much larger selection of sites from which to choose than the folks that went out and bought the biggest RV they could find. I have zero sympathy for those who do so and then whine incessantly about their sites being too small. JMHO

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Your question is very subjective and to be answered correctly you need to look at where you want to go with it, how much experience you have driving a long rig and what your patience is. I have a TT nearly 34' long but I have a lot of experience driving and camping. We also spent the last 20 years exploring the country every chance we got. I think the 28-30 ' length is still very doable most everywhere. I also think that in that length you need to do a little planning as there may be sites and certain camps that are too tight. I am on that new adventure as to where we will go to areas and set up camp for a week or more and then use the TV to go exploring. So sit down with the family and decide what type of camping you want to do and then decide if the TT fits the need. As far as backing etc.. that becomes easier not more difficult as long as you have the clearance. I used to take my 10' motorcycle trailer and back it most anywhere with my 35' DP that is much more difficult than backing my 34' TT with my Pickup.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
The majority of campgrounds ask the legnth of your trailer when booking a site. They are aware of what fits where within there campground, and try to put larger trailers on larger pads, smaller on smaller.

This does not mean they will not push that envelope if it means an empty site (no money) or squeazing you in there (making money). Often it will come down to your ability to back the unit into that smaller site.

The big thing is to be comfortable backing the unit into those---barely fit---sites. Everyone on here can probably tell the story were once the trailer was unhooked, they had to find a place to park the TV cause it was blocking the street.

In most instances, larger trailers are easier to back up than smaller trailers. It is a wheel base thing that keeps the trailer from jackknifing so quickly that you can hardly react to it. I am sure somewhere on this wonderful web there is an explanation of how that works.

sail2liv
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our 26.5 ft 5er with a very livable floor plan and will fit in a 20 ft site if clearance in the rear....also have cc long bed truck for longest wheel base for towing....total length of rig is under 45 ft....a ball hitch off the bumper trailer same size would be over 53 ft...drawback is 5 er height....but is not issue for us so far