cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer sway

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having followed a number of trailers I noticed a lot of swaying on some, and have heard that towing a 5th wheel eliminates that sway. I have been looking at short 5th wheels and trailers in the 20-25 ft range. What are the main reasons for this sway? Will a shorter one have less sway than a longer one? Will a weight distribution hitch eliminate the sway? How much does the hitch weight affect it? The main advantage that I see of a trailer vs a 5th wheel is you can use a smaller truck to tow with and can use the bed of the truck for storage. I really don't want to use a HD truck as a DD when not towing.
18 REPLIES 18

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow a 25 ft Dutchmen with an F-150 using a Blue Ox hitch. I have over towed 40,000 mile in five years.

Across the CAT scales, my TT weights 6200 lbs. that is 1200 lbs. over the dry weight. That puts 700 lbs. on the tongue, which combined with my family, tools and camp gear reaches the TV max cargo capacity.

Cross winds, trucks, busses and driving habits all contribute to sway. But a properly balanced WD hitch will pull straight.

I think you will also find most folks do not drive straight as an arrow, they tend to drift within the lane. This is exaggerated by the TT. I does not seem to be much of an issue and I suspect it goes unknown to most drivers.

I would think a fifth wheel would pull smoother but it does present a taller wind profile. Most importantly, in spite of the half ton towable hype, few half tons have the cargo capacities to carry load of a fifty wheel.

There are a few half ton models that can be ordered with a super duty cargo package but if you really want a fifth wheel I think you will have to choose a 3/4 ton tow vehicle.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO, the main reason a 5th wheel is more stable is the pivot point between the vehicles is close to the rear axle. Say a side wind, push rear of TV to the side. With the hitch half the wheelbase behind the axle, more leverage to put TV axles out of line with expected direction of travel.
Also with the hitch close to axle, a higher percentage of the weight can be carried by TV without reducing the weight on steering axle. And many can't stand under the idea, lifting the front of the TV can change the alignment enough to make the TV wonder in lane, and corrections can feel like the trailer is in control.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
A trailer needs around 10% - 15% of its weight to rest on the hitch. Too little results in sway. That's almost always the case with a shorter trailer. Sway can be induced by side wind too.

Many people intentionally wiggle the trailer to get a peek behind it. Before I got a rear view camera, I did that.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Add a sway bar for under $100.
I used a one ton Ford as a DD for 15 years with no problems.