cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Tires

chrisbailey13
Explorer
Explorer
I did not author this, I am only sharing information I found.

Trailer Tire Applicationsโ€ขTrailer tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only. They are not built to handle the loads applied to, or the traction required by, drive or steering axles.

โ€ขAn "LT" designation on a trailer tire size specifies load range only. It is not designed for use on light trucks.

โ€ขDo not mount "ST" or "LT" trailer tires on passenger cars or light trucks.

Inflationโ€ขAlways inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.

โ€ขCheck inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.

โ€ขIf the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add three psi to the max inflation.

โ€ขUnderinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure.
Load Carrying Capacity

โ€ขAll tires must be identical in size for the tires to properly manage the weight of the trailer.

โ€ขThe combined capacity of the tires must equal or exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the axle.

โ€ขThe combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20 percent.

โ€ขIf the actual weight is not available, use the trailer GVW. If a tire fails on a tandem axle trailer, you should replace both tires on that side. The remaining tire is likely to have been subjected to excessive loading.

โ€ขIf the tires are replaced with tires of larger diameter, the tongue height may need to be adjusted to maintain proper weight distribution.
Speedโ€ขAll "ST" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.

โ€ขAs heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken.

โ€ขThe load carrying capacity gradually decreases as the heat and stresses generated by higher speed increases.
Timeโ€ขTime and the elements weaken a trailer tire.

โ€ขIn approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.

โ€ขThree to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.

โ€ขIt is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.
Mileage

โ€ขTrailer tires are not designed to wear out.

โ€ขThe life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.

โ€ขThe mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.
Why Use An "ST" Tireโ€ข"ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.

โ€ขThe polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.

โ€ขThe steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.

โ€ข"ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.
Storage

โ€ขThe ideal storage for trailer tires is in a cool, dark garage at maximum inflation.

โ€ขUse tire covers to protect the tires from direct sunlight.

โ€ขUse thin plywood sections between the tire and the pavement.

โ€ขFor long term storage, put the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires. Then lower the air pressure and cover the tires to protect them from direct sunlight.
Maintenanceโ€ขClean the tires using mild soap and water.

โ€ขDo not use tire-care products containing alcohol or petroleum distillates.

โ€ขInspect the tires for any cuts, snags, bulges or punctures.

โ€ขCheck the inflation before towing and again before the return trip.
Keys to Avoiding Troubleโ€ขMake sure your rig is equipped with the proper tires.

โ€ขMaintain the tires meticulously.

โ€ขReplace trailer tires every three to five years, whether they look like they're worn out or not.

These facts are courtesy of Discount Tire.
29 REPLIES 29

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Best bet is don't drive in hot weather.
Next best bet is always start w/ max pressure on sidewall, then adjust for treadwear. And if loaded to the max or more, add to the sidewall pressure to keep heat down. Better to have center treadwear than have it come apart. And it will come apart in hot weather if running hot.
Yep, I used to work for a tire shop, I seen it all.
Me ??? Very simple,.... I just don't drive in hot weather, period !
That's pretty easy for you to say.
How hot does it get in oregon?
If I didn't drive in hot weather, then there is many months of the year where I couldn't drive at all. Hot weather in Phoenix AZ is a way of life.
Getting up to the cool mountains offers some respite, but in order to get there, one must drive in hot weather.. No matter. Good LT tires can handle it just fine.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vulcan Rider wrote:
RJsfishin wrote:
And if loaded to the max or more, add to the sidewall pressure to keep heat down.

I just don't drive in hot weather, period !

That first statement can be dangerous.

NO tire company in the world recommends going beyond the MAXIMUM pressure on the sidewall; that's why it is called MAXIMUM.

If you get into that situation, you need the next higher load range tires.

And then, living where you do maybe you can avoid really hot weather; alas most of us can't so we just need to deal with it properly and safely.

I am a survivor of a 10.00 x 20 trailer tire explosion. Adding more air than recommended is dangerous and foolish. I am fully trained and experienced however failures occur. I'll leave it at that.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
And if loaded to the max or more, add to the sidewall pressure to keep heat down.

I just don't drive in hot weather, period !

That first statement can be dangerous.

NO tire company in the world recommends going beyond the MAXIMUM pressure on the sidewall; that's why it is called MAXIMUM.

If you get into that situation, you need the next higher load range tires.

And then, living where you do maybe you can avoid really hot weather; alas most of us can't so we just need to deal with it properly and safely.

chrisbailey13
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Next best bet is always start w/ max pressure on sidewall, then adjust for treadwear. And if loaded to the max or more, add to the sidewall pressure to keep heat down. Better to have center treadwear than have it come apart. And it will come apart in hot weather if running hot.

Not driving in hot weather when you live in FL is a bit of a challenge.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
There are many half truths in this document meant to generate tire sales

Can't believe I missed that.
Now to go back and read it again.
Marketing propaganda takes many different forms.

I counted 12 contradictions, lies, marketing hype and half truths in this list attributed to Direct Tire. I'm not sure they put this together but if they did I would never buy a tire from them.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:

Can't believe I missed that.
Now to go back and read it again.
Marketing propaganda takes many different forms.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
When my trailers need tires, I will install the same tires I have on my truck: LT load range E. I will inflate them according to the load.
IF tires should be inflated to the sidewall pressure, why did Jeep say that the LT Load Range E tires on my '06 Rubicon should be inflated to 33 PSI for normal driving, and 12 to 15 PSI for off-road?
Oh, right, ST tires are "different". Yes, they are, that is why they will be replaced with LT Load Range E if at all possible. Obviously, nobody makes LT tires to fit the little ATV trailer!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
chrisbailey13 wrote:

Inflationโ€ขAlways inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.

โ€ขIf the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add three psi to the max inflation.

Most of those points can be considered "facts"; some shouldn't be.

My trailer plus load NEVER exceeds half of the load rating of the tires. Therefore using the max. inflation pressure will result in poor contact area, increased center wear and a harsher ride than necessary. It won't really hurt anything but the tires will wear out quicker. This situation is preferred to under-inflation though.

Tires will ALWAYS be "hot to the touch" after driving in the summertime. Blindly following this recommendation, especially combined with the other one above, could result in a dangerous situation. What if you feel them again in a few hundred miles and the STILL are HOT ???
Well I think most of Discount Tire's points are pretty accurate. Like anything else, people have to apply a little common sense. :@

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
guidry wrote:
When my 3 OEM **** tires separated after only one and a half years and 12,000 miles, the tire supplier, Lions Head, to my RV manufacturer emailed me a warranty denial letter that quoted Discount Tire's website study on life of trailer tires. I ended up calling Discount Tires attorneys who sent a letter to Lions Head.

Another problem is that the less expensive tires are cheap imports that are basically ****. Sadly the US doesn't make as many tires as they used to. Manufacturers put garbage on to get the product out

the door.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
When my 3 OEM **** tires separated after only one and a half years and 12,000 miles, the tire supplier, Lions Head, to my RV manufacturer emailed me a warranty denial letter that quoted Discount Tire's website study on life of trailer tires. I ended up calling Discount Tires attorneys who sent a letter to Lions Head.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vulcan Rider wrote:
chrisbailey13 wrote:

My trailer plus load NEVER exceeds half of the load rating of the tires. Therefore using the max. inflation pressure will result in poor contact area, increased center wear and a harsher ride than necessary. It won't really hurt anything but the tires will wear out quicker. This situation is preferred to under-inflation though.

Tires will ALWAYS be "hot to the touch" after driving in the summertime. Blindly following this recommendation, especially combined with the other one above, could result in a dangerous situation. What if you feel them again in a few hundred miles and the STILL are HOT ???

I thought the same thing concerning the tires being hot. I carry a temperature checker and would compare tires during a trip.A difference in temperature and i would use a pressure gauge. Next time

you walk past a big rig at a rest area just touch one of the tires on the drive axle.A little warm aye?

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
chrisbailey13 wrote: