cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer Inspection in Texas

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone had to renew their TT registration in Texas since 1 March? I tried today and was told the TT had to be inspected before I could renew. From what I was told, everything is in a database now. What a bunch of BS, I've owned a TT for over 20 years and never had to get it inspected. Took it to a regular inspection station and the guy didn't have a clue what to inspect,just looked at the lights and tires. IMO, this is just another way to squeeze a "little more" from us. I am truly disgusted.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch
30 REPLIES 30

doublenot7
Explorer
Explorer
bstar1952 wrote:
Anyone had to renew their TT registration in Texas since 1 March? I tried today and was told the TT had to be inspected before I could renew. From what I was told, everything is in a database now. What a bunch of BS, I've owned a TT for over 20 years and never had to get it inspected. Took it to a regular inspection station and the guy didn't have a clue what to inspect,just looked at the lights and tires. IMO, this is just another way to squeeze a "little more" from us. I am truly disgusted.

So for 20 years you have been in violation of the law. So what are you disgusted about? 4,500 GVWR trailers have always required a safety inspection as far as I can recall, not sure when it actually came about. Most, not all, RV places should be able to handle the inspection for you.

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
zmanmike wrote:
Just had my trailer inspected here in El Paso, TX. There's no need to take it to an RV shop or truck stop, your regular yearly inspection station will do it.

I concur with this. I called my local inspection station (Kwik Kar) and they confirmed they can do it. It is a simple safety inspection.
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Major Dad wrote:
legolas wrote:
Mr. Camper wrote:
I agree. To explain why would be a political answer and the moderators are intolerant of such things. Texas is the only location I've been forced to travel through and constantly run into hassles unlike every state in the union. To my knowledge they are also one of two states whom constantly speak of leaving the United States.

I have been through Texas a number of times and never had a problem. Could it be that you are a member of the "over 65 mph at any time" club. Just sayin..

There is no longer a lower speed limit for RVs, trucks, etc. in Texas. That being said, I don't exceed the 65 mph speed limit my trailer tires impose on me because I don't want to be the main course at a buzzard buffet on a lonely West Texas highway!

As far as Texas seceding, we wouldn't do that because the rest of the country is too dependent upon us! :B
Amen to that

zmanmike
Explorer
Explorer
Just had my trailer inspected here in El Paso, TX. There's no need to take it to an RV shop or truck stop, your regular yearly inspection station will do it.

Remember that inspections stickers are no longer being issued. Keep your inspection report handy as now that your vehicle (car, truck, trailer...) no longer has an inspection sticker, you will be a target for law enforcement. Already heard of several people stopped due to the no sticker.
Current Rig-
'01 Kit Companion TT- 12K Equalizer, Prodigy, Champion C46540
'05 F-350, 6.0L, 4x4, CC
'99 Expedition 4x4

Previous Rigs-
'79 Scamper Cab-Over
'72 Winni Brave
'82 3/4 Ton Chevy Truck (w/TBI conversion)
'78 3/4 Ton GMC Truck (w/57,000 original miles)

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
legolas wrote:
Mr. Camper wrote:
I agree. To explain why would be a political answer and the moderators are intolerant of such things. Texas is the only location I've been forced to travel through and constantly run into hassles unlike every state in the union. To my knowledge they are also one of two states whom constantly speak of leaving the United States.

I have been through Texas a number of times and never had a problem. Could it be that you are a member of the "over 65 mph at any time" club. Just sayin..

There is no longer a lower speed limit for RVs, trucks, etc. in Texas. That being said, I don't exceed the 65 mph speed limit my trailer tires impose on me because I don't want to be the main course at a buzzard buffet on a lonely West Texas highway!

As far as Texas seceding, we wouldn't do that because the rest of the country is too dependent upon us! :B
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Camper wrote:

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I believe that line would be for motorhomes only.

lawdes
Explorer
Explorer
Window tint on a trailer???

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
bstar1952 wrote:
Texas has always required a trailer safety inspection. The regular inspector should have had a clue if he has an inspection license. It is spelled out by DPS here:

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)
2. Tires
3. Wheel Assembly
4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
5. Tail Lamps (2)
6. Stop Lamps (2)
7. License Plate Lamp (1)
8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
9. Turn Signal Lamps
10. Clearance Lamps
11. Side Marker Lamps
12. Side Reflectors
13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number
15. Window Tint.
It is not a bunch of BS, it is the same as for autos, to try to keep the unsafe vehicles off the road.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Well, in Michigan, we have no inspections for anything ever, and for all trailers we buy the plate and thats it. For as long as you own it no more fees. NICE!!

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Welcome to my world. In PA we have had annual trailer inspections for many years. These official inspection stations pull at least one brake drum from each axle. They have stripped wheel studs, smashed hub caps, contaminated bearing grease, destroyed grease seals, used cotter pins so small that they were dangerous, tightened lug nuts to only 35 ft. lbs., adjusted wheel bearings wrong and charged me for this wonderful service. I could write a book about all the faulty work done to my cars and trailers in the name of safety.

I think you need to find a better shop. Cause I have never had any problems what so ever when getting my tt or my vehicles inspected.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
texasclarks wrote:
As a Texan who is active military, has Texas as home of residence, but lives out of state this will be a real pain. We don't go home every year. Hopefully they will be able to make an exception for those who are residents but don't live there or aren't in Texas. I really don't want to get new tags on TT (and every other motor vehicle I own).

I can understand the background, I am just hoping there are exceptions to the rule.

There is.

This rule applies to all your personal vehicles registered in Texas, not just trailers/ RVs. Your truck or car has to pass safety inspection before the registration can be renewed.

The separate state inspection sticker has been eliminated.

Now safety inspection results go into a state database, and before the county tax assessor can renew the registration, the database has to show the vehicle has passed inspection.

All you have to do when you are renewing your registration is certify the vehicle is out of state. The registration can be renewed, and you need to have the vehicle inspected within 48 hours of returning to Texas.

This is the state official web site on the changed procedures:

Texas Registration
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
We get ours inspected every year with it being 9,000 lbs. On that I thought it was going to be for cars, trucks on inspection stickers & tags. The local news & DPS was not real clear on how it is done. I went to get my inspection done to find out as I renew my tags it will get inspected for them. I was also told you have 90 days to get it inspected before the tags are due. Will need to find out about the campers inspection too. It is hard to find someone here in Midland that does inspections. Now DH takes the camper to a trucking center for inspection.

Sharon

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
As a Texan who is active military, has Texas as home of residence, but lives out of state this will be a real pain. We don't go home every year. Hopefully they will be able to make an exception for those who are residents but don't live there or aren't in Texas. I really don't want to get new tags on TT (and every other motor vehicle I own).

I can understand the background, I am just hoping there are exceptions to the rule.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!