cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travelling with the U dinnette 'down'

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
We usually leave the table out of the U dinette, and put it at the back of the trailer while travelling (on the lower of our jack and jill bunks), is this necessary? Is it ok to travel with it set up in 'bed' mode?
2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT
18 REPLIES 18

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Our '07 ROO 23SS had the flimsy folding tubular type legs and yes, it wandered all over the trailer as we just left it in the table position. Don't know if it's the same now, but the heat ducting ran in a boxed-in section against the outside wall and we just put a small eye-hook in there and used the smallest bungy cord we had and secured it. No more wandering around. But DH hated those legs and it wasn't long before we went to the post-type with the floor mount and liked it a lot better. I can't recall ever traveling with the table in the bed position because we never needed it to stow anything, but did want the table available. On two occasions, DH was lucky enough to get to sleep on the comfy (?) sofa and I had the dinette. Glad it was only a night each time.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
Not only did we travel with it down, we never made the table (20 day trip)! Considering making it a 'permanent' bed, by adding additional supports and getting a comfy mattress to fit the space.
2008 Nissan Armada TV

HTT_to_be_
Explorer
Explorer
3LittleDucks wrote:
Looks great! Thanks for the pics. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you, and you are welcome. I have been gone for a bit, but I sure do love this site!
2007 Jayco 23B
2009 E350 Ford Club Wagon 5.4 w/ tow pkg;)
Equalizer hitch, Prodigy P3 brake controller
Buddy 125 Scooter-FUN!
1997 Coleman Sunridge- Served us well for 11 years!

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great! Thanks for the pics. ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Nissan Armada TV

HTT_to_be_
Explorer
Explorer

The supports are screwed thru to the inside of the dinette where I also have a 1x3 backer. There is also a brace added that goes to the outside wall. This serves as a support for the seat cushion area as well as provides rigidity so the dinette flange cannot flex when weight is applied. Be sure to put a backing plate on the outside wall behind the brace.

Jayco tables have an aluminum v brace for strength running the length of the table, actually 2 of them. A notch in the pvc will keep the support in place.

This shows one in place and a better view of the support.
I like to beef things up so they last. Did the same thing to our Sunridge pop up and she lasted and still looked new when we sold it to get the HTT.
If you need more info just ask!!Happy to help.
2007 Jayco 23B
Buddy 125 Scooter-FUN!

msue
Explorer
Explorer
HTT to be? wrote:
PVC supports are a great way to keep your table from bending when used as a bed. First mod if you want the table top to last. I also like to reinforce the horizontal end braces with vertical braces. You are right that the supports are awfully narrow. My son is over 200lbs and always sleeps on the dinette bed so want to be sure she holds up for years!
On our Jayco they do not use Velcro, but they do have a rubber bumper stop on each side that holds the bed from sliding out. You can see them on the right end of the support.

Would you show the pvc supports? Also, did you glue the vertical supports?
Suzanne

HTT_to_be_
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, forgot to answer orig post question....Yes, we always travel with the dinette in stowed position.
2007 Jayco 23B
Buddy 125 Scooter-FUN!

HTT_to_be_
Explorer
Explorer
PVC supports are a great way to keep your table from bending when used as a bed. First mod if you want the table top to last. I also like to reinforce the horizontal end braces with vertical braces. You are right that the supports are awfully narrow. My son is over 200lbs and always sleeps on the dinette bed so want to be sure she holds up for years!
On our Jayco they do not use Velcro, but they do have a rubber bumper stop on each side that holds the bed from sliding out. You can see them on the right end of the support.

2007 Jayco 23B
Buddy 125 Scooter-FUN!

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the extra velcro strips? I can't believe how narrow the ledges are that support the table.
2008 Nissan Armada TV

scottew71
Explorer
Explorer
When we picked our Roo up from the dealer I left the table up in table mode. It had slid all over and banged into the cabinets. Luckily there was no damage. It has been in bed mode every time the trailer has moved since.
Scott, Betty,Natalie(DD). Rachel (dog). 2016 Aerolite 292 DBHS 2012 F-150 Super Crew Ecoboost Max Tow

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
hmm, we don't have that on ours. Should be easy to add with the adhesive stuff..
2008 Nissan Armada TV

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
there should be velcro under the sides of the table top and along the supports around the dinette that the table top rests on in bed mode.
this keeps it from moving in transit.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that's what I always thought but hubby was worried about it moving during transit, so we store it on a bed. Sometimes we would use the open part of the U for kids bikes, so had to have the table elsewhere, but we're not taking them on our big trip.

Ours is also the free standing variety, the legs fold under and are held together with a velcro strap.
2008 Nissan Armada TV

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
In looking at photos of your trailer its a similar setup to both Jayco's we've had. Because we don't have any place to store the table, we always travel with the table in "bed mode". We were also told by the dealer to travel this way. We lay our out door chairs and a few other things on top of it. First thing when pulling is to take that stuff outside including the table.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)