cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report - climbing hills and milling near Waterville WA

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Morning ๐Ÿ™‚ This marks the 3rd (or is it 4th) outing in the 990 as a mobile office and 6th or 7th trip in it over all. I've driven some 1000+ miles now with it and can say that while I think I will get a sway bar and new shocks it's really quite decent to drive as is. the F350 SRW (6.4l PS Diesel Long Box Crew 4x4) seems to handle it very well.

This trip took me 84 miles from home and up over 4000 feet near Waterville WA and the climb up out of Wenatchee (up Badger Mountain rd) was a test on the cooling system with the tire up front. The Turbo's did get warm (moved past normal to about 3/4 of the way to 'yellow') and I could tell the power plant was hot but the gauges all read normal. There was just heat coming off the hood so it was clearly working! That's a good 4 mile climb of about 3000 feet in elevation gain with the camper and mill!

Once we got to the 'driveway' in it was another 3 or 4 miles of fairly uneven dirt road to crawl along. I must admit that this is where the heavy rear end really became noticeable and I cringed a bit here and there. With the air bags at 30psi the truck rides very good on the pavement but out in the rough country it's just not enough and the sway back and forth was starting to become something I didn't appreciate ๐Ÿ˜‰ This folks, is where the dually would shine! I could tell but I made it in anyway though we did unhook the mill and let the customer pull it the last quarter mile due to some seriously tight spots that even he had to back and forth a little to get past with his little Nissan pickup! No way I was going to make it without major pucker factor.

With the truck setup and the mill dropped off I discovered the altitude change locked up the mill which has happened before. Woodmizer tells me it has something to do with the fuel system and not to fill it up when traveling. This time I had it just above 3/4s full and I guess it was too much. But an hour wait and it was running fine. Weird huh?

I put the orange 'don't bump your head here' floaties' up and didn't bump my head even once ๐Ÿ˜„

4000lbs of 'test your F350 with a camper' milling machine ๐Ÿ™‚ I really enjoy milling but have to admit that my hands don't always work well or hurt a fair bit due to arthritis so am taking a month or two off I think to see how that goes.

As I kicked on the generator to power up my compressor to clean off the mill after a log (and as I wouldn't be milling more that day anyway) I recorded the hours on the genset. 18.7! This is a camper that was brand new on April 1st of this year with ZERO hours on the genset. Yup, I use the genny a fair bit and love it!

Looking down from the AF Fox Landing at the control station of the mill. I load the logs and operate the sawmill from two places. Hydraulics on the right under the square and electronics on the left. It has 'simple set' which allows me to set two different board thicknesses that I can select and the mill 'remembers' where the last cut was at so when I come back to make another one I just hit the down switch and it goes to the next start location. It's a feature I LOVE!

Looking down the deck at a CANT (squared up log for milling).

Could only get to here on day one as the help left and the customer had to take them to town. So I chilled out in the camper and surfed the net (thanks to 2 bars of 4g). When the customer returned he said he wanted everything as wide as I could make it so I milled the rest of the 1 1/4" pine at 18" wide.

The next morning started off right with sunshine and coffee ๐Ÿ™‚ I woke up at 3:30am and then 5am and it was 55f inside the camper so I kicked on the heat and am loving the ability to set a temp and let it do the work while I go back to bed and let the stove get me some hot water for coffee ๐Ÿ™‚ Life is good with an Arctic Fox!

We got the mill going before 7am and finished up at noon 30. Then after packing up we headed back to the pavement 4 miles away. He pulled the mill out for me and the trip out was much better (the camper sets the rear end around 7600lbs as configured now and the tires are rated at 8160). With the stable loads and air bags it rides much better without the 400lbs tongue weight of the mill (due to the 3 foot extender) but it still rocked back and forth on the uneven road and once took a really big side movement! it was a tough one and I saw stuff fall in the camper. The oven door fell open discharging pots and pans on the floor but otherwise all was well and I was able to hook up the mill near the pavement and head out.

The trip down out of the mountains was uneventful but slow. I dropped into 3rd and then even 2nd to let the engine slow me down on the steep declines. No exhaust break in the 2010 as some suggested. Sorry, no matter what I did there was no exhaust break but the engine slowed me just fine.

At the customers home I saw some awesome furniture and stuff he makes out of wood! Wow, the guy is an artist and has Parkinson's that makes it hard for him to walk and speak but man he doesn't slow down!

All in all another successful trip
2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990
15 REPLIES 15

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ I love the mill and the camper ๐Ÿ™‚
2019 AF990

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's a nice mill. . .wish I had one years ago.
Paired with the Arctic Fox, it makes a nice lifestyle.
Thanks for the report.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
A moderator fixed it.

deltabravo wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
please change the width on your photos--it makes text hard to read. It makes it impossible to view the entire photograph one has to scroll from side to side.

Photos look fine to me. I don't have to scroll side to side.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
please change the width on your photos--it makes text hard to read. It makes it impossible to view the entire photograph one has to scroll from side to side.

Photos look fine to me. I don't have to scroll side to side.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I went through Waterville last Wednesday on my way to the NW Overland Rally.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
emcvay wrote:
All pics are 800x600 which I thought was ok? I specifically resize them and store in my own forum for that reason...on my phone it looks good.

Took care of this for ya Erik.

Thanks. I will admit frustration with this but realize that perhaps there are still a lot of people using older PC's or the forum software might not auto size the screen. I run dartplayer.net which is the oldest darts forum on the net ๐Ÿ™‚ and recently moved off phpnuke to Xenforo and am VERY happy i did!

Anyway, thanks for the resize and i will endeavor to shrink my images down even further in the future!
2019 AF990

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Nice TC report. Text and pics are fine.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
emcvay wrote:
All pics are 800x600 which I thought was ok? I specifically resize them and store in my own forum for that reason...on my phone it looks good.

Took care of this for ya Erik.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
DWeikert wrote:
Now that's an office with a view. Thanks for sharing.

X2 -- if ya got to work, that's hard to beat.
Cal

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
The very last one looks like 1024x768 but even it looks okay to me. Then again I'm using a large monitor, so...
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
2019 AF990

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now that's an office with a view. Thanks for sharing.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Everything looks fine on my IPad.
The front end spare tire mount, how close does the front receiver come to the bottom of the front bumper? If you have a picture of that I would appreciate seeing it.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.