cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report -- WA to Northern BC and Back

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Took me a while to post this here because I had to come up with a new way to host pics for posting trip reports and the like.

We left Moses Lake WA on August 10th with a quick stop at Dutch Bros for fuel ๐Ÿ˜„ Of the Coffee kind ๐Ÿ˜‰

With tasty iced coffee's in hand, the generator running to keep the AC on and the camper cool, we headed north in our new setup with smiles on our faces as we had planned this trip a LONG time.

Since we'd already done 1200 miles with the new 6.7 dually we knew it would be a breeze with the new truck so no worries there and we would learn, as the miles ticked away by the hundreds that we had no idea just how nice the new truck was! Can I saw it was awesome? a beast? bad as....well, you get the idea! What a truck!

Couple hours into the trip found us at Chief Joseph Dam for a short break to get rid of some coffee ๐Ÿ˜‰ Then we were back on the road but not before capturing another pic with the dam this time.

We continued north until the duty free to pick up some spirits at serious money savings, then waited in line for our border crossing which was a tad slow for Osoyoos but overall a breeze. Once across we continued to point north and headed to Peachland where I'd once lived and went to Kindergarten.

It had started raining along the way but the rain didn't last long and we were soon strolling around looking for my old house, having lunch, checking out the old school and just generally having a great time and experience.

If your old school is a museum does that make you old?

Once we were done in Peachland we continued on our Northward trek heading for Merritt BC and finally Monck Provincial Park a few miles out of town. The climb up into the hills was not just uneventful and undramatic for us in the new truck but I had toi keep slowing DOWN! 8% grades going up over 6400 feet with the new 6.7 was like driving on flat ground! Wow! I'd pass slow moving struggling rigs and look down and go "gee, I ought to slow down now!"...too easy! Down hill was even better with no breaking at all really! Engine breaking is awesome ๐Ÿ˜„

After a slow and bumpy drive out of Merritt to the campground we get settled in for a relaxing evening. It was easy to check in, the site was great and frankly we were just all smiles. We love traveling with the camper frankly and having it nice and cool on arrival was a big bonus though the temps were now such that we wouldn't need the AC much moving forward. We'd left central WA with temps in the high 80's and low 90's and come to the BC interior where temps were in the low to mid 70's ๐Ÿ˜„ In other words, heaven!

We had picked up a second set of leveling blocks and were glad we did because the site was small and not too level for our rig but it was a breeze to setup anyway.

I had, however, broken our flimsy step ladder just prior to the trip (on our last one) so had to improvise! I'll get a better one soon.

Loved the site and lake and wished I had brought the canoe but then my arthritic wrists might not have and I am fighting some serious tendonitis in the elbows so it probably was the best. Maybe just a relax at the site with a drink would be better ๐Ÿ˜‰

We continued north and ran into some mild BC weather along the way. It's to be expected really and having lived some 20yrs in the province I was prepared. Again, however, loving the camper, it was easy to pick a spot to stop for lunch and since the camp grounds frown at generators running in the wee hours of the AM my wife took advantage of the stop to run her hair implements which she is happiest doing in the morning and which require the generator to be running. I ate a nice home made sandwich and chips and pondered what fish might be in the lake while relaxing in the dinette. Another truck camper was just ahead of us doing the same thing ๐Ÿ˜„ In fact, truck campers were everywhere we drove...it's like 97 is Truck Camper BiWay!

As the miles ticked by so too did places I had heard about and been through as a kid and I couldn't help but get at least one pic. We had plans though, so didn't spend any time in each of the 'mile houses'...still, kinda fun to see them all after all these years.

and then there was this....I'd been to Bella Coola on my way to Ocean Falls back in the 70's and there, in big letters, was the direction to head if one wanted to make that long trek to the coast. I wondered if the road was still gravel?

Another tidbit is that 8 years ago I was hired to do some work for a company by their president who grew up on a homestead near Bella Coola and that was down in Central WA. Small world eh?

After some 350 miles or so we finally made it to Barkerville which was a lifelong destination for me. My sister had been some 45 years earlier and I'd always wanted to market the trip myself and here we were...met by heavy rainfall but it didn't dampen our spirits at all!

Day two done, time for a meal, some relaxing, cards and bed....since this is pic intensive I'll stop here and post this part of the report and continue in a reply......
2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990
28 REPLIES 28

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that has to be it since we were close to Kamloops
2019 AF990

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
emcvay wrote:

Not sure which lake this is but it's north of the Okanagan and south of Cache Creek. Nice views up here though!

Looks like Kamloops lake to me.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice trip report. Such beautiful scenery in that part of the continent. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Wide open sawing but a Smokey Mountain trip planned toward the end of October. We will be in the 5th wheel so the TC will have to stay at home this time.
magic43

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
magic43 wrote:
Wow Erik, it's good to meet an "Old Friend" somewhere else along our life's highway. At least we do not have sawdust in our pockets when we are traveling. ๐Ÿ˜‰ MM

Howdy MM, well met indeed! Don't mind my share of sawdust, if these darn arms will let it build up ๐Ÿ˜‰ But it sure is nice to use the mobile milling office for RV'ing ๐Ÿ˜‰

How's things?
2019 AF990

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Wow Erik, it's good to meet an "Old Friend" somewhere else along our life's highway. At least we do not have sawdust in our pockets when we are traveling. ๐Ÿ˜‰ MM
magic43

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Thanks for the link to the fantastic trip report. I'll make sure I get it added to the sticky.

1,000 miles / week is what I plan for my trips while I'm still working so know it was quick but very enjoyable.

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ We usually don't do that many miles but this trip certainly makes us think it's very doable and we'll have to do more of it.

Sadly, our next trip (very soon and another 1200 miles) will be for a funeral service so not with the same happy intent ๐Ÿ˜ž
2019 AF990

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
Eric&Lisa wrote:
emcvay wrote:
Took me a while to post this here because I had to come up with a new way to host pics...

It's a little more techie than a consumer picture hosting site....but I have been pretty happy using Amazon S3 for hosting pictures for forum posts. It is important to resize pictures and turn down their resolution a bit. That creates smaller file sizes which results is less storage and less transfer fees. Even so, I am on pennies per month to use it.

YMMV,
-Eric

Truth is I have a server and a forum of my own but the gallery software is limited there and I'm not thrilled with using it to host pics like these so today I just made a new directory and dumped them all there ๐Ÿ˜‰ Not as organized but easy enough.
2019 AF990

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the link to the fantastic trip report. I'll make sure I get it added to the sticky.

1,000 miles / week is what I plan for my trips while I'm still working so know it was quick but very enjoyable.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
emcvay wrote:
Took me a while to post this here because I had to come up with a new way to host pics...

It's a little more techie than a consumer picture hosting site....but I have been pretty happy using Amazon S3 for hosting pictures for forum posts. It is important to resize pictures and turn down their resolution a bit. That creates smaller file sizes which results is less storage and less transfer fees. Even so, I am only pennies per month to use it.

YMMV,
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2 wrote:
emcvay, very nice trip report and I did watched your videos with interest. It's a wonderful thing when one can go down memory lane and see the physical past. Barkerville will be a stop on our next journey up north. Make sure you sent a PM to koldad with your TCTR link so it can be archive with all the other TCTR. Also what can you tell me about Bella Coola?

Thanks ๐Ÿ˜„ and yes it was an amazing thing to go back to the old homestead! We'll do it again too!

Bella Coola was a very small fishing town on the coast with a VERY long dirt road drive through untamed wilderness when I was last there. We flew in and boated or flew out actually and as I was last there around 42-3 years ago I can't remember much. Ocean Falls, however, I remember a lot of but you can't drive there, or Bella Bella. Look up 'The Rain People' to learn about Ocean Falls

I'll have to send a PM to koldad, thanks.
2019 AF990

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer

Further south we found ourselves passing once again through Cache Creek BC and into the drier parts of the Province. This spot in particular I wanted to spend some time at on the way up but it was just not a good time for it and thought maybe on the way back....then accidentally pulled over there for lunch on the way home ๐Ÿ˜„ Love that!

Pull over, get pics, open slide, make lunch, relax ๐Ÿ˜„ Life is good!

There were not many 'rest' areas but there were a lot of these pullouts on 97 and that worked for us.

Not sure which lake this is but it's north of the Okanagan and south of Cache Creek. Nice views up here though!

Right there, in the middle of those two buildings was a house. A house I lived in when I was 5 ๐Ÿ™‚

Last day, after a visit to Peachland and some icecream, was at Okanagan South park. A bit crowded for us but a lot of nice spots and certainly the ones on the water were awesome...we didn't get one of those this time but would like to come back.

153 miles long and nearly 800 feet deep, this is a big lake!

End of the day view ๐Ÿ™‚ We walked down to the beach, put our chairs out and relaxed. Love that!

Loving the clear water too!

Last looks before heading south again...for the final leg.

After a short inspection we were back in the US of A ๐Ÿ˜„

The 'Evergreen State'? Ya right! ha!

After 2000 miles she took the helm and loved driving the new truck. Took her a little getting used to but she will be driving more now.

So, 2200 miles, two weeks and smiles for miles ๐Ÿ˜„

Can't wait to do it all over again! Let's go!
2019 AF990

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
emcvay, very nice trip report and I did watched your videos with interest. It's a wonderful thing when one can go down memory lane and see the physical past. Barkerville will be a stop on our next journey up north. Make sure you sent a PM to koldad with your TCTR link so it can be archive with all the other TCTR. Also what can you tell me about Bella Coola?
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

emcvay
Explorer
Explorer

After one night at our 1st spot they moved us to another where the sewage would work since the one we were at was backed up. It was a nicer spot and the sun was still out ๐Ÿ˜„

Once the weather came though! It came! Nothing like BC rain to remind you of why there is so much green! ๐Ÿ˜‰

The kids had planned an outdoor reception and we promptly paid for an indoor one and got it all sorted for them ๐Ÿ˜‰ Yup we saved the day!

Thanks to prior planning we did not have to walk through the mud etc in our wedding garb as we'd booked one night in the nearby hotel for extra prep room etc and easy of traveling to the wedding etc on the big day. We did however spend a lot of time at the camper either under the awning or inside, during the week we were there...again, only one night was spent out of it actually.

On the last day we were happy to see this:

Not happy to leave, but gotta love it when Diesel is lower than gasoline! ๐Ÿ˜„ With exchange it wasn't much more than US Diesel pricing either.

I'll have to get some pics of the wedding etc for ya but that's a different camera/phone and I'm off again!

1300miles down, 1000 to go, a little dirty, lots of bugs but all is well and we're ready to head for warmer weather! ๐Ÿ˜„

and we found it at Lac La Hache Provincial Campground ๐Ÿ˜„ Love that place! Might have to get further off the road, and would like to put the boat in at the lake but for this trip it was a welcome stop on a long long day so we setup, poured adult beverages and BBQ'd some steaks ๐Ÿ˜„ Life is good!
2019 AF990