cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck and accessories for New Popup Camper

im5150too
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after far too long without a rig, I'm finally getting a new one. I've had class A's and C's, but always wanted something I could really get into the back country with. With most of the dealers quoting a year or more delivery, I stumbled into a small dealer that just got notice of a Palomino popup camper build ready in 6 weeks, so I bought it. It's not what I really wanted, and I know it's not the quality I'm used to, but it'll get me out there and satisfy my curiosity on the concept anyway. It's a 1608, which is made for 1/2 ton, 6.5' bed with the tailgate down. It has a toilet and shower, albeit a minuscule one with 15 gal tank, but my intent is to use it for 1-2 nights at a time, and stay in hotels and B&B's the rest of the time, while traveling the country. I chose the popup for off road use, and the ability to pull into my garage, parking garages, etc.

So cart before the horse, I'm now looking at a new truck for it. The camper weighs just under 1800 lbs, and an F150 Supercab 4X4 with a V8, has at least some margin for the payload, (2240 lbs), since I'm a light packer, and I'm wanting the shorter wheelbase vs the Supercrew. Not knowing much about tiedowns and such, I've been given the advice to get Torklift tiedowns, and Timbrens or airbags. Unfortunately, beggars also can't be choosers when it comes to the truck, but I'm hoping to find one that only has the options I can use, and not stuff like the 360 cameras, Pro Power, since I doubt it's accessible with the camper on, etc. Not sure which of their tire options I should be looking at, though I may do a swapout for something even better when I buy it, if that seems to be a good idea. Any other ideas about options I need or ones I'll regret?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

20 REPLIES 20

darkmind25
Explorer
Explorer
im5150too wrote:
Yeah, I'm already shopping for an F250, unfortunately, they have a longer wheelbase and are even harder to come by these days.

Thanks for the replies!

What year are you planning to buy?

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that there are more 1/2T trucks on the road then 3/4+1T trucks combined representing a HUGE market that a few manufacturers attempt to tap into with products.

Then consider that RV salespeople quite often failed as (used) car salespeople and programmed in their DNA is to say ANYTHING to make the sale. They usually know very little (if anything) about what they are selling or how to use it.

- Mark0.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
im5150too wrote:
Near as I can tell, the VAST majority of folks buying the lightweight and popup campers sold specifically for 1/2 ton trucks, are likely overloading them according to the specs. My dealer continues to say I would be fine with the F150 V8 with it's 2240 lb payload, and he sells many to Tundra and other truck owners with lesser payloads, which is most of them.

I tend to err way on the side of caution, but it is curious that the manufacturers and dealers aren't being sued out of existence, if it was a huge problem. I'll buy an 3/4 ton if I have to, but I'm going to at least study beefing up an F150 instead, since I'm not that far out of the ballpark, if any.

For me, I would not take the opinion of an RV dealer. Many have never even driven a truck, let alone ever having hauled or towed anything. Find someone you can trust to give you recommendations. Look at it this way, would you trust a simple "no problem, I sell them like that all time" or Grit Dog's detailed explanation? One is just pushing a product, the other is providing you with the knowledge to make a good decision.

I don't always agree with Grit Dog, but I respect him. I can't say the same for an RV salesman.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
im5150too wrote:
According to Ford, the F250's I'm looking at have a payload between 3450 and 3550, which should give me that margin I was looking for.

That's a much better number. You will want to watch the indivual axle ratings.

Not a chance youโ€™ll overload any full floater axle with a camper like the OP is considering unless one literally fills it full of rocks

Thanks for that info.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Geewizard wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
I've been carrying my Outfitter Apex 8 for years on a Tundra. The last time I weighed it (full up weight), it was at 2200 lbs. I've never had any issues. I do have load range E 10 ply tires and Air Lift air bags but nothing else.

I can only relate my experience with Toyota Tundra trucks of which I am a firm believer. They are NOT 1/2 ton trucks.

It looks like the Tundra double cab has a payload of about 1450lbs. That doesn't sound like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

Ok, how about a 0.725 ton? I've seen payload of about 1600lbs depending on model. That's 0.8 ton.

All I'm saying is that it works, works well, and I have never felt unsafe. Of course, what you do is up to you.

My point was more that a tundra with a 1450lb payload doesn't really compare to an F150 with a 2200lb payload. 600lbs is a lot of additional cargo.

I get that you have no problems with your setup. Everyone has different ideas on how close to the numbers you should stay or if you can go over. My opinion is that if someone is asking, then they don't have the background/knowledge to disregard the numbers. What is a comfortable drive for Person A is a white knuckle drive for Person B. Until you have experience, you really don't know where you fit in that range - so it's better to stay within the numbers.

im5150too
Explorer
Explorer
Near as I can tell, the VAST majority of folks buying the lightweight and popup campers sold specifically for 1/2 ton trucks, are likely overloading them according to the specs. My dealer continues to say I would be fine with the F150 V8 with it's 2240 lb payload, and he sells many to Tundra and other truck owners with lesser payloads, which is most of them.

I tend to err way on the side of caution, but it is curious that the manufacturers and dealers aren't being sued out of existence, if it was a huge problem. I'll buy an 3/4 ton if I have to, but I'm going to at least study beefing up an F150 instead, since I'm not that far out of the ballpark, if any.

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
You need to use the GVWR of the camper to pick a truck - and make sure you leave enough payload for tiedowns and anything else you add to the truck.

Do campers even have GVWRs?

Sorry. My next post clarified that they do not. That makes it more difficult to guess at your loaded weight.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
I've been carrying my Outfitter Apex 8 for years on a Tundra. The last time I weighed it (full up weight), it was at 2200 lbs. I've never had any issues. I do have load range E 10 ply tires and Air Lift air bags but nothing else.

I can only relate my experience with Toyota Tundra trucks of which I am a firm believer. They are NOT 1/2 ton trucks.

It looks like the Tundra double cab has a payload of about 1450lbs. That doesn't sound like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

Ok, how about a 0.725 ton? I've seen payload of about 1600lbs depending on model. That's 0.8 ton.

All I'm saying is that it works, works well, and I have never felt unsafe. Of course, what you do is up to you.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Geewizard wrote:

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
toedtoes wrote:
You need to use the GVWR of the camper to pick a truck - and make sure you leave enough payload for tiedowns and anything else you add to the truck.

Do campers even have GVWRs?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
toedtoes wrote:
im5150too wrote:
According to Ford, the F250's I'm looking at have a payload between 3450 and 3550, which should give me that margin I was looking for.

Not a chance youโ€™ll overload any full floater axle with a camper like the OP is considering unless one literally fills it full of rocks
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
toedtoes wrote:
The DRY weight of the camper is 1795lbs. That doesn't include battery (40lbs), full water tank (125lbs), or any optional equipment it may have. That is not a margin for payload.

In addition, you have to include the weight of the tiedowns, etc. into that payload. You'll be overweight before you get out the door.

Edit on the gvwr thing.
Real world experience vs rvnet internet speculator expertsโ€ฆ
4klb + camper is about the max a srw 3/4 or 1 ton wants. (Same truck basically)
Op your camper on a 1/2 ton will be the same scenario Basically maxxed out. Doable but any HD truck would haul it with ease.

Big difference is the 1/2 ton will also be maxxed out on rear axle capacity where all HD trucks will have around 3 tons of rear axle payload capacity regardless of what the stated axle ratings or payload is and the OE tires/wheels will be the weak link vs the axle itself on a half ton.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
im5150too wrote: