cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck camper Clear Coat, can this be restored?

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

As I prepare to start using my new to me camper I'm curious about the exterior clear coat? It's a 2002 Arctic Fox 990. It looks like it has dulled in areas and is really dirty. I've buffed cars before with various abrasive compounds to effectively restore luster. Is this possible for the camper? I would probably just start with a foam pad and some mechanical wax, and then maybe cut deeper with a fine-grit compound if that didn't work. Can't see myself getting into the wool pad, seems like they maybe coated these thin, not like vehicles which seem to be more forgiving. The decals on this are all faded and withered as well so I'll remove those and try and create a level of uniformity with its finish.

Insight is appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
northshore wrote:
I am doing the same thing with my new to me 2002 Lance 1130, Its pretty dull and faded. I got one side just about done, but its really something I do not like doing any more.
When I was younger I could hang on to a polisher for a lot longer time than I can these days.
It is coming along slow but sure, eventually I will get the whole thing polished up.

I know what you mean, once I performed a 4-stage cut and buff on my girlfriends car for her birthday, and it took 12 hours. Loved every bit of it, lol. I come from combat sports, so my shoulders and back definitely feel it the next day. It's funny how that polisher only weighs 5-7lbs, but man that's a lot of surface area to cover.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does Northwood use fiberglas or the textured plastic? I thought it was thr plastic stuff. If so you will nwver get a high shine.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I am doing the same thing with my new to me 2002 Lance 1130, Its pretty dull and faded. I got one side just about done, but its really something I do not like doing any more.
When I was younger I could hang on to a polisher for a lot longer time than I can these days.
It is coming along slow but sure, eventually I will get the whole thing polished up.