cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper COG

CrowsnestGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1995 Security 10C Timberline truck camper and cannot seem to find a listing for the COG on this unit. The company is out of business I believe, so how can I find this information? Thanks
2013 F-150 Ecoboost SuperCrew Max Tow
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD
1995 Security C10 Timberline TC
Kipor IG2000p
The Wife, Myself, a fly rod and the Rocky Mountains....life is great B-)
20 REPLIES 20

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are some good vids on You-Tube of people playing submarine with their pickup trucks at boat launching ramps....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

CrowsnestGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Not to demean the Stable Lift system but, that would last all of 2 minutes on my rig where I usually camp. I've been tempted a couple times to completely remove the camper jacks. As it is, I'l always leaning out the window to make sure I don't snag anything.

Another reason I run the HJ system. Nothing sticking out or hanging down to catch a wayward log or rock.

I am a fisherman so reason I want the lift is to remove camper when I launch my 16 ft Starcraft at a lake. My truck is only a 2wd so only partial back country for me. I have the old hydraulic jacks on this camper and original jacks. Scares the **** out of me when I have to take it off, and the stable lift will make life easier.
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD
Kipor IG2000p

CrowsnestGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
idaho_camper wrote:
Don't mean to hijack the conversation, but...

My AF 811 has COG marked with an arrow on the driver's side indicating it's *horizontal* location. I've always been curious, though, where the COG is located vertically on the unit.

Not a hijack at all actually. The vertical COG will vary with camper design and placement of heavier appliances and or storage of heavier items.

Why I have a pop up. The Cg is lower because the vertical weight is less and my appliance are all set down low.

That keeps the camper more stable on the road in heavy cross winds and off road in off camber situations.

A hardsie with high mount appliances will have a high vertical Cg and will be more impacted in the above situations...

All my appliances, bathroom, closets are before the rear axle. Only thing I don't see is the holding tanks as there in the basement that I have not accessed. And I have a large overhang up front, but it's on a crew cab, long box Chevy truck. I know my COG on the truck is from rear axle to back side of rear fender opening, so I have lots of play there.
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD
Kipor IG2000p

CrowsnestGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I will have to take a closer look to see if there is anything marked on mine as to COG
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD
Kipor IG2000p

CrowsnestGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
CrowsnestGuy wrote:
The reason I am asking is because I want to purchase a Stable Lift for the camper and when I install it, I would like the Stable Lift to be in the proper position. ...
I installed a Stable Lift on my 11.5 Bigfoot (4000 lb), and ran it for about ten years. I had to remove it when I got my 3500 DRW.

When I installed it, it went through the drama of locating the COG. I eventually discovered it was not critical. What worked for me was to load my TC. Place the single jack on the driverside of the TC. Center the jack on the axle. Eyeball is fine, this is just for aesthetics. I was unnecessarly overly concerned with the install of the Stable Lift. I installed it myself with no help, and called Stable Lift two times. The only thing critical is the saddle adjustment. I can provide you with more info on my install if you are interested.

Well this helps me, and makes sense as well. Thanks
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD
Kipor IG2000p

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
idaho_camper wrote:

My AF 811 has COG marked with an arrow on the driver's side indicating it's *horizontal* location. I've always been curious, though, where the COG is located vertically on the unit.

Not a hijack at all actually. The vertical COG will vary with camper design and placement of heavier appliances and or storage of heavier items.

Why I have a pop up. The Cg is lower because the vertical weight is less and my appliance are all set down low.

That keeps the camper more stable on the road in heavy cross winds and off road in off camber situations.

A hardsie with high mount appliances will have a high vertical Cg and will be more impacted in the above situations...
2015 Backpack SS1500

idaho_camper
Explorer
Explorer

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not to demean the Stable Lift system but, that would last all of 2 minutes on my rig where I usually camp. I've been tempted a couple times to completely remove the camper jacks. As it is, I'l always leaning out the window to make sure I don't snag anything.

Another reason I run the HJ system. Nothing sticking out or hanging down to catch a wayward log or rock.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
CrowsnestGuy wrote:
The reason I am asking is because I want to purchase a Stable Lift for the camper and when I install it, I would like the Stable Lift to be in the proper position. ...
I installed a Stable Lift on my 11.5 Bigfoot (4000 lb), and ran it for about ten years. I had to remove it when I got my 3500 DRW.

When I installed it, it went through the drama of locating the COG. I eventually discovered it was not critical. What worked for me was to load my TC. Place the single jack on the driverside of the TC. Center the jack on the axle. Eyeball is fine, this is just for aesthetics. I was unnecessarly overly concerned with the install of the Stable Lift. I installed it myself with no help, and called Stable Lift two times. The only thing critical is the saddle adjustment. I can provide you with more info on my install if you are interested.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Rustofer
Explorer
Explorer
"3 When you loaded the TC, if the front and rear of the truck dropped the same amount, the COG was over the rear axle."

In theory, if the COG is over the rear axle, the front should not pick up any of the load. And both your trucks should have the same bed length to rear axle relationships. The longer wb truck will carry more of the load on the rear axle, but if your COG is 4" ahead of the rear axle in both cases, your front springs will always pick up some of the load. 60 lbs and 4" isn't much, so the variables of scale accuracy and cargo placement within the camper may be having more of an effect than anything else.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you don't have the original documentation, can't find the documentation anywhere online, and it's not marked on the camper itself, then you're out of luck.

You've only got a few inches of range in which to install the StableLift, and a few inches one way or the other isn't going to be a deal breaker. After all, there are people moving around the camper all the time, and the water shifts from front to rear as it is used.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I hesitate to post this but I think it is worth discussion.

I have two trucks. They are as follows:

1 One is a '96 Dodge 2500 Ext Cab DSL long bed

2 The second is a '04 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab DSL 4x4 DRW long bed

I have used each truck to carry the same 4000 lb TC and I have weighed each truck with and without the TC several times. The TC sits in the same position in the bed of either truck. I have placed the TC on a pipe and balanced it to locate the center of gravity, which is 4" in front of my rear axle.

I do understand the rear springs will have an impact on this, but I was always of the thought the following to be true:

1 When you loaded the TC, if the front of the truck dropped more than the rear, the COG was in front of the rear axle.

2 When you loaded the TC, if the rear of the truck dropped more than the front, the COG was behind the rear axle.

3 When you loaded the TC, if the front and rear of the truck dropped the same amount, the COG was over the rear axle.

This is true on my '96 Dodge Ext Cab, it drops in the front and about wtp lbs of weight is added to the front axle.

It is not true on my '04 Dodge Quad Cab DRW 4x4. The front axle is lighter by about 60 lbs.It appears the wheelbase has a major effect.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Center of Gravity is adjustable on every unit, adjustable by how you load your 'stuff'. By that, I mean the heavier items not clothes or books...

Heavier stuff forward moves the Cg forward and full tanks move it rearward. My FW, batteries and utilities are all forward and I carry my tools and items like chainsaw and winch on the floor of the truck in the backseat which moves the 'adjustable Cg forward as well.

I'm nowhere near or at my maximum axle loading so while it makes no difference for me, it 'may' help with handling. Never noticed any issues however. My truck always rides like a lumberwagon. Just part of it's 'charm' I guess.
2015 Backpack SS1500

CrowsnestGuy
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I am asking is because I want to purchase a Stable Lift for the camper and when I install it, I would like the Stable Lift to be in the proper position. My truck tells me the COG in glove box but was curious if campers list there COG somewhere as I don't have any original documents. Thanks for all the help
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD
Kipor IG2000p