cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper pricing

keyspirate
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at buying a new Host Mammoth. My question is what kind of discount off of MSRP is a good deal? Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like Apache RV.

We almost bought from them, best posted prices by far. Had a better quote from both Thunder RV and a place in Bend. Guaranty matched it and they were closest to us. Wish I would have given the place in Bend my business as they "lost the small cushion". We will order it. 7 calls, 4 to the manager got us nothing but empty promises. 2 calls to Northwood left us with a "it's a dealer issue, they need to make it right". Still don't have my cushion. Love my camper, like Northwood products...disappointed in the after sale service in both dealer and manufacturer. Lucky I've had no warranty issues.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Also, on the day you take delivery, be sure you are fully rested from your drive and alert. My wife and I made a cannonball run from So Cal up to Portland OR. and although we did rest a little, I was a little weary and didn't pay as close attention as I should have. They rushed us through the PDI. The tech was walking and talking us through so quickly, he mentioned that our camper had been used as a demo. It didn't register in my mind til we were long gone. That was on me. Should have known had I been a little more "with it". It made sense after leaving and upon closer inspection, why the bath door needed to be replaced while we were at the dealer. There was nice gouge in it. None of the cabinet hanging brochures were present. I found dirt in places there should be no dirt in a brand new camper. Small scratches and scuffs here and there. We both just got the general feeling the camper had been used. Lightly used, but still used. Another reason to order a custom built unit from the factory. You don't have to worry about anyone else's greasy paws touching it.

For what it's worth, We contacted every dealer in the west who carried our camper and the dealer in Portland was the best price by far. So even with him jacking with the price, I still came out ahead. Toms Campers was one of highest quotes we got. They wouldn't even budge.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak to the discount, but whatever you do and whomever you end up purchasing from, get EVERYTHING, and I mean everything in writing and nailed down. Don't not take another step before doing so.

My dealer would only give me the price of the camper through email. Everything else was verbal. BUT, because this dealer was so highly recommended, I figured, what the heck? The price of camper changed when it came time to do paperwork. About another $300. Plus, all the prices for the add-ons, like fast guns, locks, batteries, bed mat all suddenly were different than what I was quoted. I had to fight for those items, but I got them for the original quote. All in all, I paid a little more, got a little agravated and I'm (mostly) happy with the camper, but certainly would not buy from them again unless everything was done my way--which most-likely, they wouldn't agree to.

The funny thing is owner and I had a little chat over the phone about dishonest dealers around the country and he "seemed" like he was in agreement with me at that point. Then, a week later, I get there and he acts like he never heard from me. "I said that?". Yeah, dude. You did. After he made several excuses about not getting back with me, I knew I was dealing with a slick tongued rascal. Just saying... do your due diligence. Even then, you might still have a problem. Good Luck.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I have priced out a couple over the last 6 months. I always order from the factory online. Tom's camper sales has offered great prices. I would think between 20 and 30 percent off of MSRP would be the norm. If you order and have it built they don't have any money in it. You should get a better price then.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, what are you planning to haul it on??
And, If you do pull the trigger on this, I'm sure everyone here would be interested in some real world weights when Ya get it all set up.
Thanks! And good luck?
Dave S

rinkmom899
Explorer
Explorer
Old Days wrote:
Check out Toms Camperland in Mesa Arizona they seem to be the largest Truck Camper dealer in the country.

Tom's Camperland in Mesa made it worth our while to drive from the east coast to pick up our Host. The amount we saved over buying on the east coast more than paid for our entire 6 week trip. We ordered the options we wanted and waited until it was built to travel west. The only inconvenience was we had to take delivery out of state to save the Az. Sales tax. We drove an extra 2.5 hours to California.

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
On my Host Everest, I got a 21.18% factory discount off MSRP. which was $11,784.
I bought mine from the factory, not the dealer.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Toms Camperland in Mesa Arizona they seem to be the largest Truck Camper dealer in the country.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
It might depend on how far you are willing to travel. I drove north 1 state to Oregon and saved a lot. Dealer pricing is whatever they think will get your attention. If it's on a dealer lot, trying to delete options already installed in hopes of recovering/deducting the price won't yield much. Your best value would be to order with your wish list of options and travel to pick it up. You can do some solar and a small Honda/Yamaha generator for half the cost of the onboard Onan. I only negotiated on our camper from the manufacturer and settled on a price we thought was fair. Good luck!
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body