cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Registration Weight

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
So - I have a 2020 Ram 3500 that the dealer registered for 8900# when I bought it in March. I'm in NY state. No idea where they came up with that weight. With the camper loaded, I'm at 13,300#. I used the NYS DMV website to calculate the registration cost add if I were to register it for 13,300#, it's only about $40 / year more, so cost isn't an issue. What I'm concerned about:

- If I register it for 13,300#, are there any "Gotcha's" I need to worry about, like I need to have a different driver license or need to have have commercial numbers on the truck, or my insurance will be much higher, or anything else you can think of? Is there a magic weight number that jumps me into any additional "Gotcha's"?

Thanks,
Scott

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC
32 REPLIES 32

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
srschang wrote:
So - I have a 2020 Ram 3500 that the dealer registered for 8900# when I bought it in March. I'm in NY state. No idea where they came up with that weight.

That's the unladen or curb weight, which means you have commercial plates. The reg form also asks for a "max weight", so that number should also be on the reg. It's really academic because if you're not for hire then you are not required to stop at weight stations, and the state guys won't be looking to pull you over for a safety check unless you look obviously unsafe on the road. The only "gotcha" is you need a CDL for anything over 26k lbs.

I would just leave it alone, why are you thinking you need to re-register the truck?

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Can't help you there. In California all pickups are treated as Commercial Vehicles. But only a Class C is needed to operate unless you are towing over 10,001 with a bumper pull or 15,0001 pounds with a gooseneck or 5th wheel then you need a class A. I have my F350 dually registered at 15,000 which is over Truck + TC + plus tongue wt when towing. It is not cheap
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know about NY but here in VT it costs me about $100 more per year to register at 12,500 instead of my sticker GVWR of 11,500. Outside of that there hasn't been any issue and I can afford the $100 to stay under my actual weight on my registration. No license changes, no insurance issues, no special plate issues. But that is VT, NY may be different.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired