No TT yet...
33 REPLIES 33

JoeTee
Explorer
Explorer
fickman wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
Given your limited payload you need a smaller/lighter trailer. Good luck! :C

I agree. Your truck has posted weight ratings, I recommend you stay within them.

Remember, at the scales, the truck is stationary and everything is in balance. On the road you'll go over humps, hills, bumps, drips, and everything else. At times the hitch weight (and burden on your tires, axle, and frame) will be less. At times it could be higher.

If you're already over the posted weight ratings, you risk damage or catastrophe during these moments when the load is momentarily increased at a given point due to real world conditions. Nobody from here stating, "You should be fine" is likely to be there to help you deal with the fallout. (May it never come!)

Let us know what you decide. Many of us have been in your shoes and ended up with a different tow vehicle (or trailer) as a result.

I would venture to guess that the truck/trailer is rated for capacity on level ground. It probably is designed for the variables you said such as humps, hills, etc.

I will say I've bent an axle and broke a sway bar end link another time twerking a 3/4 ton truck off road, not even past the capacity.

JoeTee
Explorer
Explorer
I would ask to run it across the scale with a WDH before buying it just to check for piece of mind. It would be a major headache having to sell it or the truck if somehow it was way over capacity in some way.

From what it looks like it is probably within capacity. Your tires *should have some extra capacity over what your truck is rated for as well.

I would not sweat it.

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the 22 inch wheels, your payload for oem tires is about 2400 a tire.

So, you should be fine.

Specs

You're right, you would be hard pressed to find an LT tire for 22 inch rims.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

bimbert84
Explorer
Explorer
I wrote:

For proper balancing, you need 12-15% of the trailer's total weight on the tongue. So assuming the trailer will weigh 6500# when loaded, you'll have 780-975# of tongue weight. Let's call it 900#. Figure another 100# for the hitch itself. That leaves you with about #150 for people and gear.

This is less than ideal. If you have only one passenger, you might be OK, but move everything you can out of the truck and into the trailer.

The above numbers assume proper weight distribution. It's not just about getting all the weight you can off the truck, it's about proper load balancing. If the (weight-distributed) tongue weight is too light, the trailer will sway.

If you were to put 3000# in the rear-end of the trailer it would greatly reduce tongue weight. But I sure wouldn't want to be anywhere nearby when you tow it down the road.

-- Rob
2013 F-150 SCREW 4x4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73, 7650# GVWR, 1826# payload
2004 Springdale 295BHL, 31'5", 7300# loaded
Hensley hitch

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like a good match to me.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

AndrewM
Explorer
Explorer
How does this one sound?

R-Vision Crossover 210RB
Overall Length 24'-4"
Overall Height (A/C Included) 10'-3"
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 6,160
Dry Hitch Weight 345
Dry Axle Weight 3,735
Net Carrying Capacity 2,080

I plan on leaving my anvil collection at home, so I don't see how I could load 2,000# worth of stuff.

2011 F-150 Harley Davidson AWD
No TT yet...

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
1148# max payload - 500# passengers & cargo = 648# payload left for TT tongue weight.
648 / .13(13% tongue weight) = 4984 # max loaded trailer weight.
I would stay under 5000# with your payload capacity.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

AndrewM
Explorer
Explorer
What would you guys recommend as a max trailer weight (GVWR) for my truck?

No TT yet...

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Given your limited payload you need a smaller/lighter trailer. Good luck! :C

I agree. Your truck has posted weight ratings, I recommend you stay within them.

Remember, at the scales, the truck is stationary and everything is in balance. On the road you'll go over humps, hills, bumps, drips, and everything else. At times the hitch weight (and burden on your tires, axle, and frame) will be less. At times it could be higher.

If you're already over the posted weight ratings, you risk damage or catastrophe during these moments when the load is momentarily increased at a given point due to real world conditions. Nobody from here stating, "You should be fine" is likely to be there to help you deal with the fallout. (May it never come!)

Let us know what you decide. Many of us have been in your shoes and ended up with a different tow vehicle (or trailer) as a result.
DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper

AndrewM
Explorer
Explorer
So the weight distributed back to the trailer axle shouldn't be counted against that axle rating either?

No TT yet...

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
AndrewM wrote:
Terry, let me make sure I understand GVWR correctly. GVWR is maximum total weight of vehicle, cargo, people, fuel, and other fluids together. Correct? So if I take my truck to the scale, I'll get a weight of each axle. As long as those axle weights do not exceed their ratings and the combined weights don't exceed the GVWR, I'm ok.

If I weight the truck with the WDH disconnected, I'll see a very large increase in rear axle weight, and a decrease in front axle weight. With the WDH connected, a much lower weight will be added to the rear axle and weight will now be added to the front axle as well. The combined axle weights with the WDH connected will be less that with the hitch disconnected. That difference is what gets distributed to the trailer. Why should that weight still be factored into the GVW calculation? It is not on the truck anymore.

It's still on the hitch. Is it not? Isn't that why there is a WDH max hitch capacity?

The hitch is carrying / handling / moving all the weight, and the hitch is installed in the receiver. I agree some weight is transferred. But 600 lbs of tongue weight is 600 lb of tongue weight, and it is all on the hitch / receiver, In one way or another.

I may be wrong. But I'm pretty sure. The tongue weight still has to be counted on the TV. As the hitch / receiver, transforms the frame of the TV in to the lever that transfers the weight. Ain't that right? After all. IF the frame is too weak. No weight will be transferred. It will just bend. Just as several years ago, GM receivers were too weak to properly transfer weight. they bent instead.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

AndrewM
Explorer
Explorer
Terry, let me make sure I understand GVWR correctly. GVWR is maximum total weight of vehicle, cargo, people, fuel, and other fluids together. Correct? So if I take my truck to the scale, I'll get a weight of each axle. As long as those axle weights do not exceed their ratings and the combined weights don't exceed the GVWR, I'm ok.

If I weight the truck with the WDH disconnected, I'll see a very large increase in rear axle weight, and a decrease in front axle weight. With the WDH connected, a much lower weight will be added to the rear axle and weight will now be added to the front axle as well. The combined axle weights with the WDH connected will be less that with the hitch disconnected. That difference is what gets distributed to the trailer. Why should that weight still be factored into the GVW calculation? It is not on the truck anymore.

No TT yet...

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
" There are things you can do to help out with payload like air bags or super springs but I would be cautious. "

Adding air bags or super springs sill not change your payload one ounce. Given your limited payload you need a smaller/lighter trailer. Good luck! :C

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
rightyouareken wrote:
AndrewM wrote:
What percentage of the tongue weight does a properly adjusted WDH put back onto the trailer axles?

I believe in my case it was about 20%. I don't have my figures handy, but that is in the ballpark. It is probably more or less offset by the weight of the hitch itself though.

I'm sure someone else will correct me. But. I believe you have to count ALL the tongue weight on the truck. You don't get to subtract the weight you transferred to the TT from the total tongue weight placed on the truck. ALL the tongue weight is still carried / handeled by the hitch, and the hitch is still on the truck.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers