cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT recommendations for a mom and daughter team

ItsJustUs
Explorer
Explorer
A single friend with a pre-teen daughter is interested in camping. What would be the easiest camping set-up for them (pop-up? small TT?)? The mom isn't technically-minded, so something easy to tow would be preferable. Or maybe a small Class B? Or? She doesn't think she'd like to do tent camping. I have no idea how to advise her.

Thanks for your help!
19 REPLIES 19

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest least expensive is a teardrop. I know of one mother daughter team that are building theirs. Check out the Teardrop & Tiny Travel Trailer forum.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I think the easiest is a Class C but they are very expensive. Next might be a Class B but they don't have the amenities of the C.
I really like the idea of renting first to see if 5 mpg is a problem.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago we once camped next to 3 women of 3 generations, daughter, mother, and grandmother. They appeared to know what they were doing so I thought they were 'seasoned' campers. Later on in the early evening of the first night the mother was getting water from the spigot in between our sites. She said to me, "we've never done this before, and if it rains, we're never doing this again". It poured that night. So hard there was a small river going through our campsite. We didn't sleep much and were up by 5 am. The ladies in the next site? They were long gone before we got up.

The moral of the story is to borrow or rent first. If you like it, borrow or rent a second time. Then if you still like it, start looking at all your options because by now you're hooked and you'll start to form ideas on how you want to camp.

The other caution is that unless the preteen daughter has a real interest, most pre-teen and teenage kids we've known over the years tend to hate camping unless they were exposed to it at a young age.

The trouble with any of us make a recommendation is that we have no idea how they might want to camp or what kind of vehicle they have, or are willing to buy. My first thought is a tear drop trailer, or perhaps an R-Pod if they aren't used to tents. If a PUP is a real consideration, then borrowing a tent would be my first inclination, renting a PUP second.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I would advise her to rent different RVs to see what would work best for her.

This would also save them from discovering RVing isn't for them and have to get rid of an RV.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
My first thought is an Aliner type of trailer instead of a class B because you're not adding another engine and transmission.

But probably the first question back to your friend is if she goes with a towable, what vehicle would she be using to pull it?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup