Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT selection for Highlander SUV

bobvila
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All!

I'm totally a newbie to Travel Trailers (except towing a small pop-trailer of 1500lb 15 years ago). Me and my wife are looking next year for a light weight travel trailers for 2, under 4700lb and about 24'.

I’m aiming for a Kodiak 200QB GVWR 5400lb(UVW= 4100lb + 2 batteries 140lb + propane 2 x 20lb + 100lb WDS) or a Premier 19FBPR GVWR 6500lb (UVW = 4200lb + 2 batteries 140lb + propane 2 x 20lb + 100lb WDS). I don’t expect to carry water.

Can you tell me if a 5000lb TV such as Toyota Highlander would be ok to tow above TT, considerately they fall under 5000lb? Both of them or only the Kodiac which is the lightest or none of them....?

Would we need to get a bigger SUV such as Chevy Traverse (5200lb towing capacity) or Dodge Durango (6200lb towing capacity) to tow above TT?

If I decide to stick to the Toyota Highlander, what would be maximum weight of the RV considering XXXX lb would be the UVW weight? (XXXXlb + 2 batteries 140lb + 2 x 20lb + 100lb WDS.

Any thoughts or comments will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel 2015
Kodiak 200QB 2016
28 REPLIES 28

mikeinaz
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how you are calculating the math w/ 300lbs, as you mentioned its 800lbs on average we carry. It includes 4 bikes, clothes for 3 days(we don't stay out a long time), fridge full of food, cooler full of ice and drinks, several chairs, generator and all the other fun stuff we all carry in our kitchens and storage areas. I think 800-1000 lbs is about what most people haul. We have an SUV so its just the family and dog in there, everything else is in the TT.

jtludwig
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
In my opinion you should never tow anything over 3000# with a vehicle that has a unibody. A full frame SUV or truck makes a far better platform. Much stronger attachment points for suspension, hitch and drivetrain.

Have seen extreme cases where unibody vehicles would no longer close rear doors. Made for transporting passengers, not working like a truck.

Do you have any facts to back up your "opinion"? Probably not.

bmj11
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
In my opinion you should never tow anything over 3000# with a vehicle that has a unibody. A full frame SUV or truck makes a far better platform. Much stronger attachment points for suspension, hitch and drivetrain.

Have seen extreme cases where unibody vehicles would no longer close rear doors. Made for transporting passengers, not working like a truck.

I think that extreme. Many Unibody are very capable of tracking many small TT.

bmj11
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry bobvilla
I tow My lance with a Ford Explorer 2013 , 5000 lbs capacity

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
mikeinaz wrote:
My current TT is a StarCraft 26BHS, loaded up it weighs in at 6000lbs.Dry weight is 5200lbs. The HTT we had was a 23' and weighed in at 5200lbs loaded up. 4500 dry. Again the Durango pulls both fine, I just need to work on getting a hint of sway out of the new one and it may be that the WDH was not adjusted correctly by the dealer when I bought the new one. The short wheelbase of the Durango does not help but we camp 10 times a year so for us, having a vehicle we really enjoy driving and that gets good gas mileage for our other 98% of life is a tradeoff we are ok with.

I have the R/T model and it has the blacktop package so everything is blacked out, grill, wheels and paint and I get more looks and comments on it than I do my Corvette! Again the new ones have the 8 speed transmission so that is also a plus. You could also look at getting one a year or two old to save some money(stay away from the 2011 models) but I think the hemi engine would serve you well for towing. They do have cylinder deactivation so once you get off the gas pedal (not applicable when towing)the eco light comes on and it cuts off 4 cylinders. I also have the awd so my mileage is a tad worse than say a 2wd. I get 22mpg on regular freeway driving and about 14 around town. Towing, everyone gets about 9mpg (gas) regardless of TV or engine. Hope this helps.

2 trailers averaging 800lbs of cargo. Who camps with 300lbs and packs zero gear in a truck?
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

mikeinaz
Explorer
Explorer
Current TT is a 2015, sorry.

mikeinaz
Explorer
Explorer
My current TT is a StarCraft 26BHS, loaded up it weighs in at 6000lbs.Dry weight is 5200lbs. The HTT we had was a 23' and weighed in at 5200lbs loaded up. 4500 dry. Again the Durango pulls both fine, I just need to work on getting a hint of sway out of the new one and it may be that the WDH was not adjusted correctly by the dealer when I bought the new one. The short wheelbase of the Durango does not help but we camp 10 times a year so for us, having a vehicle we really enjoy driving and that gets good gas mileage for our other 98% of life is a tradeoff we are ok with.

I have the R/T model and it has the blacktop package so everything is blacked out, grill, wheels and paint and I get more looks and comments on it than I do my Corvette! Again the new ones have the 8 speed transmission so that is also a plus. You could also look at getting one a year or two old to save some money(stay away from the 2011 models) but I think the hemi engine would serve you well for towing. They do have cylinder deactivation so once you get off the gas pedal (not applicable when towing)the eco light comes on and it cuts off 4 cylinders. I also have the awd so my mileage is a tad worse than say a 2wd. I get 22mpg on regular freeway driving and about 14 around town. Towing, everyone gets about 9mpg (gas) regardless of TV or engine. Hope this helps.

bobvila
Explorer
Explorer
mikeinaz wrote:
I towed a 4800# trailer around w/ a Dodge Durango and it towed great. Mine is a 13 so it does not have the 8 speed trans, just the 6 but it does have the hemi and pulled that TT up hills fine. I recently went to a little larger and heavier TT and although the Durango pulls it fine, the short wheelbase does allow a bit of sway, I didn't have it on the shorter and lighter TT.

I LOVE our Durango and have had two friends w/ Highlanders actually buy a Durango after driving ours. Toyota's are great vehicle's just boring. The newer Durangos are a perfect size SUV and very reliable unlike the old ones. For us, we like it on a daily basis and although a truck would be better for towing, its a compromise for now I am willing to make. Check out the Durangos, the payload is 1200 lbs which would keep you well under your limits with hitch weight. Not sure how well that 6 cylinder will pull, as others mentioned you are not pulling a flatbed trailer and will have a lot of wind resistance to overcome, having the extra hp and torque will make pulling easier.Do get a WDH w/ sway control as well. Best of luck.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your comments! Can you tell me what TT and year you own?
Kodiak 200QB 2016

mikeinaz
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 4800# trailer around w/ a Dodge Durango and it towed great. Mine is a 13 so it does not have the 8 speed trans, just the 6 but it does have the hemi and pulled that TT up hills fine. I recently went to a little larger and heavier TT and although the Durango pulls it fine, the short wheelbase does allow a bit of sway, I didn't have it on the shorter and lighter TT.

I LOVE our Durango and have had two friends w/ Highlanders actually buy a Durango after driving ours. Toyota's are great vehicle's just boring. The newer Durangos are a perfect size SUV and very reliable unlike the old ones. For us, we like it on a daily basis and although a truck would be better for towing, its a compromise for now I am willing to make. Check out the Durangos, the payload is 1200 lbs which would keep you well under your limits with hitch weight. Not sure how well that 6 cylinder will pull, as others mentioned you are not pulling a flatbed trailer and will have a lot of wind resistance to overcome, having the extra hp and torque will make pulling easier.Do get a WDH w/ sway control as well. Best of luck.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Nice pictures. I zoomed in on the payload: 414lbs??
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

bobvila
Explorer
Explorer
bmj11 wrote:
bobvila wrote:

Hello from Vimont! Can you recall what kind of TV were pulling Lance 1985? Thanks

Yes , one was using a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the other one an Acura MDX
Booth seem happy.
I am from Duvernay , not really far from you. You can see my baby here
My Lance 1575

Nice Pictures!! Can you tell what is your TV? Thanks!!!
Kodiak 200QB 2016

bmj11
Explorer
Explorer
bobvila wrote:

Hello from Vimont! Can you recall what kind of TV were pulling Lance 1985? Thanks

Yes , one was using a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the other one an Acura MDX
Booth seem happy.
I am from Duvernay , not really far from you. You can see my baby here
My Lance 1575

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Your Highlander would do very well with one of these:
Escape Trailers,in B.C. - 21' model
:h
The trailers he's looking at have quite a bit more space than the Escape 21, and for a lot less per-square-foot money. That may be a consideration in addition to his weight limits.

I've known others with similar parameters... 😉

But if much smaller trailers are under consideration, I'd suggest that he can in theory also tow a Casita, Scamp, Camplite, R-Pod...the list goes on!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien