cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat tire!!

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
On my way back from New Orleans I had a flat tire on the T.T. I was not able to take the lugs off ,so I call for service. They sent someone, he took the flat tire off and replaced it with the spare. He used a battery drill with an 1/2 inch socket on it. Well we kept going back to Chicago when I arrived I decided to put the original tire back after fixing it of course. To my surprise the lug nuts where loose, here I was thinking that this drill torqued the lugs to specs and that everything was ok. This tire could of came off at any time. What kind of service people are this?:M
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab
23 REPLIES 23

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
kennyd63 wrote:
FastEagle wrote:
You should not reuse the tire that went flat. I wouldn't even trust it as a spare.

FastEagle
Fast Eagle, so what are you suggesting is to buy a new tire?
Please advise.
Thank you, Kennedy

The damage done to a tire that "went flat" will be found on the inside of the tire. Before making it a spare it should be removed from the rim and inspected by someone with experience in damaged tire inspections.

If the tire was found flat while in highway use it should be scrapped. Even though not visible inside or outside, the tire most likely has internal damages that will drastically shorten its usability.

FastEagle

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
FastEagle wrote:
You should not reuse the tire that went flat. I wouldn't even trust it as a spare.

FastEagle
Fast Eagle, so what are you suggesting is to buy a new tire?
Please advise.
Thank you, Kennedy
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
wmoses it was the road assistant company...
kennyd63 wrote:
On my way back from New Orleans I had a flat tire on the T.T. I was not able to take the lugs off ,so I call for service. They sent someone, he took the flat tire off and replaced it with the spare. He used a battery drill with an 1/2 inch socket on it. ... To my surprise the lug nuts where loose, here I was thinking that this drill torqued the lugs to specs and that everything was ok. This tire could of came off at any time. What kind of service people are this?:M

Who is this "they" who sent someone?

A drill with a socket will troque the nut to some unknown torque which, in your case, was clearly insufficient. In other words this is a lesson learned - battery operated drill should not be used anywhere hnear a wheel. Even an electric drill. Maybe one of those compressed air drivers with torque sticks in a pinch, but I don't like them. I prefer a torque wrench or tighten by hand.
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Use proper torque wrench technique, meaning the nut has to turn to be properly torqued so watch a video and buy a good wrench. Someones life may depend on it.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a reason for the sticker above the tires. the one that says. Tighten Lugs after 50 miles of towing.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
E&J push'n wind wrote:
I'm a believer in re-checking the torque on your lug nuts on both TV and TT. We went on a trip up to WA from So Cal, I had just recently put new tires and wheels on our TT. I remember reading right here on the forum that lug nuts should be checked regularly so I thought lets see whats it's all about. Man am I glad I did. I took a torque wrench with us and at the first fill up I checked the lugs on the TT and it could have been a disaster if I hadn't. After that I thought, lets take a look at the lugs on the TV. Yep, they needed re-torquing as well. After that I checked every fill up and sure enough while they weren't as loose as the first fill up. I was able to tighten them up a bit pretty much every time. They didn't start to "keep" until the trip home where as I checked them they were "less loose." I keep a torque wrench on the TT now. I will continue to check at each fill up. It only takes a few minutes. Very cheap insurance and it'll prevent ruining a trip. One mans thoughts FWIW.

I do the same thing and it only takes a minute to check the lugs. I carry an inexpensive Stanley 1/2" drive torque wrench in the TT just for this purpose. I have aluminum rims and while they have never really loosened up, I have been able to move the lugs very slightly from time to time.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
When I had to change a flat on my F-150, the owners guide said to torque to 125 ft./ lbs. :E

I did and the lugs did not loosen but boy, 125 ft./lbs. is hard on an old geezer like me. :W
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a believer in re-checking the torque on your lug nuts on both TV and TT. We went on a trip up to WA from So Cal, I had just recently put new tires and wheels on our TT. I remember reading right here on the forum that lug nuts should be checked regularly so I thought lets see whats it's all about. Man am I glad I did. I took a torque wrench with us and at the first fill up I checked the lugs on the TT and it could have been a disaster if I hadn't. After that I thought, lets take a look at the lugs on the TV. Yep, they needed re-torquing as well. After that I checked every fill up and sure enough while they weren't as loose as the first fill up. I was able to tighten them up a bit pretty much every time. They didn't start to "keep" until the trip home where as I checked them they were "less loose." I keep a torque wrench on the TT now. I will continue to check at each fill up. It only takes a few minutes. Very cheap insurance and it'll prevent ruining a trip. One mans thoughts FWIW.
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

fatboy66
Explorer
Explorer
kennyd63 wrote:
On my way back from New Orleans I had a flat tire on the T.T. I was not able to take the lugs off ,so I call for service. They sent someone, he took the flat tire off and replaced it with the spare. He used a battery drill with an 1/2 inch socket on it. Well we kept going back to Chicago when I arrived I decided to put the original tire back after fixing it of course. To my surprise the lug nuts where loose, here I was thinking that this drill torqued the lugs to specs and that everything was ok. This tire could of came off at any time. What kind of service people are this?:M

Battery drill/torque wrench?? No way. Sorry, but this one is on you for not double checking.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
I am sure it was a battery powered impact wrench and not a drill. I have two and they are very powerful. When the battery is fully charged they will twist off a lug. Still, a torque wrench should have been used for the final tightening.

X2, my Milwaukee 18v impact driver will do about 425 ft lbs and easily break a stud off. I use it to remove and lightly spin the lugs on and then set to spec with a torque wrench. With these powered drivers, air included, you arrive at an unknown torque setting and they can easily be overtightened, which is not good either. Carry a 1/2" torque wrench so you can check them yourself.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Personal experience.

I changed a flat on the TT and torqued the lugs to 50 lbs. then 90 lbs. per the manual. Drove another 125 miles to camp site and next morning I had to re-torque 4 of the five lugs; again per the manual.

The lugs were not “loose” per se but they did need to be tweaked back to 90 lbs. They stayed tight the remainder of the trip.

I assume the wheel had to settle in so to speak.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer

FastEagle

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I wouldn't trust a drill or impact gun to do the job properly. Electric drills or impact guns might do a fine job of loosening and spinning on the nut, but more than likely lacks the power needed to torque the nuts to spec. A pneumatic gun will torque it to spec, but will probably exceed the proper amount. Spin the nuts on with a lug wrench (takes like a minute) and torque it in a crossing pattern with a torque wrench. I normally recheck after 30 miles or so. If you see anyone about to mount your wheel with anything else, swat it out of their hands lol.

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure it was a battery powered impact wrench and not a drill. I have two and they are very powerful. When the battery is fully charged they will twist off a lug. Still, a torque wrench should have been used for the final tightening.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".