cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tundra 5.7 Owners

esjay
Explorer
Explorer
What gas mileage are you getting towing and how much weight are you pulling?
40 REPLIES 40

esjay
Explorer
Explorer
Was the 4.7 the only iron block Toyota V8? I seem to remember that when the first gen Tundra came out, Toyota decided to give it an iron block engine for "perceived" durability by the typical pickup buyer. That's probably the reason it was replaced by the alum. 4.6 as now aluminum blocks are pretty much the rule.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
esjay wrote:
400,430,460 Lexus cars take a belt. It's not as expensive as some shops would like you to believe. A good mechanic can change one out in two hours. The timing belt makes for a very smooth, quiet engine. All of the Lexus cars have alum. block and heads.
You guys have me confused as to whether the 460 and 470 trucks take a belt or not.
I can't speak for the Lexus engines; however, the 2007-2009 Tundras with the 4.7 engine have the camshafts driven by a belt (similar to a typical serpentine belt). Toyota recomends they be replaced every x amount of miles. Toyota replaced the 4.7 engine with the 4.6 in 2010. The camshafts on the 2010-2013 4.6 Tundras are chain driven (internally lubricated by the same oil that lubricates the engine). Under normal operating conditions they will never need replacing.

W_E_BGood
Explorer
Explorer
The 4.6 L V-8 is an aluminum block derived from the Lexus enigines, but has a chain, not belt.

pickuptrucks.com

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Believe Tundras are now built in San Antonio, Texas now. While I am a Ford guy, I will be the first to say our friends's older 4.7 Tundra has been a wonderful, trouble free, tow vehicle.

Nothing done except oil, filter, and regularly scheduled maintenance. Believe they have close to 80K miles, most of which have been road miles towing their Casitas.

They put on a new set of Michelin tires a couple of years ago that made the ride and towing experience even better, they said.

esjay
Explorer
Explorer
400,430,460 Lexus cars take a belt. It's not as expensive as some shops would like you to believe. A good mechanic can change one out in two hours. The timing belt makes for a very smooth, quiet engine. All of the Lexus cars have alum. block and heads.
You guys have me confused as to whether the 460 and 470 trucks take a belt or not.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
skyhammer wrote:
esjay wrote:
spoon059:

Well, that shows what I know, or don't know. I'm very familiar with the 4.6 if it is the same one that Lexus uses. I was told wrong by Toyota salesmen about the towing package if this is true.
However, 2mpg difference almost makes this a nonissue, especially since the 4.6 requires timing belt replacements. It is one very smooth and refined engine though, so I may reconsider it. Toyota has one of the most confusing websites when it comes to building a vehicle. I'll probably buy a Tundra, then two weeks later discover that a diesel Tundra is on the way soon. Yes, I have read the rumors.

The 4.6 Toyota engine does not have a timing belt, it has a chain like the 5.7.

I think you're correct. The old 4.7 V8 used in the first generation Tundras used a belt. That motor was originally designed for the Lexus line of cars and used in the Tundra too. Very bulletproof motor but glad I did not have to replace the belt in my old 2000 Tundra which I heard was pricey!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
skyhammer wrote:
The 4.6 has an aluminum block, just like the5.7.
I've heard this before. I'll say this: my friend's 2010 Tundra 4.6 has brown-reddish rust all over his block (heads are aluminum). My 5.7 has that typical silver powdered corrosion on the block & heads.

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
While it is true that currently the CM limited is not available with the 4.6, it was available when the 4.6 first came out.
You could always get any model CM, DC,Reg Cab, with the 4.7.(07,08).
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
The 4.6 has an aluminum block, just like the5.7.

esjay
Explorer
Explorer
skyhammer wrote:
esjay wrote:
spoon059:

Well, that shows what I know, or don't know. I'm very familiar with the 4.6 if it is the same one that Lexus uses. I was told wrong by Toyota salesmen about the towing package if this is true.
However, 2mpg difference almost makes this a nonissue, especially since the 4.6 requires timing belt replacements. It is one very smooth and refined engine though, so I may reconsider it. Toyota has one of the most confusing websites when it comes to building a vehicle. I'll probably buy a Tundra, then two weeks later discover that a diesel Tundra is on the way soon. Yes, I have read the rumors.

\

4.6 is not available in the Crew Max Limited. We have to have power heated buckets, thus a Limited with the 5.7.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
skyhammer wrote:
esjay wrote:
spoon059:

The 4.6 is just a 5.7 with a shorter stroke. Toyota saved a lot of R&D money by just taking the 5.7 and shortening the stroke. Although the 4.6 uses a cast-iron block (vs. the 5.7's aluminum), I wouldn't surprised if 90% of the parts on both engines were interchangeable.

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
drhuggybear wrote:
I have a 2007 5.7L CrewMax pulling a 2013 Crossroads Z-1 (~4800lbs). I have about 200lbs of stuff in the back of the truck. This is a recent (August) acquisition with 4 trips in it so I don't have the best set of data with it but I will give my experience.

As others have said, speed, wind resistance and consistency are what makes or breaks you on mpg. I used to have a Rockwood popup that matched, height and width wise, almost perfectly with the bed of the truck. It was just like adding another 12-14 feet to the bed. Pulling that at 65-70 I could get about 12-13. Since getting the travel trailer I have had to change the driving habits :).

The worst I have seen is 7.8 and that was just about the worst possible conditions. Stop and start traffic, hills, into the wind, raining. Just bad.

Using S-mode, staying below 65 and staying out of passing gear helps the most. I don't have enough Tow Mode tests to know if that impacts all that much. Best I have seen so far has been 9.9. It dropped just below 10 about 30 minutes from home. On that trip I was keeping it right at 65. Now there were times to pass I had to go above 65 for short distances. If I were to lock onto 60 I could probably get 10-11 easy.

Basically its a tradeoff, you go slower and you get better gas mileage. My Tundra, she doesn't like slow ๐Ÿ˜‰

Tow mode does not work in "S" mode.
A quote form the shop manual.
" The conditions required for tow/haul control to operate are as follows:
- Shift position: D position (Tow/haul control does not operate in the S position)".

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
esjay wrote:
spoon059:

drhuggybear
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 5.7L CrewMax pulling a 2013 Crossroads Z-1 (~4800lbs). I have about 200lbs of stuff in the back of the truck. This is a recent (August) acquisition with 4 trips in it so I don't have the best set of data with it but I will give my experience.

As others have said, speed, wind resistance and consistency are what makes or breaks you on mpg. I used to have a Rockwood popup that matched, height and width wise, almost perfectly with the bed of the truck. It was just like adding another 12-14 feet to the bed. Pulling that at 65-70 I could get about 12-13. Since getting the travel trailer I have had to change the driving habits :).

The worst I have seen is 7.8 and that was just about the worst possible conditions. Stop and start traffic, hills, into the wind, raining. Just bad.

Using S-mode, staying below 65 and staying out of passing gear helps the most. I don't have enough Tow Mode tests to know if that impacts all that much. Best I have seen so far has been 9.9. It dropped just below 10 about 30 minutes from home. On that trip I was keeping it right at 65. Now there were times to pass I had to go above 65 for short distances. If I were to lock onto 60 I could probably get 10-11 easy.

Basically its a tradeoff, you go slower and you get better gas mileage. My Tundra, she doesn't like slow ๐Ÿ˜‰
Jeff, Leslie, Jillian and Layni (Lucy the mutt :))
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crewmax
2015 Wildwood 29QBDS