Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tundra or Ridgeline

esjay
Explorer
Explorer
Ridgeline or Tundra

I'm probably going to buy this week, but like an idiot I am gravitating back and forth between two totally different vehicles. I keep my vehicles a very long time, so it's a huge decision. Since I am 67 years old, this will probably be my last tow vehicle. Priorities: reliability, comfort, towing ability. I'm towing a 3,000 lb. travel trailer, but could conceivably move up later.

1. 2014 Ridgeline SE ($36k sales price) (5,000 lb. max. towing)
2. 2014 Toyota Tundra Model 1794 ($43k sales price)(10,000 lb. max. towing)

I am a hard-headed Honda and Toyota devotee, so other brands are out.

Ridgeline:

advantages: handling, maneuverability, ride, cost, fits my wife and my driveway

disadvantages: old school, last year of production, manually adj. passenger seat, less roomy, limited towing ability

Tundra:

advantages: first year of restyle, full-size spare
roomy, plush interior, power passenger seat, almost unlimited towing ability, RWD

disadvantages:
cost, maneuverability, slightly less mpg., takes up a lot of space
74 REPLIES 74

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wonder if the OP will come back and tell us what he bought and he likes towing with it

Racerchaser27
Explorer
Explorer
In one word.....Tundra. The Honda is more of a car with a big trunk than an actual truck imo. The Tundra is a nice truck. Know several people with them and if I were to switch back to a gasser from my Dodge diesel, it would be hands down to a Tundra.

catseye1
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:

I have to lay down the facts on this one. Honda is not anti-WDH, but their reasoning for not recommended its use is very odd. There are countless Ody, Pilot and Ridgeline owners using WDH, which obviously creates a safer tow for higher TW's.

But Honda doesn't trust you'll set up your WDH properly it appears. And I find it foolish to put this in the owners manual, and I like many others, ignore this.

exactly. THe facts may have to be laid down on the chassis as well. The Ridgeline shares 7% of the frame of a Pilot. It isn't the same, in fact, it's a LOT different. A simple google search will give you lots of info if you want it. Bottom line, it is a very good tow vehicle.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
no one has mentioned the fact that Honda does NOT recommend using a WDH with the Ridgeline.
any auto company that says that about their truck, doesn't consider it a real towing vehicle.

Honda is the only company i know, that does this, which goes against every other auto manufacturer recommendations.
IMHO, the Ridgeline is really only a good tow vehicle for low profile trailers or boats.
a full height TT will cause enough air resistance to tax that Ridgeline.

just so you know that i'm not a Ridgeline hater, we were going to buy a Ridgeline to tow our new HTT. but the more i read the specs, reviews, mpg ratings and Honda's anti-WDH policy, i realized that not even Honda sees it as a capable tow vehicle.
plus it cost as much as the Avalanche we bought instead. and the Avy got the same gas mileage, tows 2200lbs. more and has room for 6 adults.

so, my vote is for the Tundra!

I have to lay down the facts on this one. Honda is not anti-WDH, but their reasoning for not recommended its use is very odd. There are countless Ody, Pilot and Ridgeline owners using WDH, which obviously creates a safer tow for higher TW's.

But Honda doesn't trust you'll set up your WDH properly it appears. And I find it foolish to put this in the owners manual, and I like many others, ignore this.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Redsky wrote:
If it is the last truck you will buy and want the Toyota then go for it and don't look back. The Honda will have a smoother more car like ride but for me the high sides are a drawback to getting things into and out of the bed and could make adding a fiberglass cap a problem.

The Tundra though is grossly overpriced. A Chevy diesel 3/4 ton with 4-wheel drive and diesel can be bought for less than the Tundra price you mentioned. If you want the Toyota it is worth a some effort to find a dealer that really wants to make a deal. This is an ideal time to find a 2013 model year truck and get it for under dealer invoice.

Dealer invoice is what the dealer pays before getting all the volume discounts based on how many cars and trucks they sell during the period. If the dealer can get a 2013 out of their inventory with a straight forward no trade-in deal they will be happy to do so and it should be reflected in the amount that they are willing to accept.

With the last truck I bought a few years ago I had to drive past 6 truck dealers to get to the dealership with the best price. I saved more than enough to cover the effort in the sales tax difference alone.

The 3/4 ton diesel is far more truck than he needs. If he wants a gas truck-the Tundra will pull within it's specifications very well.

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Esjay: This has been an interesting thread. Hope you found exactly what you wanted.

Mike

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Redsky wrote:

With the last truck I bought a few years ago I had to drive past 6 truck dealers to get to the dealership with the best price. I saved more than enough to cover the effort in the sales tax difference alone.
LOL....In CA, that means you drove 6 blocks, as there is a dealer at every intersection....:B

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
If it is the last truck you will buy and want the Toyota then go for it and don't look back. The Honda will have a smoother more car like ride but for me the high sides are a drawback to getting things into and out of the bed and could make adding a fiberglass cap a problem.

The Tundra though is grossly overpriced. A Chevy diesel 3/4 ton with 4-wheel drive and diesel can be bought for less than the Tundra price you mentioned. If you want the Toyota it is worth a some effort to find a dealer that really wants to make a deal. This is an ideal time to find a 2013 model year truck and get it for under dealer invoice.

Dealer invoice is what the dealer pays before getting all the volume discounts based on how many cars and trucks they sell during the period. If the dealer can get a 2013 out of their inventory with a straight forward no trade-in deal they will be happy to do so and it should be reflected in the amount that they are willing to accept.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
ib516 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the Ridgeline only rated for 5000# if that 5000#is a boat? I thought for rvs or other towables with more frontal area it was rated lower.

Nope, it is 5000lbs regardless of what is towed. Mine tows our 3000lb boat fine but that is it. For larger loads I use our F350.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce H. wrote:
I tow a 3500 lb trailer with a 2006 Honda Pilot 4WD, which is mechanically pretty similar to a Ridgeline. The Pilot does OK on flat or rolling terrain, but is maxed out in the mountains. We went over 8600 ft. Carson Pass last summer--kept up with traffic, but at 4500 to 5200 rpm in 2nd gear. Not what I would consider a comfortable towing experience.

I also think that rigorous towing will eventually exact a toll on the Pilot's drivetrain.

I've made the decision to move to a full-sized tow vehicle. Am considering large SUV's as well as pickups. Have looked at the Tundra and I really like its interior and exterior redesign for 2014. Leaning more toward a SUV, though. Waiting to see the 2015 Tahoe when it is released in early Spring.

Between a Ridgeline and Tundra, I would definitely go for the Tundra. We love our Pilot, but it is just asking too much of it to tow a 3500 lb trailer.

Bruce

i have a good friend who also tried towing his heavier 19' HTT thru the Sierras, with his Pilot. one trip was enough for him to never do it again.
luckily he had a 5.3 v-8 Silverado to take its place.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 3500 lb trailer with a 2006 Honda Pilot 4WD, which is mechanically pretty similar to a Ridgeline. The Pilot does OK on flat or rolling terrain, but is maxed out in the mountains. We went over 8600 ft. Carson Pass last summer--kept up with traffic, but at 4500 to 5200 rpm in 2nd gear. Not what I would consider a comfortable towing experience.

I also think that rigorous towing will eventually exact a toll on the Pilot's drivetrain.

I've made the decision to move to a full-sized tow vehicle. Am considering large SUV's as well as pickups. Have looked at the Tundra and I really like its interior and exterior redesign for 2014. Leaning more toward a SUV, though. Waiting to see the 2015 Tahoe when it is released in early Spring.

Between a Ridgeline and Tundra, I would definitely go for the Tundra. We love our Pilot, but it is just asking too much of it to tow a 3500 lb trailer.

Bruce
2012 Lance 1575 TT pulled by 2013 4WD Expedition with HD Tow Package

real4u2c
Explorer
Explorer
Hey partner, I have a 2010 Toyota tundra double cab, 5.7liforce engine, and I gotta say, that beast has plenty of power, torque and so on to pull just about anything. After I load up my Roo, I honestly cant feel the trailer and I have driven to Mississippi twice in this past year, the hills between Va and there, No problems, and descent gas mileage. Just a example of the Tow experience.
Retired Marine with Retired Navy woman2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37 C, Workhorse p32 chassis, 8.1l gas engine.

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate??
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a Honda & Toyota guy too but for towing the trailer I would go with the Tundra in a heartbeat.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB