cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Mount help

dl68camper
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to add a TV Mount to the inside wall of the bedroom slideout and the outside under the awning of our TT. I would like to leave it mounted in the bedroom during towing. The TV is less than 15 LBS. Has anyone safely done this? I was thinking of using pop rivits to attach the brackets. This particular mount is perfect (2 bases, 1 arm) Is this foolish or if done correctly will it last forever?

Thank you,

David

2015 Cruiser Radiance 28RLSS
2015 Cruiser RV Radiance 28RLSS
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Ecoboost
29 REPLIES 29

dl68camper
Explorer
Explorer
I've spoken with someone from Cruiser customer service who was able to send me a PDF schematic of the outside wall of my camper. It has the metal stud locations with measurements all over it. I should be able to safely locate a stud for the outside mount. The inside mount in the slide out wall is a no go he said, but there is a dresser/counter top there that I could mount a pedestal type mount. BTW, both locations have factory installed power and antenna jacks. I haven't come up with a complete solution yet, but I'm getting closer......

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
What about electrical and cable connections to this area?? I would be extremely hesitant to mount a TV on a wall that isn't well reinforced for one. If you decide to go forward with this, certainly suggest you remove the TV before hitting the road.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Unfortunately it sounds like only the factory can answer this question. I found this FAQ Link to FAQ

Which lists their phone number. 260-562-3500

or an email contact form Contact form

Personally I would call them and ask how the walls both interior and exterior are constructed. Then you can formulate a plan on how to attach the mount.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

DanLE46
Explorer
Explorer
I came across a great little single arm articulating/tilting wall bracket at Walmart.com (Walmart #: 550933909) for only $18.00. Rated to hold up to 42" 66# TV and included a free 6' HDMI cable with the unit. What sold me on it was the fact that the TV was easily de-mountable by simply removing one thumb screw and loosening another. I had to modify the actual TV mounting plate a bit to better fit our 24" RCA LED TV. We travel with 2 TV's due to our entirely different viewing tastes AND both TV's travel face down on the front queen bed. It mounted on just one stud, and with the wood framing of our '07 Puma 25rs, it is very secure; but the TV's still travel de-mounted simply for my own peace of mind. Fits our application to a "T" and the TV re-mounts in seconds!

dl68camper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm working on getting more details from the manufacturer and I plan to contact some local RV places and see what they are doing. I'll update once I've come up with a solution or been defeated.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
dl68camper wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Lots of people use the idea Westend mentions. You can also use a stud finde to fint the stud and mount the bracket. I used small lag screws. I also have a 23" flatscreen that travels well while mounted. Whatever you do, don't mount anything using pop rivets.

I don't know what to make of your suggestions. Stud finder is pretty much useless in a camper with plywood walls and fiberglass exterior and I've used pop rivits hundreds of times. Camper manufacturers use them all the time. I don't know yet if they would work in this application and yes it would be ideal to drive lags into studs but finding them could be difficult and I'm unsure of the thickness in both locations.

I've used a stud finder to locate the aluminum tubing in the side walls of my camper several times, both inside and out. Personally, I wouldn't rely on pop rivets to hold up a TV. I would use a backer board at least 3/4" on an inside hollow wall, spanning the distance between 2 studs. Our TV is mounted on an outside wall, with a 3/4" oak plywood panel screwed into the aluminum tubing, and the mount is screwed to the plywood. With the edges veneered and a matching finish, it all fits in like it was original.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is laminated wall, you don't really have studs. The manufacturer laminates mounting plates into the wall where things are to be mounted.

If an interior wall (not inside of an exterior wall)! you can sandwich a larger section of the wall with plates of heavier material, like plywood or 1/8" aluminum, and bolt through the sandwich. Even so, with enough load, there is a risk of the wall failing around the edges of the sandwich.

We tend to think in terms of house construction, since we use these RVs like houses, but they are really more similar to corrogated boxes, lightweigth walls getting strength from bond of skin to the core, the core in this case being foam insulating board and the skin usually a very thin wood veneer or composite sheet. Where there is no mounting plate laminated in place of insulation, there is nothing in the wall to hold a fastener.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I went back and looked at the brochures for your trailer and they really don't mention wall construction. The weight listed for your size trailer would lead me to believe that it has aluminum studs not wood so with the right sized rivets you may be OK if you can get into the studs. I would be very hesitant to mount a TV just to the wall without anchoring directly into the studs regardless or wood or aluminum. I still say talk to the dealer, they have been asked this question before and may have an easy answer for you.

dl68camper
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Lots of people use the idea Westend mentions. You can also use a stud finde to fint the stud and mount the bracket. I used small lag screws. I also have a 23" flatscreen that travels well while mounted. Whatever you do, don't mount anything using pop rivets.

I don't know what to make of your suggestions. Stud finder is pretty much useless in a camper with plywood walls and fiberglass exterior and I've used pop rivits hundreds of times. Camper manufacturers use them all the time. I don't know yet if they would work in this application and yes it would be ideal to drive lags into studs but finding them could be difficult and I'm unsure of the thickness in both locations.

dl68camper
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
I would find out from your RV dealer where exactly to mount the articulating arm. Also, I'd go for a arm that locked into place.

I've contacted both the selling dealer and manufacturer but haven't been able to get to the right people yet. I'll keep trying, but in the mean time I was hoping to get some feedback from this community. The link I posted is for an adjustable locking mount.

dl68camper
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
There are thousands of trailers out there with TVs mounted ready to travel and have done so safely for tens of thousands of miles. The important part is to make sure that your TV mount is fastened to a wall that was meant to mount a TV. They usually have a sticker on the wall that says "TV mount location" or something similar. If you don't have an obvious mounting location, talk to your dealer to see if there is one, most bedrooms do.

I appreciate the reply, but I'm trying specifically to mount in locations not tagged for a TV. Hence the reason for my post.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
I would find out from your RV dealer where exactly to mount the articulating arm. Also, I'd go for a arm that locked into place.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of those articulating arm mounts. I mounted the bracket to a plywood backer board and mounted the backer through the paneling, into the studs. Since I have a 32" screen, I was able to span three studs and the backer board is behind the screen.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
There are thousands of trailers out there with TVs mounted ready to travel and have done so safely for tens of thousands of miles. The important part is to make sure that your TV mount is fastened to a wall that was meant to mount a TV. They usually have a sticker on the wall that says "TV mount location" or something similar. If you don't have an obvious mounting location, talk to your dealer to see if there is one, most bedrooms do.