cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV mounting

mcoley
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '07 Antiqua and I want to hang a 29" TV on the wall over the floor cabinet, I think StarCraft calls it a wardrobe, that is between the entry door and the front of the TT. I've been told that the wall is a sandwich of paneling, rigid foam and the outer skin and, that I should use toggle screws. Two concerns I have about toggle screws are: the large diameter hole required and; how do the toggle ears spread out if I don't "wallow" out the foam to make room for them? Has anyone used other types of screw anchors that worked out well? The TV weighs about 13lbs. I want to use a bracket that enables the TV to pull away from the wall and swivel. I also expect to be able to push it against the wall and secure it for travel. ANY other tips would be most welcome.
7 REPLIES 7

mcoley
Explorer
Explorer
Just to close out this discussion here's what I did: I cut and stained a piece of 3/4" oak 5" wide and long enough to span from the ceiling to the top of the wardrobe cabinet. I put two sheet metal screws into the aluminum tube frame at the top and two pocket screws downward into the cabinet top at the bottom. The TV mount I used has a removable plate that stays attached to the TV which I secured to the mount with two thumb screws. I sandwich the 7.5 lb, 24" TV between two pillows while traveling. I found the full motion mount on Amazon for $13. Thanks for all the input.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
My 06 has the sandwich walls you mention with aluminum framing, they are not 16" OC. I've installed the toggle bolts, but not for a tv and not for 13lbs. I did indeed have to push the foam out of the way with a screw driver after drilling the holes. What I did was use the toggles to mount a piece of 3/4" oak, then attached my towel rack to the oak. I went this route so the oak would cover the toggle bolt holes as the small towel rack brackets would not. In practice this worked out fine.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
i do not know about wood in the starcraft. I see some wood in seats, front storage area, and synthetic throughout. alluminum caged, who knows. I had 2 accidents with it and it has not fallen apart yet.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

mcoley
Explorer
Explorer
I think a solution may be to find a wall mount that has a plate that attaches to the TV that can be a "quick connect" to the wall mount. That would enable me to stow the TV while driving. Also, it sounds like there's a substantial frame (wood I hope) where the wall meets the ceiling. Think I'll make a piece of finished wood that hangs from that and attach the wall mount to that. Anyone know of a wall mount like I'm looking for? I still want tilt and swivel.

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the type anchor that DougE has linked. My concern is that the combination of the tv and the bracket will be too much weight while on the road. I think there might be too much weight and will pull loose during travel. Stationary application would be fine but who doesn't move the typical rv? If you have a storage shelf above the bunk end might be a better choice than the wall as it can be beefed up to allow for the josseling that road travel creates.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
I would think the outer framework of the wall is probably 2x2. If that's the case you could do as I did and attach a piece a heavy plywood screwed into the framing. You can then attach the swivel TV bracket to it. I was even able to find stain with Close match.

BTW my TV is about that size and although I never weighed it, I would bet it is much more than 13#.

OK curiosity got me and I weighed it. 26#.

Better check your weights unless I got I really heavy one.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I've always had good luck with these. The 1/4 inch size will hold 80#.
Currently Between RVs