cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

twisting jacks

nuckfan
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone else have this issue? When raising or lowering the TC, only one of my front jack brackets pull away from the camper a little bit at the base of the plate and bottom lag bolt, then when reset it goes back nice and tight. i removed the corner bracket and inspected for rot or a broken stud or something. everything seems mint and when reinstalling the lags snugged up nicely but still does the same thing . I just can't figure it out. I keep the front slightly higher than the rear when loading or unloading, and i try to do it as evenly as possible being manual Reico tytan crank style jacks. I've been contemplating buying an electric remote conversion, but the $1500 price tag is slowing me up on that and I don't know if that would make it any better.:h
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Renogy 100 amp solar, Honda EU2000i Gen.
2011 Travel Lite 800:C
4 REPLIES 4

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
I would check that jack (and the others) to insure that it is plumb.

I agree with this! AND if there is putty squishing out frpom behind the jack mounting plate this will cause and issue too, because the plate movement will translate to a larger movement at the foot.

Solution: remove plates, scrape off all putty TC corners and plates, reinstall using Slikaflex 221 as the sealant...this is what Lentz will do when reinstalling my jacks on the rebuild. Then the movement issue should be handled. Got this from the rebuild pros at Lentz.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would check that jack (and the others) to insure that it is plumb.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
If you jack it out of level to much that will happen, not good. Try to jack evenly as not to put to much stress on front or rear jacks.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
Non-native speaker here - I don't completely get your description. Maybe a picture would help.

The base plate should never move under normal load, and if it does, it usually is a rot/structural issue in my experience.

Does this always happen, and is it always at the same location where you load/unload the camper? A little flex is normal, especially if the ground slants slightly to one side. Most of the load is on the front jacks, and the camper front usually tries to turn to the "downhill" side when it is not completely level side to side.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow