cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Typical battery life

go_wild
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished up our 5th year of camping. Still using my original battery that came with the RV. It's charged up and sitting in my basement till spring. I hasn't caused me any issues so far, but wondering how many years I can expect to get out of it. Here in MN the battery sits idle for 6 months out of the year. Thoughts?
2007 Jeep Commander 4X4 HEMI
2010 Jayco 17Z
10 REPLIES 10

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
My battery is the oe and going on 5 years. It would hold a charge when dry camping this summer for about a day and a half. Take it out during the winter and keep it in a warm spot and charged.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suspect 5-6 years might be the expected minimum... My 255AH battery bank has been running since 2009 with great performance still being observed.

You have to do your battery maintenance and not just let them fend for themselves. Having a smart mode converter/charger is a must have thing if you want long service from your batteries. This unit does most of the battery maintenance for you...

Also I follow the golden rule to never discharge my battery below the 50% state of charge which is around 12.0VDC and watch my battery fluids on a scheduled basis.

My batteries stay on my trailer the year around but I do have a total disconnect setup with my BLUE SEA battery switch arrangement. Both my trailers are connected to the garage 120VAC receptacles when parked here at my CAMP BACKYARD. I can either leave the batteries on charge from the on-board smart mode converter/charger or switch completely off-line after they get a full 100% charge state and just switch back ON every month for a few days to get re-charged. I always check the battery DC VOLTAGEs on a regular basis at the terminals when I leave them in their total disconnect configuration.

I do have a THERMAL CUBE running an oil-filled heater when the temperature drops below 35 degrees and shut off when the temperature gets above 45 degrees in both trailers so I usually just leave my batteries connected to the on-board smart mode converter/charger unit over the winter months.

The winters here in Northern Neck Virginia are not that harsh or long term. Warms up good during the daytime...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Fixed_Sight_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
Lead-acid batteries don't like deep discharge, not even the deep cycle versions so avoid that. There is also no need to "cycle and recharge" them, just keep 'em fully charged.

A "smart" charger is mandatory for long battery life as is maintaining the electrolyte level.

This is one of the big reasons I put a solar system on the rv. I spent a little more than just replacing the batts would have been but now I don't have to take them out and store them, I use it year round as an office at my shooting range, I don't need to make charge them before we go camping, I don't need to go to a site with hookups and the I don't even bring my generator anymore. Makes camping much more enjoyable. I have a 136 watt panel BTW with morning star controller.
Big Brother is watching.

Fixed_Sight_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
Lead-acid batteries don't like deep discharge, not even the deep cycle versions so avoid that. There is also no need to "cycle and recharge" them, just keep 'em fully charged.

A "smart" charger is mandatory for long battery life as is maintaining the electrolyte level.

This is one of the big reasons I put a solar system on the rv. I spent a little more than just replacing the batts would have been but now I don't have to take them out and store them, I use it year round as an office at my shooting range, I don't need to make charge them before we go camping, I don't need to go to a site with hookups and the I don't even bring my generator anymore. Makes camping much more enjoyable. I have a 136 watt panel BTW with morning star controller.
Big Brother is watching.

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
If you maintain them properly and keep them charged the batteries will last beyond 5 years in most cases.

However, if you are like me and abuse them you can expect about 4 years. I try to keep them filled with water but often let them run down and sit for a while before charging back up while in storage.

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
My Interstate's have lasted 18 years. I always make sure the distilled water is added to the ring, as charging will boil out the liquid and ruin the battery.

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
I had one battery that lasted 8 years, had another that lasted 6 months, plates shorted out, had another that actually froze and split open. One I have now is going on 3 years. All the same brand. Some batteries last longer than others. Keep it charged, filled with distilled water, terminals clean and free of corrosion and it will last as long as it lasts.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
About the same usage season here in New England. Sold the HTT this spring, bought in 06, the original Interstate 12v battery was still working fine.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
use till dead, I keep a trickle charger on mine. in the spring stop at a auto store and have it load tested. don,t mention its age, they,ll try to sell you a new one.