cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Under-chassis storage

jholovacs
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Outback 298RE where the body is a good two feet off the ground, and even in highly uneven terrain, it's never less than 1.5' clearance with the ground.

Does anyone ever use this area for storage? It seems like it would be a great place to mount a couple of kayaks, close to the axles.
2011 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew/ EcoBoost/ 4.10 diff
2016 Open Range 319RLS
2012 Keystone Outback 298RE (traded in)
8 REPLIES 8

BBuchorn
Explorer
Explorer
Like my Grandaddy always said "Can't, never did anything, never will!
Now lets figure it out and get it done!".
I too have a 298RE Outback. like you said. there is a lot of room under there, even beside the frame rails on the outer sides of the frame. Outback even added a storage box to there line after mine came out.
BB

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Friend built hangers under his to store a 7 1/2 foot wheelchair ramp (removed from an old U-Haul). Carries other stuff under there too.

He worked 30+ years in the fabrication shop for R&D, so about all he needs is an idea about what is to be done, and he'll design and build something to do it with parts borrowed from where ever. Put power steering on a 30's vintage John Deere D, and did it again for his brother's Farmall, using '50s car parts.

All it takes is imagination, and a deaf ear to the why it won't work guys.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I think if C.B added a couple more of those square posts he could add the fence to them and have a pretty handsome shelf under there, lol.

MMMMMmmmmmmm? Only unit in the campground with it's own white PVC fence around it.

This may take some thought????????:h:h:B:B

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I think if C.B added a couple more of those square posts he could add the fence to them and have a pretty handsome shelf under there, lol.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too have a bunch of room under my OFF-ROAD POPUP. I always told folks there is enough room under there to the string up a hammock and sleep there haha..

I always thought this would be a good place to mount a safe box with access from the floor of top side cabinet...

My frames are 8-inch tall so even staying just even with those would be a pretty big safe lock box...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a few:

Roll of carpet

Sewer hose

Fold up double sided step ladder

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

MegaJohn
Explorer
Explorer
We store our Thetford dump tank on a platform built under our camper. It's been there for a year... and still doing fine. I included photos in this thread... link.

Approaching our home there's a steep drop-off onto another road (in a curve even). We've not had any issues with it dragging. The platform is no lower than the steps and is in the same area of the camper.

I've read where others have considered installing additional batteries under the camper. I've not done this... yet. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Happy Camping!
John.
Stock 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab, 5.9L Cummins, Automatic, 2WD, Dually
- 30' 2006 Pilgrim Interntional travel trailer, dry weight ~7k pounds, GVWR ~9k pounds
- Husky weight distributing hitch, friction anti-sway control, electronic brake controller

IMO, road debris would wreck anything you put under there.
It would be easy to damage the kayaks, being that close to the ground, especially if you drove over a steep entrance to a parking lot of gas station.
Kinda risky I think.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com