cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unhooking

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Rockwood. When I try to unhook the hitch I'm back & forth, back & forth etc. with the truck. If not just right I'm lifting the truck with the electric jack. Never had this problem with our other trailers. Hitch make is hard to read, Atwood, Awooo, Al something, no idea. Hitch latch open. Any ideas ?
19 REPLIES 19

sremsing
Explorer
Explorer
Had same problem with my 2011 Rockwood. Solved the problem by applying lots of grease under latch mechanism,never had a problem since.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD quad cab, Vortec 6000
Prodigy
2011 Rockwood 2604
wife and one fur buddy.

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
Put a dab of your favorite grease on the ball and spread it around.
It really helps the ball slide into and out of the coupler socket.

Waterproof marine grease (the blue kind) used for boat trailer hub bearings and other marine uses works very well.
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Sounds like something in the latching mechanism is hanging up. Maybe shoot the guts of it with some silicone lubricant spray

You know I just thought of something. I was going over this site and saw one on greasing the ball. I've towed a 5th wheel for 5 years until my wife got hip problems. Never thought about greasing the ball like I used to on our TT's. Maybe that might work.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like something in the latching mechanism is hanging up. Maybe shoot the guts of it with some silicone lubricant spray
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Pull the pin on the receiver, drive forward.

Ball might have rust or a gouge making it hang up in the couple?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed