Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Update on beach trip

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few months ago, I posted this.

"You decide.
Last week I towed the TT to Myrtle Beach. On the way down I kept wondering WHY my MPG was so low. Everything felt fine, no extra wind, but worse than usual MPG. I usually get 10, to the beach, and 9 1/2 home I barely got 9, actually high 8. Same thing on the way home. WHAT was the difference, what was wrong?

Then yesterday it hit me. My K%N filter was dirty, And I didn't have time to clean it before we left, and besides, they don't help anyway, right. So I bought a Fram air filter, and stuck it in. Result. Loss of MPG. Could tell no difference in power.

Well the K%N. Is being cleaned even as I type. It's goin back in. One MPG may not seem like much, but, it's alot when you ain't gettin none to start with. and in my truck, it's 27 miles "

So. We all wanted to know if the K&N filter would help, or hurt, and some wanted an up date.
So here is the up date. Last Friday I left for the beach, WITH the K&N installed. Were there any other differences? Yes. The TT was much heavier, prolly 800lbs heavier, than in April, AND the TV was carrying "9" bike in comparrasion to none in April.

Now down to it. Was there a difference in MPG? Yep. around 10%. In April. MPG was about 8.8. This trip. MPG was 10. Not a lot you say? Maybe not. But 1 MPG is a lot where you aren't getting much anyway.

Can I say the filter made the difference? No. All I can say, Is there was a difference, and the K&N was in when the MPG was higher.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
6 REPLIES 6

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Yeah. I only let it hit 70 once, when I wasn't paying attention. The 5.4 loves to run. If I don't hold it back, it would be doing 75. It seemed to get it's best MPG at a dash over 60. It has the 3.55 rear. "

I have 3:55's as well and when towing cruise at 59. Have to agree that the 5.4L loves to run. On the long grades of 6 to 8 % that often run for 10 miles or more out here I just put my foot in it and 3600 gives me max (365#) torque. Once in a while I may even see 4,000+ as I approach max HP (4400), but other than burning a bunch of fuel the engine has no complaint. It will hold about 1600 - 1700 rpm (59 mph), in OD at anything less than a 2% grade which accounts for the good mileage. :C

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
I never saw an increase in mpg with the K&N filter on my Duramax. I can see a low restriction filter making a difference in power and fuel economy when the engine is sucking a large volume of air such as it does under high boost and high rpm but when cruising down the highway in overdrive with a clean stock filter there is no air restriction anyway.

I don't tow in overdrive. The truck don't like it, and I don't either. It feels like it is lugging, and lugging is not good for the engine. I like the throttle response I get, and less down shifting to 2nd, when I tow in 3rd. It's right in the power band, using all the fuel going to it, and running free.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I never saw an increase in mpg with the K&N filter on my Duramax. I can see a low restriction filter making a difference in power and fuel economy when the engine is sucking a large volume of air such as it does under high boost and high rpm but when cruising down the highway in overdrive with a clean stock filter there is no air restriction anyway.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Break out the popcorn and batten down the hatches.... here come the K&N haters. :B How dare you even infer that a K&N works well and... Gasp, might just improve your mileage. LMAO!

I've been running K&N for 15 years with nothing but good results. My current CAI paid for itself after about 3 years of not buying the expensive paper filters. While I did not buy mine seeking better mileage I have seen a small improvement and do get a little extra power, about 5%. I also believe that having the Leer shell contributes to improving my mileage and I know for fact the Scan Gauge has added a 9% improvement both towing and non. I also love my Icon Direct Wind Deflector which adds 1.5 to 2.0 additional mpg towing, it paid for itself in 6,000 miles/one year.

Believe or don't as the spirits move you but I know what works for me. My 2006 F-150 SCab 5.4L averages 17 around town, 19.5 on the highway at 65 and 12.5 towing the 5K# TT. I think all of the above improvements combine to generate the good numbers I consistently see (on the Scan Gauge and verified at every fill up), but never underestimate the efficiency of a well educated, light right foot. Nice to be retired and in no particular hurry. :B

K & N is fine with a gasser which doesn't depend on such a high air flow as a diesel. I think the K & N hater remarks are related to diesel engines.
Oil her up!
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:
Break out the popcorn and batten down the hatches.... here come the K&N haters. :B How dare you even infer that a K&N works well and... Gasp, might just improve your mileage. LMAO!

I've been running K&N for 15 years with nothing but good results. My current CAI paid for itself after about 3 years of not buying the expensive paper filters. While I did not buy mine seeking better mileage I have seen a small improvement and do get a little extra power, about 5%. I also believe that having the Leer shell contributes to improving my mileage and I know for fact the Scan Gauge has added a 9% improvement both towing and non. I also love my Icon Direct Wind Deflector which adds 1.5 to 2.0 additional mpg towing, it paid for itself in 6,000 miles/one year.

Believe or don't as the spirits move you but I know what works for me. My 2006 F-150 SCab 5.4L averages 17 around town, 19.5 on the highway at 65 and 12.5 towing the 5K# TT. I think all of the above improvements combine to generate the good numbers I consistently see (on the Scan Gauge and verified at every fill up), but never underestimate the efficiency of a well educated, light right foot. Nice to be retired and in no particular hurry. :B

Yeah. I only let it hit 70 once, when I wasn't paying attention. The 5.4 loves to run. If I don't hold it back, it would be doing 75. It seemed to get it's best MPG at a dash over 60. It has the 3.55 rear.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III