cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

*UPDATE* ST tires any better nowadays?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems like all the ST tires you can get here on the East coast are cheap no-name brands, Maxxis not available out here last time I checked. I upgraded to LT tires (225/75-16) after my last blowout and haven't looked back. Now at 5 years old it looks like one slipped a belt and is seriously egg-shaped, so time for replacements.

I see that Goodyear has come out with a "new generation" ST tire. I do like to tow at 70 mph so the ST 65 mph speed limit doesn't work for me.

Before I buy another set of LT's thought I would check and see if I should be looking at ST's again.
48 REPLIES 48

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
You have a much wider selection of LT tire compared to ST.

When I looked for 15" LT LRE (or LRD) tires I had a hard time finding any. LRC is the highest I could find. Maybe I didn't do a good search. But if anyone has names of 15" LRE tires, I'd like to get it. About the only one I could find was a tire used on MB sprinter vans.

16" another story, they are a huge number to choose from.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RandACampin
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
I'd still stay far away from anything made in china. I've been running LT's on my Voltage for the past 5 years and no issues.

Where were those LTs made?
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tire makers recognized a market for a higher performance rated ST. They filled the niche.

The rest of the horse, utility, TT and custom trailer owners will use the tires that came on the unit.

If you do not want to use Chinese products, better get rid of your phone, television, most of your electronic devices, not to mention your cloth and sporting goods.

We live in a world market.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did a quick search and looks like Provider Tires are either no longer being made or no longer available on the East coast.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Yes, there are three brands of "new generation" tires, that I know of, all with higher speed rating, due to design for cooler running, and nylon wrapped for extra strength. Nothing wrong with LTs though, but egg shaped at 5 years, I'd try a different brand.

Jerry

Sometimes trailer owners don't ask the LT tire mfg which LT tire they recommend for trailer use. Just any LT tire may not be the best choice for the long run. The ones they recommend are a all season or ribbed tread.
LT tire makers can have many lines of LT tires to choose from for our trucks/suvs/vans/etc but usually have only one line they recommend for trailer service.

The Provider ST C/D/E tire is one of the first out in '11 era new gen L speed rated tire. As usual it became popular on commercial trailers and then later on rv trailers. I have a set of ST235/80-16 E on a tandem axle 12k car hauler. DOT dated in 2011 and have just under 30k miles on them.

The Goodyear Endurance and Carlisle HD higher speed ratings (80mph) both have been out around two years now and are popular. Time will tell if they can make a good long term tire without the the problems that we had with the older gen ST tires.

These would be my pick of the new gen ST C/D/E tires in that order.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:

Before I buy another set of LT's thought I would check and see if I should be looking at ST's again.

Why?

Though these new ST tires MAY be better..... You have found a solution that works.

My main issue is that I have seen this movie before.
Everytime a new ST tire is introduced there is a stampede to it. At first the reports are glowing. then slowly bad reports start showing up, followed by a lot of denial, slowly some start to realize the truth, some will never admit that they have been had again, though they will be the first to stampede again to the next new ST. It is sort of like watching the Lemmings charge over a clif.

I look at it this way. These new STs are made by the same companies that cheerfully too a LOT of my money selling me their previous junk, while telling how great it was.
They do not deserve anymore of my money, on the CHANCE that they MAY be telling the truth this time.
I went to Michelin XPS Ribs in 2006. Now on my third set due to age. Zero tire issues since I made the swap.

I will let the Lemmings do what they do.
I will stick with a solution that has been working.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I went to LTs I also put a lift on the trailer and got 16" wheels. Here is a pic of the problem tire, look at the way the one on the right in this pic is rounded like a bike tire. It's getting ready to let go.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
You have a much wider selection of LT tire compared to ST.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I, and a few other friends have had very good luck with Maxxis, and now the Goodyear endurance.

Yes, LT tires would be a nice upgrade but I haven't found a 15" LT tire that can match the LR of a LRE ST tire. and any I've seen would be overloaded on my trailer.

Not really interested in going to 16" tires.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Endurance is made in the USA. I've been using them for 20,000 miles -- they seem very solid. But I don't tow over 65 -- usually less -- so I can't say that they are good at 75 mph, since I don't know.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'd still stay far away from anything made in china. I've been running LT's on my Voltage for the past 5 years and no issues.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO Carlisle has restored their reputation.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have run Carlisle ST tires for 10 years all LR โ€œEโ€. The first set were RHโ€™s and never gave me an issue. The second set were HDโ€™s and again very good. The HDโ€™s have an 81mph speed rating so that gives some cushion.

I highly recommend them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My preference would still be an LT.

I did put Goodyear Endurance on my 7000 pound boat, as I didn't want to upgrade to larger wheels and all the trailer work that would have encompassed. That was 3 years ago now, and I have to say that so far I am impressed. The trailer itself tows a lot better than it did with the OEM junk tires it had on it.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you ask for the Goodyear "Endurance" line and not the older Marathons.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro