cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

*UPDATE* ST tires any better nowadays?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems like all the ST tires you can get here on the East coast are cheap no-name brands, Maxxis not available out here last time I checked. I upgraded to LT tires (225/75-16) after my last blowout and haven't looked back. Now at 5 years old it looks like one slipped a belt and is seriously egg-shaped, so time for replacements.

I see that Goodyear has come out with a "new generation" ST tire. I do like to tow at 70 mph so the ST 65 mph speed limit doesn't work for me.

Before I buy another set of LT's thought I would check and see if I should be looking at ST's again.
48 REPLIES 48

gregmisc
Explorer
Explorer
My Starcraft came with Rainer ST 205/75R14 LR C and have held up with over 25,000 miles on them until now. They are worn uneven due to 2 bent axles I now have on order. Based on all the comments here Iโ€™m going to try the GY Endurance LR D tires. Iโ€™ll post if I have any problems with them.
2018 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 3.5L V6 ECOBOOST
3.55 Electronic Lock RR Axle
Max Trailer Tow Package 12,700# Tow Capacity
Anderson WDH
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultralight 24 RLS

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of GY Endurance in 225/75 15 E on my 9000 lb trailer. 1 of the 4 had a defect new, sidewall bulge where the belts join which became apparent on the 25 mile trip home from the store. Discount tire replaced it, since then they have been fine. 1 season, maybe 5000 miles on them. They seem a more substantial tire looking at them off the rim. Ar they new and improved? Maybe, time will tell. They still make mistakes building them apparently.

I also ran the China bombs that the 2 yr old trailer came with for 1 season, they gave me no issues and a looked good when removed. (sold em on CL) Also ran a set of Maxxis on my last trailer, they were fine. I hope I don't jinx myself, but I have had no issues with ST tires over the years.

My trailer came with LR D tires, I like to think it gives a bit more margin to upsize rating to an E. YMMV.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
The Goodyear Endurance tire has an N speed rating..... 87 mph.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My take on all of this is that since the Sailun 637 hit the market and began to make a name for themselves. Goodyear decided to up their game.
The G Rated Sailun is really a competitor to the G614 Goodyear which was/is allegedly the ultimate towable RV tire.
In response to the lower priced Sailun, Goodyear introduced the Endurance line which appears to have broke the cycle of junk ST tires.
Carlisle also had to up its game as well and introduced a better line of ST tires.
Competition is a good thing, much in the way Japanese cars forced a change in the auto industry. Sailun created a revolution within the RV ST tire world.
To answer your question, things have improved in ST tire land, you can now find a decent ST tire .
The Endurance line continues to get good reviews,have held up well developing a stellar reputation.
Competition can be a good thing, especially when it comes from an outsider.
Competition forces manufactures to actually compete and produce a worthwhile products vs. being complacid and churning out junk.

Now if we could only find real outside competition to force the junk producers in Indiana and beyond to build quality RV's we would all stand to benefit.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
How many posts about GY Endurance blow outs have you read? About as many as I've read about LT problems.
Not to say the GY is as good as LT's but so far the track record seems positive. My TT came stock with GY Endurance 16". I'll let you know if one blows.

+1
I am sold on LT tires based on past experience, as well as common sense. That being said, my 5er came with the Endurances, and have been fine for over a year.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
I see that Goodyear has come out with a "new generation" ST tire. I do like to tow at 70 mph so the ST 65 mph speed limit doesn't work for me.

Before I buy another set of LT's thought I would check and see if I should be looking at ST's again.

To answer your question posed in your thread title - the answer is yes, Goodyear Endurance ST tires manufactured in the USA. Installed a set myself after one of the original Chinese manufactured tires suddenly split of it's own volition. Maybe there's someone out there with a set they're not happy with but I myself haven't read any negative reviews anywhere from those who did decide to give the Endurance a try.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Tires are one item where I believe easy acessability is important.

Even though I have not needed a unscheduled tire replacement since 2006, I am keenly aware that the right road hazard can cause a failure at any time.

So I like to have a tire that can be had relatively fast, wherever I may be.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

soren
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Providers by Taskmaster.......Discount Tires and Simple Tire will get them for you or their web adds say they can.

Neither of them have stores on LI
There is no reason to deny yourself a good tire for anything you own because there is no local dealer. I needed new 19.5s for my motorhome. I'm surrounded by at least a dozen places in a 15-20 minute drive that could provide tires. I saved hundreds per tire by having an online provider drop ship tires to a local truck shop. The tires were name brand, a few weeks old, and I rolled out the door for less than half of the highest local quote I got.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Providers by Taskmaster.......Discount Tires and Simple Tire will get them for you or their web adds say they can.

Order online - ship to home or local tire store?
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:

When I looked for 15" LT LRE (or LRD) tires I had a hard time finding any. LRC is the highest I could find. Maybe I didn't do a good search. But if anyone has names of 15" LRE tires, I'd like to get it. About the only one I could find was a tire used on MB sprinter vans.

16" another story, they are a huge number to choose from.
Here is what I have on my trailer.
Maxxis ST Radial M8008 225/75R15 LRE 2830lbs @80psi.
Maxxis 15" LR E tire
Barney

thats the maxxis I had before the goodyears, but it's an ST tire not an LT. Had good luck with them, lastes a long time, not tire issues.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
BurbMan wrote:

Goodyear Endurance is the tire.
They have a higher PSI and speed rating rating when you compare a given size to the off brand ST tires.

Video comparing them to another tire

Another video, ST205/75R15 Endurance
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Did a quick search and looks like Provider Tires are either no longer being made or no longer available on the East coast.

Providers by Taskmaster.......Discount Tires and Simple Tire will get them for you or their web adds say they can. My ST235/85-16 E was ordered by my area Discount tire store.
Like Sailun S637 16" load G tires which are the most popular in that class has to be ordered from their warehouses by just about any dealer
Provider warehouses are located in Hampton, Iowa..... Sikeston, Missouri.... and Mount Pleasant, TX. I would say TX has more equipment/flatbed trailer mfg than anywhere plus their warehouse system being centrally located close to RV and other trailer type mfg's was a planned choice.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:

When I looked for 15" LT LRE (or LRD) tires I had a hard time finding any. LRC is the highest I could find. Maybe I didn't do a good search. But if anyone has names of 15" LRE tires, I'd like to get it. About the only one I could find was a tire used on MB sprinter vans.

16" another story, they are a huge number to choose from.
Here is what I have on my trailer.
Maxxis ST Radial M8008 225/75R15 LRE 2830lbs @80psi.
Maxxis 15" LR E tire
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
How many posts about GY Endurance blow outs have you read? About as many as I've read about LT problems.
Not to say the GY is as good as LT's but so far the track record seems positive. My TT came stock with GY Endurance 16". I'll let you know if one blows.