cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrade advice- separate sleep area, slideout, sleeper couch

Skelshy
Explorer
Explorer
We're upgrading from a 19ft Surveyor Sport which we love and is an ideal shorty couples trailer. We like that it has a real queen bed, we upgraded the mattress, the slideout creates plenty of space. Plenty of storage and the cabinets are nice. The couch/dining combo worked well for us hoever the table tended to be in the way even without the baby.

With a 15 months old, we just leave the table at home but still it's just not working out space wise. What is also a deal breaker is that we can;t use the trailer when there is a nap going on.

Looking for inspiration / floorplans for a larger trailer!

• Definitely would go with a slideout again
  • dual batteries and propane tanks
  • OK with a convertible sofa/bed for the toddler
  • would like to have some separation between bedroom and the rest of the trailer, like a mid bath setup
  • hard panel shower
  • Would prefer ducted (residential) heat. Our heater is very very noisy.

Bigger is better only to a degree. We like to camp in primitive sites and choices lessen the larger your equipment.

Don't care about television

The goal is to sleep very comfortably and have enough room for all of us when it's raining or cold.

We have a 2014 F150 ecoboost fully equipped for towing. Below 6k "yellow sticker" would be a goal as to keep payload within reasonable limits. We can go a bit higher if it's a nice trailer, but we'll be bumping against the trucks 1400 and change payload.

Price limit would be 30k (after discounts, happy to look at models with a higher MSRP)

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Skelshy
Explorer
Explorer
ADK Camper wrote:

You may not care to build such a table yourself, but they are available commercially. Ikea would be a good place to start looking. This solution may allow you to continue with your current trailer and postpone buying a larger one until your child is a little older.

Thanks! We might indeed have a similar nook to place that table in.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I think our trailer floor plan is similar to yours. It too came with a "portable" table/sofa combination. The table was so big and heavy we stopped using it. Open it was always in the way and folded it was always in the way because there was no way to stow it. We found a solution that may work for you. We now use a gate leg table I designed and built.

Folded it's only 8 inches wide and tucks away easily. (we call this "cocktail mode")

Opened it's 38" inches long. Large enough to sit comfortably for a full meal.

You may not care to build such a table yourself, but they are available commercially. Ikea would be a good place to start looking. This solution may allow you to continue with your current trailer and postpone buying a larger one until your child is a little older.

Skelshy
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else have tips?

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skelshy wrote:
That's a nice layout. The captains chairs tucket behind the kitchen counter look a little odd, but I imagine you'd get over that fairly quickly. ๐Ÿ™‚

We thought so, too, and removed one. Now the area looks like this.

Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

Skelshy
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
Skelshy wrote:
Looking for inspiration / floorplans for a larger trailer! Bigger is better only to a degree. We like to camp in primitive sites and choices lessen the larger your equipment.

We had many of the same requirements and bought this Rockwood. Under 30 feet.

Rockwood ultra lite 2604

That's a nice layout. The captains chairs tucket behind the kitchen counter look a little odd, but I imagine you'd get over that fairly quickly. ๐Ÿ™‚

Skelshy
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
A bunkhouse is the way to go with kids. Especially if more are planned. It's so nice tolerable the living area alone at bedtime and in the morning. There are some light and reasonable length models out there.

That's good advice. I was being greedy because the bunks require a longer trailer (usually)

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
A bunkhouse is the way to go with kids. Especially if more are planned. It's so nice tolerable the living area alone at bedtime and in the morning. There are some light and reasonable length models out there.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skelshy wrote:
Looking for inspiration / floorplans for a larger trailer! Bigger is better only to a degree. We like to camp in primitive sites and choices lessen the larger your equipment.

We had many of the same requirements and bought this Rockwood. Under 30 feet.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=214&Image=5061&ModelID=1216#Main
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

ChuckNTruck
Explorer
Explorer
Before a hail storm claimed it, i had a Heartland Sundance XLT 241BH. It was a smaller bunkhouse, but had a full queen bed up front and dual bunks in the back. It was a fairly inexpensive trailer but was very nice and not too heavy.
Here is one like what i had.
http://www.midwayrv.com/rv/grand+rapids+mi/heartland+traveltrailer/1612/heartland+sundance%2Bxlt+241bh

The Sundance XLTs are basically rebranded Shadow Cruisers, but i like the colors better.
2015 Ram 2500 CTD 4X4
2017 Heartland Sundance XLT 281DB