cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded TC Taillights to LED

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had a truck driver pull up next to me and tell me my camper taillights weren’t working. Strange, I thought, since I had just seen them working the night before as I backed into a camping spot. I thanked him and pulled over to check them for myself, and just as I thought, they were working.

I did notice that the lenses were pretty hazy, and when you looked down on them like a truck driver would be, they seemed very dim. This was also late in the day, and I was heading east on I-40, so the sun would have been shining on the back of the camper. I figured I better do something about this.

The camper taillights are Bargman three-lens type 84, with two red and one backup light. Dual filament bulbs behind the red lenses. I had tried the replacement LED bulbs a few years ago, but wasn’t happy with the results. They didn’t seem as bright as the incandescent bulbs, so I didn’t use them. In hindsight, the lenses were probably the problem then too. These are recessed, not surface mount lights, so my preference was to not have to replace the entire assembly. I had also replaced the backup lights with LED floods, and wasn’t going to give those up. I need those bright backup lights!

I found that Bargman makes a replacement LED upgrade lens kit with a dual-filament bulb type plug. The cheapest I could find was on Amazon.

Bargman LED Upgrade Kit

Due to the light, these aren’t great pics, but hopefully you can tell that the new taillights are much brighter.

Old lenses

New lenses (sorry, this is the best the iPhone could do)

So, not a cheap upgrade at about $115, but they are truly “plug and play”, and it sure beats getting rear-ended.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!
6 REPLIES 6

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress wrote:
Did you have to install a resister on each side?

No, I didn’t. But, I should probably mention that the 2016 Ford Superduties still had dual-filament incandescent bulbs in the taillights, so that may be a factor.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“In hindsight, the lenses were probably the problem then too.“

I agree that some led replacements are more dim than incandescents.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
I did that a few years ago, but I only have one per side. The difference is amazing. One of the best "upgrades" I have done.
Your iphone's light sensors just got overwhelmed by the amount of light from the replacements.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Did you have to install a resister on each side?
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just replaced the filament bulbs with LED bulbs (bright white) from SuperbrightLEDS.Com

Think the total cost was about 20 bucks plus some Di-Electric grease on the bases of the LED's.

CREE SMD's of course.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks good, I’m needing to do some wiring, but in my case, it’s the trailer/7 way/camper wiring.

Thinking about just taking it to the local mechanic and say fix it all. 🙂 Probably don’t need it for a few months, so we’ll see.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member