Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading fuel capacity

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
I am looking into upgrading the capacity of fuel that my 2016 F350 diesel holds. I am tired of the short range when towing, and just how often I have to fill when around home.
I am wanting feedback on the transfer flo and Titan replacement tanks that go in place of the stock. Is one better than the other? Anyone wish that they didn't upsize their tank? Any issues servicing the truck with this tank take by up more room underneath?
22 REPLIES 22

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I have a topper/cap on my truck and have never been bothered by diesel fumes. On my tank the vent tube is under the truck

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
I really wanted to replace my OEM tank with a Titan, but to me, the cost for just an additional, 15 gallons wasn't worth it. I added an RDS 60 gallon tank in my bed, and now have way more capacity and a lower cost.

If you have a long bed, might be worth considering this route.

I have a soft roll up box cover. Then in bed style makes me hesitant because I feel that there will always be diesel s,ell under the cover that escapes the tank vent. I could be wrong. Anyone have experience with an in bed aux tank used under a cover?

Also, I don't have a 5th wheel, yet. With a short box truck is their enough room to put one in front without causing clearance issues?

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, those are the types of reviews I was hoping for.

Our last trip we ran into some areas where the next fuel was 200 km. Thought, no problem, tank is almost full. What they didn't mention was this 200 km to fuel was 20 kilometres one way off the main highway. The stuff on The highway was 300 km. The half hour detour went a long way into convincing the wife that a bigger tank was money well spent.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I really wanted to replace my OEM tank with a Titan, but to me, the cost for just an additional, 15 gallons wasn't worth it. I added an RDS 60 gallon tank in my bed, and now have way more capacity and a lower cost.

If you have a long bed, might be worth considering this route.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
you are looking st real high end stuff there.

You could stick an RDS in the bed and have a lot of change to fill it up.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
They work fine other than they're expensive and they hang down some, but then most trucks are "pavement queens". I just put a 130 gal tank in the back of my truck.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Transfer Flo 50 gal in bed tank in my trucks since 03. I wouldn't be without it. People can say what they want about having to stop sooner than that but having the ability to fuel up where it's cheaper and bypass where it isn't is worth it. At times I've seen as much as $.40-$.50 per gal difference from one area to the next. 800 -1000 mi between fuel stops can make a big difference in price

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced factory tank w/ a Transfer-flow 50 gallon. No problem working underneath truck. The T-flow is made from metal while the Titan is made of plastic. Both have their advantages/disadvantages. If you go w/ T-flow, make sure you get the "undercoating" option for it. Will take a few hours to replace and a helper is good to have along w/ a floor jack and wood. Tight squeeze getting your hand on top of tank to re-attach the wires and all. Based on 9-10 mpgs towing, good for about 400 miles before needing fuel tho 10 gallons remain. Figure that's a reserve.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"