Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrading to fifth wheel

shane772
Explorer
Explorer
Current tow vehicle:
1999 F250 Crew cab short bed, 2wd, auto trans, 3.73, 4"turbo back exhaust, tow tune.

Current rv:
bumper pull travel trailer uvw = 7500 lbs

Upgrade 5er:
Fifth wheel uvw = 10,100 lbs

Anyone have experience pulling with the above set up or close to it? I want to make sure my truck can handle it. I don't want to be 'that guy' driving 45mph down the highway causing a hazard.
Currently I can pull any speed I want with no issues at all. Everyone keeps saying we should upgrade to a 5er which we will do happily, if our truck can handle it. Thanks for any input.
9 REPLIES 9

shane772
Explorer
Explorer

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a fun tool to use:

Link

shane772
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the replies. I've got a monitor that I keep an eye on everything except trans temp. Guess I'll get one of those and a bigger cooler just to be safe.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes you can tow it and carry it! You will likely be over the TV GVWR, but if yours is like mine it is only about 78% of the axle ratings. I still have 1,300# of axle rating left about 700# on the rear axle.

It is even better if that F250 is a Camper Special as it will have heaver springs.

I tow the 5er at 11,000+ and 2,000# to 2,200# of pin pulls hills great.
Get good gauges to keep an eye on the 7.3L work horse!!

Welcome to the 5er side!! :B
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
You will be fine. Like someone else said the trans/TC is the week link but as long as you don't try to pull the pin out of the hitch every time you take off , you'll be fine. IDK that I would run the tune towing unless you have a few gauges to watch things. The bigger hills will pull you down but you'll hold alright, just stay to the right please.

My 5ers pull easier than my first TT and it weighed half as much.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

shane772
Explorer
Explorer
Should have stated it's the 7.3 diesel. I've got the 65hp tow tune now but can change it. Yes, uvw = unloaded weight, add 1000 and that's probably where I'll be hauling. I know how all the numbers work and have been pulling for plenty of years. More curious if anyone had first hand experience with this or similar setups and what their experience was. Or if I should expect a HUGE difference in power, speed, etc going to a 5er from a tt. Everything I've been told, it will handle much different - for the better.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck will pull it, I won't get into the weight issue, but your trans is the weak link.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is that unloaded or empty weight? If so you need more truck. 10,000 lb is pretty much the limit for any F-250, you will have 2,000 lb on the pin.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
How much HP is your tune adding and do you tow in the mountains much?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln