cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used camper purchase, possible roof issue - please advise

blitzn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to buy a used travel trailer and I'm looking at one in particular. While inspecting the trailer, my wife and I noticed some damage on the roof where the front of the trailer meets the roof.

I'm not sure what to make of it and was wondering if anyone has any advice or opinion about what may have caused the damage and how serious it might be. The sealant job at the seam looks methodical to me and like something that would come from the factory, but I'm not sure why the bar was lifted up and bent the way it was. A local RV dealer told us he thought it was definitely a repair and would stay away from it.

I recently looked at another trailer and was checking out the roof at the front seam, and saw similar workmanship on the seal, so it makes me wonder about the other trailer with the issue.

Thanks in advance for any good advice.
21 REPLIES 21

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd be looking carefully, inside, for signs of water leakage. That is not fixable. Most everything else is.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
RUN!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
You are looking at a TT with a repaired roof damage. You have to decided if the price is right.

No one can say for sure when or if any TT roof will leak. I doubt the dealer will guarantee the roof against leaks.

Also if you are the handyman type vs. the all thumbs type, that makes a difference.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
That rail has been pulled up somehow. Maybe hung on a limb or something.
May or may not have leaked under it. Feel for softness around it and look at ceiling inside. If leaked, there will be a sign of leakage.

It MUST be repaired in any case.

PS: Get a Mobile Tech to look at it. A Dealer wants to sale you one of their units so they will discourage you from any other.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

Explorer
Explorer
HERE
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Explorer
Explorer
HERE

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Explorer
Explorer
HEREhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/7y9dnc4w5bpi952/20151127_170220.jpg?dl=0