cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vague installation instructions over-cab strut brackets

Christl
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks: Hope there are people out there with a similar rig (Lance 1181 on 2015 GMC 3500 long box DRW who can help me. I bought the Lance over-cab strut brackets Part # DS314 as Lance suggested for my truck. I asked for any available pictures showing the installation of them. Lance indicated they will come with detailed installation instructions. I already have the proper 30.5 inch long struts from the previous owner and my 2005 Lance 1181 has the brackets already mounted on the over-cab for the previous owner's mid 2000's 3500 GMC. I have watched a video of installing the strut brackets overtop of the hood hinges on a ford 250. The instructions from Lance which came with the package of hood brackets leaves much to be desired and did not include any pictures. Instructions are as follow:
1. Remove both inner fender weather seals.
No explanation is provided as to why and any videos on web sites do not show them being removed. I am assuming this means the front inner fender wheel covers?
2. Remove both cowling end caps.
I am assuming these are the plastic caps that fit (fill-in) between top of fender, the window edge and truck hood? That makes sense and I have removed them to look at the exposed hood hinge.
3. Remove radio antenna.
- No explanation is provided and I assume it is the antenna mounted on the passenger truck fender and it does not suggest to reinstall it?
4. Remove driver side hood hinge bolts (save). Procedure requires two people.
- This is pretty straight forward.
5. Install driver side bracket with saved bolts. Position bracket to achieve greatest distance between bracket and fender. Repeat on passenger side.
- I am not sure what this means however holes in bracket appear very slightly oval shaped in a perpendicular direction upon close inspection?
6. Trim cowling end caps to accommodate brackets.
- No picture is provided however it is assumed cowling end caps can be made to fit again (just keep on trimming away until it does)?
7. Reinstall end caps and seals?
- Again I am assuming the seals mean the inner fender covers?
Is there anyone who could provide me with better instructions and/or pictures which are specific for my 2015 3500 GMC truck? Thanks christl
2 REPLIES 2

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
from your description it is not too dissimilar to my F350. My guess is the inner fender well needs to be removed to access the nuts.

this is how the strut mount attaches to my truck

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
If you dont get any help here, you may try the forum at http://www.lanceowners.org/

Good luck.
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD