cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Venting AGM Batteries

chobe2
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to put two AGM batteries inside our truck camper under the dinette seat. My research is giving me mixed messages about venting so I wrote Lifeline and asked them. This is their reply:
"They should be vented to the outside. They can safely sit under the dinette but they should be in a box and that box should be vented to the outside."

I have read about many who have installed these batteries under the seats with no venting but maybe this is not safe to do?? What do you all think?
2015 Ram 3500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, SB, SRW, 4WD, Fox Shocks, Helwig Bigwig, Timbrens, Torklift Talons & Fastguns

2007 Lance 845 WIP - Wish List: 200w Solar, MPPT Controller, Two AGM Batteries, 1500w Inverter, Microwave, Awning(s), etc...More Money!
21 REPLIES 21

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am another posting Joe Schmo. I have had an AGM inside my TC without venting since 2005. Never had an issue. I would not put it in a sealed container. I believe it is pretty much spelled out in the literature. Most people do not realize that many if not most computer UPS's use AGMs, and they are vented into the room they are placed.

If you ask the manufacture any question, keep in mind the attorney's have their input.

Lots of people confuse gel cell batteries with AGM batteries.

Lifeline says:
"Never install batteries in an airtight or sealed enclosure and make sure installation is adequately ventilated."

Key words, "airtight" and "sealed enclosure".

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
If you overcharge your AGM batteries, you can generate hydrogen gas:

https://www.boats.com/how-to/sealed-batteries-still-need-venting/
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Hydrogen rises and acid mist sinks. A closed box with a vent will aid in releasing H gas.

I have had AGMs on their sides and under the rear seat in the van for over a year. If they were emitting acid, don't you think there would be a blemish on the carpet? A van is not a sealed compartment, and is therefore its own vent. There are too many cubic feet for any dangerous accumulation.

I also keep AGMs in the TT under the dinette seat. The space under the dinette seat is not a sealed compartment and your RV is too large for any dangerous accumulation.

Thermal runaway is your real concern and a plastic box will be of little help.

IMHO and YMMV.

HTH;
John

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Four Wheel Camper and they install AGM batteries with no venting....they sell hundreds, if not thousands of campers.

I have two AGM in mine and have no issues and have never heard of any complaints from owners or on the forums. Other manufacturers do the same, All Terrain Campers and Phoenix come to mind.
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
chobe2 wrote:
We would like to put two AGM batteries inside our truck camper under the dinette seat. My research is giving me mixed messages about venting so I wrote Lifeline and asked them. This is their reply:
"They should be vented to the outside. They can safely sit under the dinette but they should be in a box and that box should be vented to the outside."

I have read about many who have installed these batteries under the seats with no venting but maybe this is not safe to do?? What do you all think?

I think you should follow what the experts (the manufacturers of the batteries) tell you to do rather than what any Joe Schmo posts on an internet forum.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I smell acid every now and then from my AGMs, so I guess it's a good idea to vent them. I wouldn't hesistate to try what you want anyway...see if you get any odors.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read yes and no so many times when I put my AGM inside my camper I used the vent system from the old wet cell. It was all ready there. Personally, I would vent them.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.