cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Venting AGM Batteries

chobe2
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to put two AGM batteries inside our truck camper under the dinette seat. My research is giving me mixed messages about venting so I wrote Lifeline and asked them. This is their reply:
"They should be vented to the outside. They can safely sit under the dinette but they should be in a box and that box should be vented to the outside."

I have read about many who have installed these batteries under the seats with no venting but maybe this is not safe to do?? What do you all think?
2015 Ram 3500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, SB, SRW, 4WD, Fox Shocks, Helwig Bigwig, Timbrens, Torklift Talons & Fastguns

2007 Lance 845 WIP - Wish List: 200w Solar, MPPT Controller, Two AGM Batteries, 1500w Inverter, Microwave, Awning(s), etc...More Money!
21 REPLIES 21

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Venting is a very good idea for flooded cells. If there are regulations, they exist for those, even if the camper is originally delivered with AGM batteries. You never know what will happen in a future replacement. Flooded cells off-gas hydrogen as part of the normal charging process, which is by itself explosive and condenses to acid. AGMs do not off-gas in normal operation, only in extraordinary circumstances, if they do it more than a couple of times they are dead and you are going to be replacing them.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I understand the venting is in NEC and RVIA requires following NEC.
No I do not have a book and am not an expert. Have stayed at a few Holiday Inn however.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
rottidawg wrote:
smkettner wrote:
Yes RVIA standards require venting.

If so then why do many camper companies not vent there AGM batteries? Like I said before, FWC and ATC sell a lot of campers and they do not use vents. They are also manufactured in Kalifornia which has a rule/law for everything.

I would also appreciate hearing the answer to this.

Cite the RVIA regulation. ๐Ÿ™‚

I debate this not to be for or against venting batteries.

The word 'regulation' implies civil authority. Isn't it true that the RVIA is only a voluntary mfgrs association with standards for certification? Is there a civil penalty involved if an RV does not have the decal?

Further, this box must have two vents; one low in the box and vented outside and below the box and, the second vent high in the box and vented outside higher than the box. This allows the safe(?) exit of both H gas and acid mist.

HTH;
John

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Yes RVIA standards require venting.

If so then why do many camper companies not vent there AGM batteries? Like I said before, FWC and ATC sell a lot of campers and they do not use vents. They are also manufactured in Kalifornia which has a rule/law for everything.
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes RVIA standards require venting. With a quality battery and reliable charging system I would probably skip it but hard to recommend for others to do.

Optima D31T has a vent connection to attach a small tube. Not quite as space efficient but no box may help.

See Google Images "Optima D31T"

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will stand by what Lifeline says in their literature/manual. We can do lots of things differently, but it does not make them necessary.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
For those of you with "sealed" boxes are they airtight?

No, I would not say 'airtight'. Was going to put that in my post, but got lazy. Mine do have rubber gaskets around the lids, but there is some slop where the cables enter the boxes.
Cal

chobe2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. You guys seem to be split down the middle. I guess we'll just have to decide which way to go...hate to make another hole in the camper. Maybe, better safe than sorry.
2015 Ram 3500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, SB, SRW, 4WD, Fox Shocks, Helwig Bigwig, Timbrens, Torklift Talons & Fastguns

2007 Lance 845 WIP - Wish List: 200w Solar, MPPT Controller, Two AGM Batteries, 1500w Inverter, Microwave, Awning(s), etc...More Money!

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
AGM s dont need to be vented as they are sealed..

If however one or two cells broke as happened to me it would release gas
when charged..I only noticed this when battery didnt hold charge,,didnt smell anything though..

Btw the battery was made in China..

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
AGMs are commonly installed in boats with no outside venting. Usually there is no way to do it. If your AGMs are venting gas, you are abusing them in some way and they won't be doing it for long!
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
For those of you with "sealed" boxes are they airtight?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4 AGM batteries in my Outfitter, 3 under one seat, 1 under the other, all in sealed boxes without vents. Been there for 9 years now, no problems. Yes -- the same batteries for 9 years.
Cal

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Not venting is fine until a cell shorts and hydrogen sulfide gas is produced. It smells to high heaven and is quite poisoness. My AGM's are vented to the great outdoors.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Northstar came with a pair of grp 31 AGMs mounted under the sink area. No sealed compartment vented to the outside. No vent's period. I don't lose any sleep over it.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer