cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

W/D Hitches

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
we need to replace/upgrade our w/d hitch, at least ive been told so by a couple of dealers

we tow a 21 ft 2600 lb(dry) so probably closer to 3200, tandem axle travel trailer with a dodge Dakota pu. when we bought the trailer 6 years ago it came with a wd hitch and we had no issues leveling everything. but I cant level it now!! trailer is level but the truck squats in the rear.

the hitch is an older model(20 yrs or so) where the weight bars slide on the top of the trailer A frame for sway control. we've done almost 50,000 km on this tow combination with no issues except the levelling

suggestions? the pro series from reese is everywhere around here, off the shelf, comments?
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260
13 REPLIES 13

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer

With the exception of just a few specialty hitches, all WD hitches work effectively the same way including equal performance. Some do have some minor handier features for connecting. IMO, they vary widely in price, mostly because of promotional hype.

I recommend Eaz-Lift brand WD hitches. One reason is that they were the original WD hitch invention and probably still make the special spring-steel WD bars for other brands, as they did for years.

The most important reason for using Eaz-lift is that they are the most economical. If you buy new, they come in at around $200 complete for up to 800#'s/ tongue rate which should be sufficient. There is nothing wrong with similar used hitches, if they are not too worn either. Save your money for fuel. It won't be cheap forever.

I would consider ordering from Camping World or PPL in Texas for best prices and service.

P.S.
I'm actually using an Eaz-Lift now although I still own the expensive Hensley in my sig.

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
the dealer is ron clark motors, they are a ford dealer and have an rv dealership as well, not sure what rv s they sell though

they are near sarnia, Ontario, an hour west of London, 3 hours west of toronto
2008 KZ Spree 260

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
we paid a visit to our local rv dealer yesterday, one of those old school friendly family owned type places so rare these days and described the issues

the hitch we have is still available, but for our trailer they recommended an upgrade. they carry the husky brand, an 800 lb tongue wt, 8000 lb trailer wt all installed/setup etc etc for around 500 bucks with sway control. if smaller bars are needed, the'll just switch em over

sure a little pricier than buying online and fiddling with it myself, but somethings are better left to the experts

these are the type of people who will sell you used stuff if the budget is tight, I replaced the 20 yr old waterheater with a 5 yr old one and got a longer but used awning/roller from them already, plus a used fridge door and a used roof ac cover, my kind of dealer!!

Which dealer is this?

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
fireman41 wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
Look at the Andersen hitch, also. It works extremely well for us.

X2 on the Anderson no sway.
With a trailer that small it would have no problem moving the weight.

X3
I tow a 3200lb trailer (when fully loaded) with the Andersen No Sway WDH, very easy to install/adjust and only weigh 53lb !

Believe me - if I can do this by myself - ANYBODY CAN DO THIS!

A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
we paid a visit to our local rv dealer yesterday, one of those old school friendly family owned type places so rare these days and described the issues

the hitch we have is still available, but for our trailer they recommended an upgrade. they carry the husky brand, an 800 lb tongue wt, 8000 lb trailer wt all installed/setup etc etc for around 500 bucks with sway control. if smaller bars are needed, the'll just switch em over

sure a little pricier than buying online and fiddling with it myself, but somethings are better left to the experts

these are the type of people who will sell you used stuff if the budget is tight, I replaced the 20 yr old waterheater with a 5 yr old one and got a longer but used awning/roller from them already, plus a used fridge door and a used roof ac cover, my kind of dealer!!
2008 KZ Spree 260

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
for smaller TT, i love the E2 hitch that i have. 600lb TW bars, 6,000lb max TT weight. Easy to setup, has worked very well so far for my needs.

I believe if you were to ever get a larger TT, the only thing needed is to change the bars, everything else is the same.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:

X2 on the anderson no sawy.
With a trailer that small it would have no problem moving the weight.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Level and/or rear squat means nothing. The purpose of weight distribution is to restore the original weight on the front axle back to the axle for proper handling/steering.

When you put weight on the hitch, the truck should squat just like when you put weight in the bed.

BTW, if the factory dry weight is 2,600# the loaded weight is likely wayyyyy over 3,200#. First step is get the trailer weighed while loaded and ready for camping.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
the truck suspension is fine, new shocks, good springs, rides level normally
yes the hitch is the now discontinued reese. the ball mount rotates to adjust bar tension and the wd bars reach back and up to the top of the a frame where they slide on brakepad material for sway control. the ball mounted is adjusted for max transfer

reading the specs for it indicates that we are definetly near to or over the load specs

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=reese+mini+350

my link doesn't seem to work

http://www.reeseprod.com/products/weight-distribution/light-duty-wd/350-mini-wd/xihofqeC8HJjZZHcC5mjH4C2gQ0U38ci
2008 KZ Spree 260

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
the hitch is an older model(20 yrs or so) where the weight bars slide on the top of the trailer A frame for sway control. we've done almost 50,000 km on this tow combination with no issues except the leveling.
Can you post a photo of the hitch?

I've never seen a WDH which has weight bars which slide on the top of the frame. Seems as though that would make it very hard to adjust.

Does the WDH have a ball mount which can be adjusted for rearward tilt? If so, perhaps the ball mount has slipped so that it is no longer tilted enough to load the WD bars?

Ron

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
...the hitch is an older model(20 yrs or so) where the weight bars slide on the top of the trailer A frame for sway control. we've done almost 50,000 km on this tow combination with no issues except the leveling ...

Sounds to me like it may be a Reese Mini 350 which has now been discontinued and if so would have been underrated for the task at hand anyway as you're likely running somewhere around 450 lbs of gross tongue weight, or should be with a trailer with an estimated GVW of about 3200 lbs. I'd agree though that if your truck is now sagging in the rear when it didn't used to that you need to look into the truck's suspension first before addressing the WD issue. Once you do though consider a Blue Ox Sway Pro with 550 lb spring bars - perfect for your application and should you ever switch trailers to something heavier (or even lighter) all you'd have to replace are the WD spring bars as everything else with the Sway Pro system remains the same regardless of the size / weight of the trailer you're towing.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me it's not the WD but the truck's suspension. If it was level before for years and now the truck squats then it's the truck.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!